Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #1

GPS

I had my first experience as a Class A owner this past year. I found a GPS to be invaluable but what I have is limited as it does not take into consideration the size of my motorhome. What I would like to know is what folks found to be the best GPS for a motorhome owner.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwm_newf View Post
I had my first experience as a Class A owner this past year. I found a GPS to be invaluable but what I have is limited as it does not take into consideration the size of my motorhome. What I would like to know is what folks found to be the best GPS for a motorhome owner.
Yes. Rand McNally makes one where you can input the size specs of your camper/MH and it's "supposed to" route you away from low bridges, etc.

I say "supposed to" only because I haven't been anywhere with low bridges to test it out

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwm_newf View Post
Magellan also makes a GPS for RVs. Allows inputting size, weight etc.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #4

Garmin also has a dedicated RV model, and their truck models also provide for entry of vehicle specs.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

I purchased a Bad Elf, which communicates with my IPad via Bluetooth. Then I purchased Co-Pilot for IPad. This uses downloaded maps so you can pre-plan your trip. It also allows you to set the RV height. Most of the reviews I read indicated that this was where other GPS failed and allowed routing under low underpasses.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Yes. Rand McNally makes one where you can input the size specs of your camper/MH and it's "supposed to" route you away from low bridges, etc.

I say "supposed to" only because I haven't been anywhere with low bridges to test it out
This looks like something I may buy.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In our first few years, we used Garmin and Tom Tom. Last year we bought the Rand McNally RV app for our I Pad. It took us most of the year to get up to speed with it, but it has become our preferred navigation tool. We find it very useful for navigation, finding campgrounds, rest stops, restaurants, fuel stations, etc.

Having said that, we learned a long time ago not to rely totally on any navigation device. It is wise to plan the trip before the trip begins.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have a Garmin 760. It also has the capability to put in your height, length, and weight and is suppose to route you around obstacles. So far we have not had any issues using it. WE have LTM (life time maps) so you can upgrade to get the most current information.

I've owned several Garmins and they seem to be getting better at who you navigate through the windows. The new ones allow you to select a specific city and do a search there, say for campgrounds or filling stations etc. Comes in handy. Seems like the POI (points of Interest) have improved.

Good luck on your decision, there are lots of options.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we have the Magellen which allows us to input our rv specs...so far so good....we can look ahead to rest areas, walmarts gas stations....but we support the gps with a current truck atlas and have mifi computer...can't be too careful when naviguessing.....
Old 11-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkerb View Post
...can't be too careful when naviguessing.....

Naviguessing....... I like that!

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the Good SAMs Rand McNally unit, so far I like it.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
I have the Good SAMs Rand McNally unit, so far I like it.
X2
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We own several Garmins in our cars and MH as well. The MH has the Garmin 760 DEZL with life time maps. I have a goose neck mount that I got from Walmart on-line that puts it right where I need it. It works well.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post

I have a Rand Mcnally RV GPS like you are talking about. I use it when i fly somewhere in the rental car I get when i get there. I was taking the car back to the rental car return when the low bridge alarm went off. It showed the pedestrian bridge from the terminal to the rental car garage. I was a lot more comfortable if it had that small bridge in the memory for low level.

Garmin also makes one and I have not bought one yet but that is the next one I am going to buy. One of the disadvanges to the Rand Mcnally is that it takes me on routes that go through the middle of big towns like Kansas City, ST. Louis etc even though there are bypass interstates around these towns. You can take the GArmin and draw a box around an area and it will allow you to disalow this area for routeing. I think that would be very helpful with trying to control where it sends you.

Tags
gps