Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Got a software update and lost power!!

Recently I took the coach in to a truck shop and they changed my serpentine belt, and did the software updates. When I picked it up it didn’t seem to have as much get up and go, but I thought it was my imagination. I headed up the mountain today and I really had a lot less power than usual. If I put it on cruise control it goes like it always did. I’m not sure what happened? Any ideas? The engine is a cummins 425 HP. ISL. Regards
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #2

What response did the shop that did the work tell you when you called?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #3

It is possible that a previous owner or shop changed the engine profile to add HP or torque and the update restored the factory settings.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #4

Got a software update and lost power!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvadventure View Post
...If I put it on cruise control it goes like it always did....

This confirms that there is nothing wrong with the engine or it’s programming. It also confirms that there IS something wrong with the throttle position sensor. You can push the pedal all the way to the floor, but the engine doesn’t know it’s wide open.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #5

I don't know about now, but I know that the early DD60 engines would produce what ever was programmed, but would produce max rated HP when the cruise was on and the set / accel switch toggle was held in the accel position.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
What response did the shop that did the work tell you when you called?
I haven’t asked them yet, mainly due to I don’t have a lot of confidence in them. My mistake I didn’t take it where I normally due because they had 40 jobs ahead of me, but they do great work. Thank you
Old 06-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
It is possible that a previous owner or shop changed the engine profile to add HP or torque and the update restored the factory settings.
I’ve had the updates done since then, not sure what caused it, but I’m taking it to my regular shop that has done work on all of my coaches. Thanks for the response. Regards
Old 06-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I also agree that you have a problem with the throttle position sensor. If cruise control acts normal there's no engine problem such as clogged fuel filters etc. It's not convenient but use the cruise control until you can get it to your mechanic.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
This confirms that there is nothing wrong with the engine or it’s programming. It also confirms that there IS something wrong with the throttle position sensor. You can push the pedal all the way to the floor, but the engine doesn’t know it’s wide open.
I think you are right on with this assessment, I called my regular shop and they said pretty much the same thing. Thanks for the response. Regards
Old 06-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure either, thanks for the response. Regards
Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I also agree that you have a problem with the throttle position sensor. If cruise control acts normal there's no engine problem such as clogged fuel filters etc. It's not convenient but use the cruise control until you can get it to your mechanic.
Thanks Tony, Hopefully they can just replace the sensor, once you do the update I don’t think you can reverse them, if that is what caused it. Regards
Old 06-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
What is your boost pressure while on full load both cruise ad foot throttle? Good tell on power out put.

LEN
Old 06-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Found the issue Yahoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvadventure View Post
Recently I took the coach in to a truck shop and they changed my serpentine belt, and did the software updates. When I picked it up it didn’t seem to have as much get up and go, but I thought it was my imagination. I headed up the mountain today and I really had a lot less power than usual. If I put it on cruise control it goes like it always did. I’m not sure what happened? Any ideas? The engine is a cummins 425 HP. ISL. Regards
Well I had an appointment to get this issue looked at, but over the weekend I started looking at threads, and as usual people on this forum came up with the answer. I found a thread from 2011 that gave the instructions on how to calibrate you acellerator to the engine and transmission. I took a picture of the instructions, but didn’t get the ID of the person who posted it. So whoever did this post I thank you, and will also post these easy to do instructions. My coach ran like a bat out of hell after I did the re- calibration. Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89A6DD58-1152-4280-8711-4CDD8537EC5B.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	207678   Click image for larger version

Name:	8E374C20-751A-4A8E-AEC2-C9172DF8B596.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	207679  

Tags
power