Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Got my BrakeSwitch installed!

A good friend on the forum sold me a BrakeSwitch that he had bought but didn't use and I got it installed yesterday. It works great! With the PacBrake switch on I can now remove my foot from the throttle and coast down the road without the PacBrake engaging, and then just a momentary press on the brake pedal will engage the PacBrake! The cruise control works fine with the BrakeSwitch also. I had some questions during the installation and Homer Hawks was great to help me out! He's really a nice guy to deal with!

I'm definitely a happy camper now!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
A good friend on the forum sold me a BrakeSwitch that he had bought but didn't use and I got it installed yesterday. It works great! With the PacBrake switch on I can now remove my foot from the throttle and coast down the road without the PacBrake engaging, and then just a momentary press on the brake pedal will engage the PacBrake! The cruise control works fine with the BrakeSwitch also. I had some questions during the installation and Homer Hawks was great to help me out! He's really a nice guy to deal with!

I installed a Brakeswitch, ( Brakeswitch, A better way to manage your diesel exhaust brake ), 2 years ago.
IMO, at <$95, it is one of the few accessories worth the time and money.
It automates the activation of the PacBrake making it work only if and when you need it.
Mel
'96 Safari, (Cat engine, Allison trans)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
That is one thing on my list to install this year. Have heard good things about it. Glad you got it installed and working. I know they have a Monaco installation diagram and I believe a picture, so that should help.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

Quote:

Congrats, I was interested to hear how it worked out.

Ted.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

I too think it's one of the best improvements you can do to your coach.

Mike
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarman View Post
That is one thing on my list to install this year. Have heard good things about it. Glad you got it installed and working. I know they have a Monaco installation diagram and I believe a picture, so that should help.
I don't think there is a "Monaco" installation diagram, but there is a Roadmaster diagram. I did find that the numbers and descriptions on the wires did not match what was on my MH. I talked with Homer Hawks and we got it figured out. You'll enjoy working with him!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone install one on a 2011 Cayman with the Cummins ISB 340HP 6.7L ? The wiring diagram and #s of the wires don't match the wires I have. Homer was very helpful, but the only way he thinks might work would be to go directly to the RED exhaust switch. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #8

Quote:

I have had the problem of my trailer brakes (electric) activating with the Pac Brake. I think you solved my quest to answer, What should the signal wire from brake controller be connected to. I also like the idea of Pac Brake engagement only when brake pedal is touched. Thank you.
RVH.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVH.O.G. View Post
.......... I also like the idea of Pac Brake engagement only when brake pedal is touched. Thank you.
Although I like the advantages the BrakeSwitch provides, one action does not work for me as others have described...

A "touch" of the brake pedal does NOT activate, (turn on), the PacBrake.... At takes a 1/2 to 1 second application of the brake pedal to turn the PacBrake ON.
A "touch" of the brake pedal DOES disengage, (turn off), the cruse control as it should.
All other actions, (throttle touch turns PacBrake off, coast, etc.), also work as described.

Has anyone else found that a mere "touch" of the brake pedal does not turn the PacBrake ON?
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, 250hp Cat, Allison 6 speed
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Although I like the advantages the BrakeSwitch provides, one action does not work for me as others have described...

A "touch" of the brake pedal does NOT activate, (turn on), the PacBrake.... At takes a 1/2 to 1 second application of the brake pedal to turn the PacBrake ON.
A "touch" of the brake pedal DOES disengage, (turn off), the cruse control as it should.
All other actions, (throttle touch turns PacBrake off, coast, etc.), also work as described.

Has anyone else found that a mere "touch" of the brake pedal does not turn the PacBrake ON?
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, 250hp Cat, Allison 6 speed

That's the way it works on mine and I like that. I can disengage cruise control without engaging the exhaust brake. If I want the exhaust brake I hold the brake pedal down more that a "touch", perhaps a couple of seconds just as you describe.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
That's the way it works on mine and I like that. I can disengage cruise control without engaging the exhaust brake. If I want the exhaust brake I hold the brake pedal down more that a "touch", perhaps a couple of seconds just as you describe.
Bob
Thanks for the reply and the accurate description!
There is a big difference between "touching the brake pedal" and "holding the brake pedal down"... even momentarily.
Because I have to hold my brake pedal down momentarily to activate the PacBrake, (longer than the often described "touch"), I was concerned that my BrakeSwitch was not operating as it should.
Your post has eased my mind.
Thanks again.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This was one of the first things I installed on my DP after purchasing it. As stated, the owner Homer, is very helpful,and talked me through my installation over the phone.

My brake pedal needs more than a slight tap, but it works in the blink of an eye. One of the best mods I have added. You basically set and forget the exhaust brake, unless you need to turn it off in in-climate weather.

When I bought mine, Homer offered 10% off to FMCA members, but I'm not sure if he still does this.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote