Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Got the Bug! - Newbie

Hello iRV2!
We are going through an arctic blast in Minnesota which always makes me start thinking of Spring!

This year I'm doing it folks; yup sticking a toe into the RV dark-side. Family of 5 + small dog. Kids under 10.

Need some help!

With bills and commitments the way they are, I am looking at a $40-50K range. In that range I am looking at a diesel pusher. A DP mainly because I rented a gas Class A years ago and I found the rig to be more like driving a converted school bus. A lot of rattling and felt it underpowered.

OK, so a DP... now what? I am finding quite a few in that range with miles that range from 25,000 - 110,000.

The problem is that I feel a little out of my element here. If we were talking cars I would understand the difference between a Chevy and Cadi. Not in RVs. So what are the Chevy and Cadillacs in RVs?

Here are some rigs available in our area;

1999 WINNEBAGO ULTIMATE FREEDOM JD 40' / 75k miles / Cat 330HP $45,000

1999 Country Coach Allure Deschutes 36' / 77k miles / Cummins 8.3L ISC 330HP - $44,000

2000 Fleetwood 38' / 80,000 / Cummins 300HP / 4 SPEED ALISON / FREIGHTLINER CHASSIS - $40,000 This one is nice w/new paint, tires, air bags, batteries, carpet, hoses, fluids

1998 Tiffin Allegro 40' / 26,000 / Cummins 330 HP, 6 speed Allison auto $38,000 - New tires, new slide seal

1999 Newmar Dutch Star 38' / 116,000 / Cat 300HP, $37,900 - New tires

2000 Newmar Dutch Star 3551 35' / Cat 300HP - $40,000

Some specific questions;
* Engine - 300? 330? Cat vs Cummins?
* Transmission - 4sp? 6sp?
* Generator - Min?
* Inverter - Size?
* Heat - forced air a must?

Aside from getting it professionally checked-out, what should I look for? What are some 'gotchas' you have seen?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Paul

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
At least one thing would be to check the age of the tires. Know how to read the date code. Anything over 7-8 years, even if they look good to you would be pushing it. Your easily looking at $2000.

2nd.... your going to have to find someone who knows diesels...(friend, local mechanic, Diesel shop...) Was this engine maintained right, filters changed, belts changed, air bags originals or newer, hydraulic jacks operating smoothly, hours on genny, was it maintained over the years.

These are all big dollar items, you will want to know before you go into any purchase negotiations.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:32 AM   #3

We had a 1999 Ultimate Freedom. Nice rig. Pull the rubber at the windshield and look for rust on the frame that holds the window. We had to have ours repaired at a cost of $3800.00 including new windshields. Also the air dryer will need to be pulled, cleaned and reinstalled with new filters.Ours was gummed up with sludge, water etc.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #4

First thing to do is determine where your kids are going to sleep and where you will store all their stuff. Many DP floor plans are not designed for families ( opinion). Of those listed, based on my now biased view, begin your deliberations with the Newmar's.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #5

Either Cat or Cummins engines will serve you just fine. Mileage on the diesel is not a bog deal as long as you know it has been well maintained. Make sure you get the maintenance records. Look at the paint and see if there is checking in the paint. Look sideways at the side panels and see if there are little checks in the paint under the clear coat. If that is an issue, you may have an issue with the clear coat coming off in the future. Make sure you have an independent inspector do a thorough inspection of the coach.

All of your questions have been answered in detail in previous posts in this forum. Search though the posts and read as much as you can.

I like Newman and Country Coach as my first choices in your list. Tiffin is also a great choice.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #6

A family with 3 younger kids, a dog, and $40-$50k budget, seems to me a newer used Class C would be a better choice in so many ways..........

Remember, whatever MH, add in $3k or so for a toad set up, either Dolly or 4 down. Then add in outfitting it, and expected repairs upgrades you'll run into on any used unit.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoIDMan View Post
Hello iRV2!
We are going through an arctic blast in Minnesota which always makes me start thinking of Spring!

This year I'm doing it folks; yup sticking a toe into the RV dark-side. Family of 5 + small dog. Kids under 10.

Need some help!

With bills and commitments the way they are, I am looking at a $40-50K range. In that range I am looking at a diesel pusher. A DP mainly because I rented a gas Class A years ago and I found the rig to be more like driving a converted school bus. A lot of rattling and felt it underpowered.

OK, so a DP... now what? I am finding quite a few in that range with miles that range from 25,000 - 110,000.

The problem is that I feel a little out of my element here. If we were talking cars I would understand the difference between a Chevy and Cadi. Not in RVs. So what are the Chevy and Cadillacs in RVs?

Here are some rigs available in our area;

1999 WINNEBAGO ULTIMATE FREEDOM JD 40' / 75k miles / Cat 330HP $45,000

1999 Country Coach Allure Deschutes 36' / 77k miles / Cummins 8.3L ISC 330HP - $44,000

2000 Fleetwood 38' / 80,000 / Cummins 300HP / 4 SPEED ALISON / FREIGHTLINER CHASSIS - $40,000 This one is nice w/new paint, tires, air bags, batteries, carpet, hoses, fluids

1998 Tiffin Allegro 40' / 26,000 / Cummins 330 HP, 6 speed Allison auto $38,000 - New tires, new slide seal

1999 Newmar Dutch Star 38' / 116,000 / Cat 300HP, $37,900 - New tires

2000 Newmar Dutch Star 3551 35' / Cat 300HP - $40,000

Some specific questions;
* Engine - 300? 330? Cat vs Cummins?
* Transmission - 4sp? 6sp?
* Generator - Min?
* Inverter - Size?
* Heat - forced air a must?

Aside from getting it professionally checked-out, what should I look for? What are some 'gotchas' you have seen?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Paul
Morning from a fellow minnesotaian,
Not sure why you say a diesel I have a 454 in mine and my toad is a 99 deville . The 454 pulls it like a breeze, yes a little slower in the hills but we are retired and are in no hurry.
Gas is usually cheaper to purchase and a gasser is cheaper to operate than a diesel.
Currently in Az and temps are in the upper 60ties lower 70dies. AHA I heard its cold up there....
JS,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
This is great info! Thank you all.

The main reason I am looking for a DP is the comfort, size, air ride, etc. I am not sure I would find that in either a Class C or in a gas DP. I could be wrong after all I am a newb.

And yes, most definitely yes, I plan on spending the $$ to have it checked professionally.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

CryptoIDMan,
So I am looking for something similar and can offer you the perspective of someone that owns a class c currently. We have a Fleetwood Tioga 31W which has been great for the last few years but we spend WAY more time on the road that camped.
We have gone on the road for the last 2 summers for about 9000 miles over 6 weeks.

For this reason, we are contemplating migrating to a slightly larger DP for all the reasons you mention. Better ride, comfort, power etc..
The class c works excellent for storage and sleeping. IMHO, it falls short for long distance trips for several reasons. The ride can be a bit bouncy. I spent 3 days in rear bedroom sick as a dog and could not rest at all as the ride was so bad. Its much better as you get closer up front but still feels a bit rough.
2nd major issue was the generator under the rear bedroom. We traveled out west where we needed the genny every night and trying to sleep with that noise directly under you was difficult.
Smaller issues like all of us crowded around the hump to try and see out the windows, stopping for fuel every day (often at night when tired because we let the tank drain to much and could not use the generator for AC unless at least 1/4 tank), searching for water and dump stations every other day. etc..

I would much prefer a DP with bunk beds but they are hard to find and typically run about 100K which is way more than I can spend. We are looking for something in the 60K range for us and have all the same concerns as you. Hence I am here again researching what we would like to move to next.
Yes, setting up and breaking down couches at night will be a pain but i think all the advantages of the DP will be worth it.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks so much Relay! That is great information. I was really starting to doubt myself after the previous post about C's.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Paul, just a little different perspective here. You are a young family, probably still working and will be for quite some time. Motorhomes are great if you're going to be doing a LOT of extended traveling, but like any vehicle, it's not good to leave them sitting for long periods of time. Plus, the maintenance cost is going to be a factor that you need to consider, especially with a DP.

I would suggest that you seriously consider a travel trailer or 5th wheel with bunk beds, maybe even a toy hauler if that's something that interests you. The maintenance would be minimal and you can save a lot of money at this stage of your life. This is a great way for a family to experience RV'ing with weekend trips and occasional longer ones. Then, when you are getting close to retirement and the kids are gone, you could find a really nice DP for the two of you.

We started RV'ing in 2001, and went through three 5th wheels over 11 years, while the DW and I were still running a business. Then, in 2012, after retiring and selling the business, we bought the DP to see the country. I would do the same thing again!

Not trying to talk you into anything, but just giving you some things to think about! I know some folks look at owning a motorhome as a "status" thing, but sometimes it's not what's best for every family. JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #12

CryptoIDMan, how far are you willing to travel to find a solid unit? I ask because often times the best deals tend to be hours away, or more. When I put in your budget at RVTrader one of the first rigs to come up was a very clean ForeTravel. . . . in Oregon. We drove to a dealer a little over 5 hours away to get our coach, but I would have driven further if needed.

As someone traveling in a DP with two small kids I can relate to your situation. We have two girls (5 & 6) and they sleep on the fold out couch. Once you get used to folding out the couch at night and putting it away in the morning it becomes one more part of the morning routine, like making the bed or shaving. The blankets and pillows go in the pull out storage under the lounge so it's no big deal. Granted we don't live full time in our rig, but we've spent three months straight in it and there was no issue.
With three kids you may want to budget for a booth dinette conversion. Most of the DPs we looked at (including ours) had the table and chairs. Two kids sharing a fold out couch is one thing but three may be a bit much.

Another question is, how handy are you? Installing a booth dinette isn't that big of a deal, but some people wouldn't even consider it. Replacing old CRT TVs, updating other electronics like the dash radio, back up camera, VHS to Blu Ray, satellite dish, etc. If you're a handy individual you can update many of the creature comforts while handling the small things that come up, saving a lot of money in the process. Money you'll need when it comes time to change the oil, or replace tires. By owning an RV you're picking up a new hobby, and the expenses that go with it.

If I were you I'd be looking at companies like Newmar, Travel Supreme, ForeTravel, American, Monaco, Holiday Rambler, etc. Try to find a rig with a side radiator (ease of service) and a sliding generator (again, ease of service). When we bought our current rig we went from looking at 36ft gas rigs for several months to older DPs when we realized what we could get for our money. Sure, all the floorplans are oriented towards two adults, but they are built to be lived in full time, and that changes things.

Just remember to find a rig whose TV can be viewed by all the kids while the slides are in.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Not seeing any ForeTravel in OR Scatterbrain. Nationwide I see three in the $25-60K range
Old 01-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #14

Interesting. There was one there earlier, now I'm just getting the two U270s.

Tags