RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #1

GPS for RV and Auto

Looked in database and did not find an answer.
What are some portable GPS devices y'all enjoy? Or, to put another spin on the topic, y'all recommend to avoid like the plague?
My older Garmin NUVI (10 years?) has become slow and locks up too often. One continual drawback was it's ability to take us down residential streets or down right dead ends no matter which setting applied.
Thanks bunches for your input to make an informed choice.

Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
NXR

Are updates using the Garmin Express app still available for it? If you don't know you might want to download it and see. We've got a couple well on their way to ten years that still work fine. Their batteries, not so much, but navigation for sure. I had to add some small Micro SD cards to them to hold the maps but that's it.

Ray

NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Are updates using the Garmin Express app still available for it? If you don't know you might want to download it and see. We've got a couple well on their way to ten years that still work fine. Their batteries, not so much, but navigation for sure. I had to add some small Micro SD cards to them to hold the maps but that's it.

Ray

It will update. Due to limited expansion slot space, had to choose regions. As mentioned, the screen locks up often and, if I miss an important turn, the recalculate time has become lengthy.
Other than those two issues, it works fine. Will be fine for the car here around Birmingham and area where we kind of know where we are.
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #4

I have had my Garmin RV 7" for about 5 years and has worked great with free updates about every other month.

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/det...1#packagedeals
2 stroker
2 Stroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I've had great luck with the Garmin RV760LMT. It has lifetime updates, traffic reporting and lets you input the size of the motor home for routing avoidance. That model has been replaced with the RV770. The 7" screen size is easy to see and use and you can switch between RV and Auto modes.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:27 PM   #6

I have a Garmin RV770LMT. Complete garbage as far as Im concerned. A smartphone based ap is much more reliable with much more up to date traffic and construction warnings. I run 3 different nav systems at once when I travel. Garmin 770, CoPilot RV and Google Maps. CoPilot RV and Google Maps both are far superior to any stand alone GPS system. My Garmin 770 is nothing more than a dash ornament at this point.
AKIQPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a Garmin 760LMT and are very happy with it. That being said, we did have a trip where it tried to put us on a road which was not fit for a motorhome. Thankfully a local came by. He said his truck wouldn't even fit on the road the GPS was sending us and gave us directions to get back to a major road. Yes, I did contact Garmin and notified them of the problem. Lessons learned!! Don't trust your GPS as your only source to get you there!! We use the GPS as a guide, then check the maps (old school) and follow the directions given on the campgrounds website.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:17 AM   #8
NXR

I'll be buying the Garmin dezlCam 785 in a few months when the new rig gets here. It seems pretty much the same as the 760/770 but is a truck GPS and also has a built-in dashcam. It does not have the RV-specific POI buttons but has everything else and then spme, such as 24 hour truck repair services.

I'm also going to try this out: http://www.lowclearances.com/ because it's supposed to have 7,000 bridge heights in it versus the alleged 1,500 in a standard GPS.

Unfortunately GPS maps (and others) can't tell you about something they don't know about. No data about a condition and they assume it's good to go.
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:43 AM   #9

We have the Garmin RV 760 and have used it for 3 years. So far it has worked well but as others have said I also use maps and google maps to verify the route I want to take. We also have the truckers atlas which shows all low bridges, etc. on the map and give hills, etc for each road.

We did a little test last year while in PA and headed out in the toad to a local distillery approximately 30 miles away in the country. We took the RV760, left it set up as the MH, put in the car and took off. Took us a route that I believe the MH would traverse even though all the roads were 2 lane country roads of which there was little choice to reach our destination. On the way back I changed the settings of the RV760 to car and programmed the campground as the destination. We were routed a different way on much narrower roads with tighter curves. This route also was about 5 or 10 minutes faster than the MH route. Based on this one simple test I still wouldn't trust it 100% without some verification but it did show that it does take the vehicle into consideration.
jmck1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #10

At this point there is no reason to spend money on a dedicated navigation device, let alone one that costs extra because it's "RV" and is already out of date when it comes out of the box and you have to pay to update it... please......

I have mounts for my iPhone and and iPad which tethers to the phone. (Use it for a lot of other things too). Usually run WAZE on the phone and then Google Maps on the pad for traffic, and either Allstays Camp and RV or Trucker Path for low overpasses, rest areas etc etc.

Waze and TP are free, Allstays C&RV is cheap. Rarely have coverage issues with AT&T.

Pad by my right knee, phone on the left, mount shown phone not in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 9.13.54 AM.png
Views:	31
Size:	732.9 KB
ID:	242242  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #11

I have been using CoPilot GPS for RV the past 2.5 years. I run the IOS version on a Apple Ipad mini. Upfront the best thing is Ipad's screen, very bright sharp and clear. The CoPilot software itself is IMO marginally better than Garmin in terms of accuracy which is likely due more to the frequent map updates that are fast and easy to install.
CoPilot was bought by another company last year and changes were made to the software, most important was the vehicle profile Before you only could input the height of your vehicle. Now you can enter height, width ,length and weight. Important for me since I have a smaller lighter coach, I don't need to be rerouted around 12' clearances or 10 ton bridges.
The change has come with a price increase $29.99 a year subscription. Since a Garmin RV Gps starts around $300 I could in theory use CoPilot for the next 10 years for the same cost.
CoPilots weakness is POI's, Not as extensive as Garmin and not updated as often.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
We use a Garmin 770 in the motorhome, and Google maps on the phone for our toad.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #13

I use a Magellan RV/OTR Truck GPS and am really pleased with the routing, no U turns, etc., and especially the 6 inch screen. I can't recommend it, however, because it's only 3 years old and, despite lifetime maps, I can't get it updated. Magellan sold the GPS line to some foreign outfit and all you get from customer support is a run around.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #14

We have the Garmin RV 760 and use it in the RV and the car. We like it but we do not totally rely on any GPS. We always have a plan and know we are going to be OK on the roads we plan to take. The Garmin reminds us when to turn, tells us what lanes to be in, how far we are, etc. The large screen is a lot better than the cell phone and the images are easier to follow. We find it very useful.

Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps