Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

Gotta fix the wobbly dinette table ......

This forum always has great information from people who solved the same problem before me .... so here's another.

I really like sitting at our dinette booth. It is the perfect place for us to have coffee, work on the computers, play board games, etc.

But .... the table is very wobbly and needs to get more firmly attached. It has a cleat along the outside wall that allows the table to be removed for making the booth into a bed. There is also a 1" square metal leg that can fold flat when used as a bed.

We don't use it as a bed, don't ever plan to use it as a bed, so I'm willing to make the attachments more permanent and give up the bed option. A better table leg maybe? Fixed brackets to the wall? Looking for some ideas.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #2

Our Georgetown has two clips on the dinette outside wall and the table has hooks to match The wall clips have semi-circular nylon sliders that lock onto the table clips once they're seated. It gives the table a much more solid feel.

You might be able to find that type of clip at an RV parts place.

Also, the single leg has an over-center strengthener bracket.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
This forum always has great information from people who solved the same problem before me .... so here's another.

I really like sitting at our dinette booth. It is the perfect place for us to have coffee, work on the computers, play board games, etc.

But .... the table is very wobbly and needs to get more firmly attached. It has a cleat along the outside wall that allows the table to be removed for making the booth into a bed. There is also a 1" square metal leg that can fold flat when used as a bed.

We don't use it as a bed, don't ever plan to use it as a bed, so I'm willing to make the attachments more permanent and give up the bed option. A better table leg maybe? Fixed brackets to the wall? Looking for some ideas.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Hi, I had the same problem and made 2 fixes:
1. the cleat on the outside wall actually loosened up and there was no real great way to re-fasten it. I bought (2) 3/8" stainless steel carriage bolts, nuts and oversized flat washers (called fender washers) and drilled through the entire wall of the coach. the bolts are not noticeable on the outside and the cleat has been rock solid for 7 years.
2. the folding leg is just not good. I went to Camping World (or similar) and purchased a bolt down pedestal with removable tube to support the table.
Both of these fixes still allow the table to be folded down to a bed but greatly improve the table feature.
Have fun!
Old 03-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
roctoncon

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #5

Our table has two metal tabs that lower into two metal 'U' brackets mounted on the wall. Can't remember how I did it, but managed to bend the two table tabs so that the table was very wobbly. I carefully bent the tabs to the correct angle so that the further the tabs went into the brackets, the tighter the table was held to the wall. Also, might check to see if you can tighten the bolt that allows the inboard table brace(leg) to pivot...that can give you some 'table play' as well.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When my cleat mounted on the outside wall came loose, I installed the next size larger screws and plastic wall anchors to fasten the cleat to the wall. I also doubled the number of screws in the cleat. If you do the same, double check the length of screws needed so they won't go through the outside skin. Since I did the fix the table is rock solid. The leg on mine does not fold, it screws into a bracket on the bottom of the table.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #7

You can also use crush nuts behind the wall bracket, They are round with a flat round flange with 2 spikes sticking back toward wall, they come in all different sizes, drill a hole where the screws were just the size needed to tap these in with a hammer, insert the screw that comes with them and screw it in and you will feel it crush and tighten against the inside of the wall. Now take the screws back out install your bracket with these screws and it will be solid to the wall. These can be had at Lowes/ HD. The leg I agree get a pedestal mount and tube and you should have a secure table but still be able to take it out of there if you want for what ever reason.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #8

Thanks for all the great input. Looks like I'll make a better attachment to the outside wall. The table leg will get replaced with one of the round tube versions with the base pieces mounted to the floor and to the bottom of the table.

Questions for folks....the pedestal tubes are tapered at the ends to fit snugly in the base pieces. Since the wall cleat sets my current table height .... can I shorten a pedestal tube to get the height correct if needed?

Thanks
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our simple fix was to put "felt" material between the table top and wall. Lift up the table end by the isle and insert felt and then lower down. Takes all the "wobble" out of the table top. deSanford total cost 3 cents.

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote