Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #1

GPS

I am looking to purchase a GPS and would like to get some opinions on the following two GPS,s the Magellan RV9165T-LM and the Rand McNally RVND 7710GPS.
Thank You
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #2

Looked and the Rand Mcnally bought a Garmin. garmin is a proven product. The RM is fairly new and the Magellin no one buys for land navigation.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm still debating between the Rand McNally RVND™ 7710
TripMaker® RVND

and the Garmin Dezl 560LMT

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=275&pID=93853

I have 4 Garmins already and like them a lot. The RM is a bigger screen and has had some good reviews. However I have read that it can be hard to read due to glare even after putting on a glare shield. I'm thoroughly familiar with Garmin products so no retraining. RM has a lot of nice RM things that are not needed in a GPS but helpful for a total RV experience.

My gut reaction is that I will stick with Garmin.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIFFIT View Post
I am looking to purchase a GPS and would like to get some opinions on the following two GPS,s the Magellan RV9165T-LM and the Rand McNally RVND 7710GPS.
Thank You

Scroll down to Product Evaluations. There is a large thread on the RM7710. Seems that they put out a update that took care of most issues.
I'm thinking of ordering one.
Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a Magellan that I would have to send to someone to get a map update. As it is, it's 2005 vintage. I would like to get the RM7710 if I do upgrade. I already have the manual in PDF format. It's much better than the Magellan manual. I read them both. You can download both and take a look. Just go the their home page.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #6

I have the Magellan and a Garmin. Both have their quirks but have found the Garmin much better. Both have lifetime map updates. I don't like the fact that the Magellan will shows ads - currently shell gas stations. If my wife had not bought me the Magellan for Christmas I'd throw it away.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Rand McNally 7710 with lifetime maps. I really like it. SO far it has been very accurate, easy to see and program. I never had any other GPS except for Delorme Street Atlas which I ran from my laptop. The 7710 warns of low clearances and you can set the route either for RV or Car.
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Between the two you ask about, one differentiator is that the RM allows you to download and install 3rd party POIs; the Magellan does not.

Another is that the Magellan does have (limited) Bluetooth/phone paring, which the RM does not have.

As stated, several long threads comparing the units exist in the Tech sections.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thank You
I have both the Magellan and the RM-RVND 7710, I have been using the Magellan for 3 years now and just started using the RM, once I am used to it I feel it will be good. I like it for the RV features. You can't go wrong with eithor.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #10

Maybe i should be asking which GPS out there that is easier to use and more functional but have the same features as the 2 i mentioned. I will look at the forums in electronics also.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I am just posting some info to consider, I bought a GPS from Costco in Olympia Wa. in January 2010, it went bad in Indio Ca. February this year 2012. I went to the Indio Costco to ask them if someone could look at it, the salesperson asked if I had sales slip and cords etc. that came with it, and if I did, take to the return desk and get my money back. I had original box with slip and they refunded my original price. I went out on the floor and bought another better model and put the $100.00 left over in my pocket!
Something to think about!
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Maybe i should be asking which GPS out there that is easier to use and more functional but have the same features as the 2 i mentioned. I will look at the forums in electronics also.
easier to use for me is the Magellan, (only because I have used this one longer) More options is the RM for an RV. I am sticking with this one in the MH and moved the Magellan to the truck.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I just bought the RM 7710, replacing my garmin. I think we'll be happy with it. Won't know till our next trip. I really liked my garmin 2730, but I couldn't update maps anymore. CW is offering life time map updates with the RM 5510 and 7710. I had looked at the 7710 a few months ago, and did not buy because they did not offer lifetime updates. I liked the Rv friendly features on the RM, and the dezl 560. I chose the RM because of all the rv features.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
3 garmins still running spent a fortune on a magellan that rarely works and when it does its not much help at all, the newer garmins can be set up for car/rv/truck so it makes it nice
Tys03beaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps