Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
I thought about getting a gps also. I ended up purchasing a gps app for my ipad. I love the screen size. Sygic USA is the app I purchased. It's a very large app, but doesn't require a wifi connection to use, just the gps feature of the ipad. Incredible set of features with it.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Looked and the Rand Mcnally bought a Garmin. garmin is a proven product. The RM is fairly new and the Magellin no one buys for land navigation.
rm is not new, i had their gps unit and still have it back in the mid 90s

Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I am not sure what the forums exact rules are on product reviews but we have a Magellan and I am VERY disappointed with it. We may just have a bad one, but boy is it bad. I would not recommend it to anyone. Ours is going back where it came from.
Joshua 24:15
ChucknTammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
I'm still debating between the Rand McNally RVND™ 7710
TripMaker® RVND

and the Garmin Dezl 560LMT

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=275&pID=93853

I have 4 Garmins already and like them a lot. The RM is a bigger screen and has had some good reviews. However I have read that it can be hard to read due to glare even after putting on a glare shield. I'm thoroughly familiar with Garmin products so no retraining. RM has a lot of nice RM things that are not needed in a GPS but helpful for a total RV experience.

My gut reaction is that I will stick with Garmin.
I just bought the same Garmin Dezl 560LMT. I have had a Garmin for years and love it, but the new one can be configured for the RV and has lifetime updates and traffic alerts with lane assist. GPS City had the lowest price when searching.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just returned from our first trip with a RVND 7710. It worked as well as the Garmin we used for a comparison on the trip. Both units made similar routes, both units made similar mistakes in routing. I had no problems with glare, and really appreciated the sharp curve warnings, speed change warnings and the RV campground directory in the RM unit.
chasmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmatt View Post
I just returned from our first trip with a RVND 7710. It worked as well as the Garmin we used for a comparison on the trip. Both units made similar routes, both units made similar mistakes in routing. I had no problems with glare, and really appreciated the sharp curve warnings, speed change warnings and the RV campground directory in the RM unit.
THANKS! I still haven't made a final decision and you have only made it harder! Gee...did I really mean THANKS?! LOL

does the RM come with lifetime map updates and is it updated via PC/MAC? Does it have any option for traffic information?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I've had several magelans, my comfort level is pretty high with them, still i'll never buy another. Don't like that i cannot install third party poi files mostly. It is a very locked down system, they all were.

Will probably try the rm for the rv, maybe....

Just got streets and trips, it's a gas on the big screen, no help for me cause i cannot see it. Dw won't navigate... So no help at all...

I really need to find lots of good software that will support an android tablet. I think that is where the future is.

Oh, almost forgot.... Am i the only one bugged by a widescreen 9/16 gps that insists on eating up the limited verticle with variour useless things that should be on the sides?

If i designed one... The "me" would be just above the bottom, never in the middle.
There w
ould never be anything but map across the top and bottom of the screen. It would always have a compass display somewhere... (My magellan only displays a compass when not going on a route)
I would always be able to throw out and save a "breadcrumb"... I'd always be able to navigate to a lat long (magellan wont)
And just lots of other stuff ....
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the RM and like it alot with 1 complaint, the voice comands are sometimes broke up and hard to understand. If the road has a lengthy name the computer voice gets really chopped up and your like what did it say, in heavy traffic it can be frustrating maybe even dangerous. Otherwise we are very happy with all the RV features. Have not used the computer updates yet, or the tell Rand functions. Going to try the man voice on the next trip see if it is esier to understand.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
I've used a Magellan Roadmate 1700 for almost two years since it came out. It's the predecessor
of the 9145 and was the first commercial 7" screen GPS. It has been great and I will buy the next generation soon. The 7" screen is a vast improvement and the user interface is simple and direct. The added new RVing features will be a plus.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeyaarv
I've used a Magellan Roadmate 1700 for almost two years since it came out. It's the predecessor
of the 9145 and was the first commercial 7" screen GPS. It has been great and I will buy the next generation soon. The 7" screen is a vast improvement and the user interface is simple and direct. The added new RVing features will be a plus.
Should be 9165--not 9145.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #25

I've been researching the Dezl 560LMT and the RVND 5510 (7" screen too large for my pickup truck) for an RV-friendly replacement for my Nuvi 2460. Last night I spent two hours in bed reading a thread on this forum on the Rand McNally products on my 7" tablet. Anyway, I have my Nuvi mounted on a ProClip dashboard grill mount/holder just to the right of the steering wheel. Great visibility, easy to reach, and not as conspicuous as a window mount. The Dezl 560 would attach right to my ProClip holder without modification. I'm not sure how I would mount the RVND 5510 in this location. Also, I have my GPS connected into an ignition-powered 12V outlet. Nice. My Nuvi starts right up as soon as I turn on the ignition and without touching the device it goes to the map screen (after cycling through a couple of other screens automatically). I find this very convenient, particularly driving around town where I depend on my Nuvi for watching my speed (bad glare/lighting on the '07 Silverado 2500HD instrument panel). I think the Dezl 560 would operate the same. From what I've learned from the discussions on this forum, the RVND 5510 isn't going to operate like this and everytime you use the device you have to press the power button. Not a big deal but a lack of convenience for me. OTOH, I like the RV and safety features of the Rand McNally product and IMHO the Dezl 560LMLT is overpriced. It's a conundrum for sure with pros and cons, fans and detractors for both devices. I'll just keep following the discussions like this one for awhile longer and continue to read product reviews on the internet.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #26

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just got the RM and used it on a trip. First real GPS system other than the iphone (which was great, but we worried about heights, etc.) The RM was pretty cool, although we used our truckers atlas beforehand to assist. It was nice to see the estimated time of arrival, average speed, elevation, and even figuring out all the other stuff off exit - still learning it, but it's a keeper.
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Garmin DeZL for RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
I just bought the same Garmin Dezl 560LMT. I have had a Garmin for years and love it, but the new one can be configured for the RV and has lifetime updates and traffic alerts with lane assist. GPS City had the lowest price when searching.
I'm looking at which gps to buy as well. The Garmins seem to garner the most positive reviews at various online sites but the ones I have found are for trucks. Since they include height, weight, warnings, lane assist, etc., it sounds okay for us but the POIs are aimed towards their target market, truckers. Have you found a model of Garmin that has POIs for RVers? That would be superb. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
We also have the RM 7710 and like the RV specific features. In our cars we are a Tom Tom family and have gone through a few of their top line units (due to want for new unit and not problems). The latest software update for the 7710 really improved the functionality of the unit (update was released 1-2 months ago).

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps