Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeEatmon View Post
Out of all the forums I've ever been a part of in any arena, this is by far the best with the most information and people's willingness to share their thoughts/experiences. Thanks guys for all of the great feedback!
The sleeping 6 comfortably most of the time is a must. The following will be traveling together:
My mother, my father (60's), Myself and my wife (40's) ,and our 2 children 8 and 4 years old. This is the very most important part to me.
For a new coach, the Newmar Ventana 4037 is the front runner as it stands now, but it is still over my $200,000.00 budget. It just meets the need perfectly from a floorplan prospective and its a really solid brand. Thanks again to all who opened up my eyes to considering a Tag. I'm still very open and continue to search for a used coach as well. Please keep the feedback and information coming. Can't say enough about how much I appreciate it!

Dood look, the ventana 4037 brand new is pretty kick butt. No lie there. If you think it fits your needs AND you think you can own it for long a time AND you are ok with the depreciation - BUY IT.

It's really very very lovely - newmar nailed it with this one. IF they could allow you to order with a 3rd a/c, i would do that in a heartbeat.

I don't think there's any foul in this model for the 14 and 15 year model. My wife and I hunted them hard, and aside from the fact that only one interior "decor" is worth a darn, it really seems on the up and up.

The 14 15 ventana is the DSDP (dutch star diesel pusher) of several years ago.

Shoot for 27% off MSRP, no less. Again, PM me if you want info on how to deal with this like a boss.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #58

I'm not sure how I feel about Country Coach in that they are out of business. You can buy quality (2005 to 2008) coaches from American Coach, Newmar and Entegra for $200 and even a Newell or Foretravel in the 2000 to 2004 area!

You can't get better than Newell or Foretravel... Prevost is a great coach buy you'll pay another $15,000 to $30,000 for it!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodsman View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about Country Coach in that they are out of business. You can buy quality (2005 to 2008) coaches from American Coach, Newmar and Entegra for $200 and even a Newell or Foretravel in the 2000 to 2004 area!

You can't get better than Newell or Foretravel... Prevost is a great coach buy you'll pay another $15,000 to $30,000 for it!
Country Coach is still solidly in business - they aren't making coaches right now, but they are alive and well in the parts and maint department. Plus they have been buying used CC's, repairing - replacing, fixing up and reselling for some pretty high dollar.

I overheard they are considering making new coaches in the near future - and I solidly support that move

I highly doubt the OP will enjoy the lack of 4 slides with 6 people on board. he might also dislike the more difficult time finding support for the foretravel, or the cost of support on the prevost. he might also not enjoy the 45'

That being said, the Prevost is one heck of a toy - there's millions of them as passenger buses for a reason.

OP, you might gander at foretravel of texas - started as a family owned business in texas, recently they sold out - but still in texas. Lots of used models on their website to preview.

I do agree that the OP can find a floorplan similar to the Ventana 4037 in the American Coach REV and Tradition 08 09 and end up with a better, more solid machine in the long run.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #60

Hi Jay & Andrea,

Thanks for your contributions, you provide good information without the "I've got the answers and that's how it is"! If I have found nothing else, it's there are not as many absolutes in motor-homing as we sometimes think.

One thing that I think is very important, especially for a new-be is customer service! I don't know about all of them but I know that Newell and American Coach customer service are legendary.

Harry
Old 10-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #61

I just jumped over to the Tiffen owners forum. I cant believe what they have to go through to get service. There is a forum for camp redbay status. Whoa
Old 10-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #62

Hi isellem,

As I said earlier, I don't know about the other coach companies but I know that Newell and American Coach are well known for their superior 24/7 phone service. And it makes no difference if your the 1st owner or 5th owner, if you own their coach is all they need to know!

Are there others you guys know of?

Harry
Old 10-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeEatmon View Post
...The sleeping 6 comfortably most of the time is a must. The following will be traveling together:
My mother, my father (60's), Myself and my wife (40's) ,and our 2 children 8 and 4 years old. This is the very most important part to me.
For a new coach, the Newmar Ventana 4037 is the front runner as it stands now, but it is still over my $200,000.00 budget. ...
That being said with 4 adults I would DEFINITELY look at a floor plan with 1.5 baths.

I would also consider the 3rd AC unit based on a couple factors. 6 people can add a lot of heat to a coach. Also, if you think you will be out in the open a lot, such as at NASCAR events, it could be of help.

The disadvantage of a 40' with a tag will be in reduction of basement space compared to non-tags. If it has some kind of hydro heating system you will loose even more. Still...For trips over a weekend up through even a few weeks that should still give you a fair amount of basement space unless you plan on carrying lots of bulky stuff like beach umbrellas, grills and such. But, I don't think you should have any issues with wheel weights. The tag will give you added stability, brakes and CCC. With the Comfort Drive you will get SMOOTH handling. That being said...I would makes sure you get any unit weighed to find out the axle weights as delivered to see if you have any potential issues. As a rule of thumb, I suggest that you consider 1/2 of the weight of the stuff you stick in the basement will be on the front wheels and the other 1/2 on the back. So, if you get 1000# into the basement, 500# will be on the front axle. I would certainly be looking at having at least 750# of available weight on the front axle after you factor in full fuel, water and passengers. With only having 100 gal fuel tank, it could be even more reasonable to see more than 1000# of available weight for the front axle. You will be surprised at how quickly you can add weight to the coach after being loaded for a 2 week trip for 4 adults and 2 children. I wouldn't sweat the rear axle weights at all.

While I NEVER encourage anyone to exceed their budget, I would also caution you to consider the pros of getting something that doesn't meet your needs. Keep your eyes open for used models similar to this one.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
That being said with 4 adults I would DEFINITELY look at a floor plan with 1.5 baths.

I would also consider the 3rd AC unit based on a couple factors. 6 people can add a lot of heat to a coach. Also, if you think you will be out in the open a lot, such as at NASCAR events, it could be of help......(edited for length)

BlakeEatmon, kudo's for including your parents in your planning. DW and I are in our 60's and family time for us is more important than ever and being able to experience the RV experience together is priceless.

Sky-Boss has given some solid advice. If you haven't traveled with 6 folks in an RV there are challenges. In hot, humid areas I believe you'll find the 3rd A/C a necessity rather than an option. The same goes for the 1.5 bath. A byproduct of the 3 A/C unit is the larger generator which provides all of the conceivable electricity that you might need. Best of luck in your search and enjoy your travels.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #65

If you are planning to take your parents along on a fairly regular basis, I would highly recommend bunk beds for the kids. Unfortunately, the only Country Coach that came with bunk beds was the Affinity Silverado Trail, which may exist only in the brochures--I haven't seen one yet. And if one does exist, it would be above your stated budget. So there is no Country Coach I can recommend. However, there are a number of bunk bed models out there--unfortunately I haven't seen one that also has a bath and a half.
We used to travel quite a bit with our grandchildren when they were young, and they quickly grew tired of watching the road and scenery, so we put them in the bedroom and let them watch videos. All of the bunk bed models I have seen have individual TV in each bunk, so they can watch TV, videos, or play games in their own little area. You have your own area in the bedroom and parents in the living room, so everyone has a private area at night. While a second bath would be nice, you probably need to make use of the campground showers with that many people in the coach. Give it some thought!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
If you are planning to take your parents along on a fairly regular basis, I would highly recommend bunk beds for the kids. ...
I almost recommended the same but I THINK bunk bed models are not in favor for most buyers and can be a little harder to sell later. Not hugely but a little more so. I would recommend bunks in a used model under the theory the OP is gonna LOVE RVing but will want to upgrade later when there is no longer a need to sleep 6.

Not a bad suggestion though.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bunk beds may hinder resale value but we are very happy we have them. Fleetwood Discovery 40G. We have a king size sleep number bed, the kids have the bunks and we have the fold out inflatable sofa bed for guests. Love the layout, storage, amenities and ride but an extra half bath would be nice.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the OP should buy a used Jayco popup and a used Expedition and with all of the money he saved, send 1/2 of it to me.

Ken
Old 10-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Got a $200,000 budget. What would you buy?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412344557.698818.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	75597Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412344571.488961.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	75598Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412344582.243927.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	75599Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412344597.018348.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	75600Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412344611.117727.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	75601

We love the layout in our coach, and the bunks. To the contrary above, we found the bunk bed layout highly sought after and hard to find. Can convert to an awesome office area later too, if one so chooses.

3 A/c units, DP, perfect sized fuel efficient engine with plenty of torque, almost 57% loa/wheelbase ratio drives like a dream, fingertip control even passing big rigs, washer/dryer, living room tv located where you can actually see it without looking sideways or up and even another above driver/passenger seat for the cook in the forward kitchen, one in the bedroom, one outside, and one in each bunk (DVD) with wireless headphones for the kids, etc, etc..

Cheers!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #70

Alpha99, that's a great looking floorplan. We weer looking for bunk coaches once as well. It seems they are highly sought after as there are so few produced.

Are those full length bunks or kiddy bunks? That was something else we discovered, that some would not work for adults.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote