Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Got my Class B license!

Now I can legally drive my MH that we just got three weeks ago!

gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #2

What was it like getting a Class B in NC? Are you allowed to skip the commercial portions of the test if operating a private vehicle?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Correct. I was tested on only certain parts of the CDL manual. It wasn't difficult but I did have to take the written exam a second time before I passed. The driving test was not difficult at all. No backing or parallel parking like CDL drivers have to do.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Congrats. I hope your testing wasn't too difficult. Mine wasn't, but sometimes the DMV examiners are more "picky" in some areas than others.
I'm sure the OP will respond to your question, but for me the overall testing was pretty easy. I was given a CDL study guide to read the chapters on air brakes and general driving rules. After a computer exam on those was passed, we drove my MH down the road for about 20 to 30 minutes. I had to show the examiner my "pre-flight" check of the air brake system and the other usual items, lights, turn signals, wipers, etc. I was required to back up about 50-100 feet. I guess just to see if I could do it.
I didn't say how I got the MH to the examining facility for the road test, and they didn't ask.
Tim,,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #5

good for you... it looks like different states have different rules. when i took my test 2 years ago, there were three parts:
1) written exam - on computer chose a correct answer among 4 choices for each question.
2) pre-check - they asked me to explain major components of engine compartment, particularly air compressor location, hydraulic level checking, etc. they asked questions while walking around the rig, all related to safety and basic functions. if one fails at this step, they wouldn't continue.
3) skill tests - there were 2 parts: (as a prerequisite they did check lights functions and testing air brake system), a) on site skill test on straight go-in/back-out, and alley docking; b) road tests.

i did well on 1), but took twice for 2), and twice on 3) before passing. they told me they don't care how i get there.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

Speaking for myself only, I have always been amazed, having driven commercial sized vehicles of all shapes and sizes for over 20 years that the federal DOT has not set a standard for drivers of certain size RV's. You need a commercial license in any state to drive a Greyhound bus, but can own and drive a comparably sized, and probably heavier RV, with a operators license.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #7

Congrats gmadams! I'm curious to know more about the pre-trip checklist. I took the written parts a couple of weeks ago and need to go take the driving portion.
bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFDfireman90 View Post
......I have always been amazed, ....that the federal DOT has not set a standard for drivers of certain size RV's. You need a commercial license in any state to drive a Greyhound bus, but can own and drive a comparably sized, and probably heavier RV, with a operators license.

fireman... The theory is that if you're sitting in that Greyhound, you 're holding yourself out to the public and representing yourself as a trained, competent professional. In such a case the government has a compelling interest in assuring the public that you meet the standards you say you meet.

If you privately own a bus, and carry only family members or personal friends, not for hire, then the government has no such compelling interest, and therefore only requires you to meet the minimum standards for licensing.

At least , that's the theory.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think most of our licenses out here in California come out of Cracker Jack Boxes.

The test is....can you open the box. Some fail of course but they still drive.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassrv View Post
Congrats gmadams! I'm curious to know more about the pre-trip checklist. I took the written parts a couple of weeks ago and need to go take the driving portion.
bluegrassrv - I was concerned about the pre-trip checklist and studied what the manual said. When I went to take the driving test all I had to do was drive. I did have to pull over off the road on a gravel shoulder and answer a question about my procedures for stopping for an emergency. I did not have to back up or parallel park. Nor did we do the walk around and pre-trip checklist. According to the DMV person, the parallel parking is for the professionals and not required for my license.

BTW - if you are a NC veteran you can now get your drivers license with "Veteran" on it. For me since I don't have any other form of government ID showing that I'm a veteran other than my DD214 it was a no brainer. I did have to show my DD214 to prove that I am a veteran though.

Gary