Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

Grand Canyon vacation

Any help appreciated.
We are planning a mid May trip from Mo to the Grand Canyon south rim.
Have never been. Just starting research.
Any advice or where to find travel plans appreciated.
Macbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We stay at trailer village when at the south rim, full hook up inside park. Shuttle comes to park if you want to use it. On the way we always like to spend a little time in Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon area just south of Flagstaff.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #3

Thanks, this will be our second motor home trip.
So newbies.
Driving into Sodona and Oak creek canyon is not an issue?
Old 10-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #4

Wow, we had snow on the north rim and very cold weather over memorial day weekend at the Canyon... Remember the north rim is 7,000 + in elevation and the south rim is 6,000 +... The earlier you are in May the worse its going to be..

We do love to drive to Williams over the winter holidays, take the train in to the south rim, get a room on the rim of the canyon and spend 2 or 3 nights wondering around the rim... the shuttle buses will take you where you need to go and its always snows... but wow is it so beautiful...
Old 10-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with opbart1. Plan at least 2 days in Sedona. If driving a motor home, from I-40 in Flagstaff take I-17 south to the Sedona exit (Rt 179). If in a car, then you can take 89a through the switchbacks into Oak Creek Canyon and on into Sedona.

jelag is correct about checking the weather. Flagstaff and Williams are 7000' above sea level so the weather can change fast. Start checking 10 days out.
The train from Williams can be a fun trip to the canyon, but be prepared for the slow speeds. The tracks are getting old.
If a Bed and Breakfast fits your schedule, try the old Red Garter Inn in Williams.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #6

This is a little off the subject, but the Grand Canyon can change lives. About 17 years ago, our daughter booked a 17 day float trip through the canyon. She was so impressed with it, that she went back to Tampa, resigned her job (they wouldn't accept it and just knew she would be back) and moved to Durango, CO and became a river raft guide. (Very low pay compared to what she left) Two years later she took her own raft with a group and did the canyon again. She carried all the water and beer for the group of eight rafts. When camping before a fast rapids, they would climb along the side to scout it out. She would then lose her breakfast before attacking the rapids. After that trip, she was hooked on the mountains and rivers of the west. Quite a change for a flatland WI farm girl. I think the Tampa company has given up hope of getting her back. However, the owners come out every year to explore the west with her. So does her mother and father.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ill never forget the time our chocolate lab noticed the 8 point deer sticking its head in the car for food by the lodge. They are pretty much tame there.

At first it was total shock, what the?!?!?!?!....

And then

It was KILL THE ALIEN!!!!!!!!!

It was hilarious watching the range of emotions in the dog. What a peak. The deer was pfffft what ever, next car please....

So we motored over to the lookout and drove a couple golf balls into the canyon. The bus load of japanese tourists clapped, they really like golf.

Dont forget to to do giant imax movie next to the gates. Oh and head east of flagstaff to the crater. Pretty cool. And the little mini canyon where the indians lived.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #8

We stayed in Williams and rode the train to the Grand Canyon. Williams is one of those old Route 66 towns. Lots of shopping good food and stuff to do. Spent 5 days in Williams and could of used 5 more. Grand Canyon was awesome but a day was enough for us.
mwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #9

Last April the DW and I went to AZ, stayed in a very nice RV resort, Palm Creek, and drove the Toad up to the Grand Canyon for 3 days and 2 nights. We stayed at the Holiday Inn express at the entrance to the park and drove in each day for the stay. We ate at the lodge at the grand canyon both evenings, walked several miles down the Bright Angel trail (vertigo!), went over to the tower the last day and really enjoyed constantly changing colors and scale of the canyon. The altitude had us feeling a little winded most of the time.

It was really awesome. For us, two full days was enough....don't think we'd have the stamina to go the seven miles down to the floor. But it would be on my list of trying some day....though I don't want to ride a donkey on that trail.

There are some RV parks we saw inside the park. On the last evening there, it suddenly started snowing and laid down about 3" by the time we'd had dinner. It was heavy, wet snow. Quite beautiful and it sure got cold quickly!

If you're eligible get the federal parks senior pass...$10 and free entrance to federal parks. Didn't cost us to enter the park, wife showed her pass, we got a map and a nice smile, and in we went!

Do the trip. You'll love it no matter how you finally get there.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:11 PM   #10

I'm in Trailer Village right now. This the last night of our 6 night stay. Seems like 75 percent of the motorhomes are rental units. I've never seen so much raw sewage being spilled in all my years of RV'ing. Most don't know the first thing about RV's and have no idea of rules or common RV etiquette.

Dogs running free, campfires even with a full burn ban in place, folks sticking their fresh water hose down their sewer hose, dumping on the ground. There are generators running on full hook up sites with 20/30/50 amp service. I've had folks walk between my picnic table and rig enroute to the bath house. Nobody patrols the campground or enforces any rules. The only time you see an employee is when they do the morning round to make sure all the checkouts are gone.

Since a large number of the rental units are rented to non English speakers it is not possible to render much assistance due to the communication problems so I just gave up on that.

Additionally, the park itself is jam packed and most folks are pretty rude these days and are only interested in jamming their selfie stick in the air and expect you to stand back while they work to get the perfect selfie for their Facebook page.

I'll be glad to leave and won't be back anytime soon.

Oh, and I think the senior pass is now $85 or so.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:36 PM   #11

South Rim is great but very crowded but a must do once in your life. Do stop at the Meteor Crater east of Flagstaff about 40 or so miles just south of the interstate.
The train ride from south of the rim is a good trip. There is an aviation museum just south of the rim going to Williams in Valle.

If you have time to go 2 hrs north of Flagstaff go up 89 to Page at Lake Powell. Walking out to the Horseshoe Bend and looking down on the Colorado River 800 feet below is a sight you'll never forget. Its 1 mile south of Page.

In Page you can take a trip to Antelope Canyon. Look it up. Do it with a company right in town at Page rather than driving out there yourself (its cheaper).

Look up Colorado River Discovery for a 4 hr trip down the river on a big rubber pontoon boat (NO whitewater) but 900 foot sandstone walls. I used to guide this trip. You start right at the base of the Glen Canyon Dam (special access). If you go contact me and I'll tell you where to look to see the dinosaur foot prints that they don't talk about when you board the boats.

Have a good trip.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #12

Might stop in Holbrook for a couple of nights if you can and visit Petrified Forest also. We just were at both around Labor Day.
Got to agree a lot of rentals at Trailer Village but we did not see the problems noted above. May just have missed seeing it.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbow View Post
Thanks, this will be our second motor home trip.
So newbies.
Driving into Sodona and Oak creek canyon is not an issue?
Some MHs do drive the canyon. Posted rules are no trucks longer than 50 feet. With that said, I wouldn't drive our 38 footer through. Too many overhanging limbs and rocks push you out into oncoming lane.

We live in Sedona and MH from this base. I recommend you stay at Rancho Sedona RV Park in the heart of Sedona when here, but book early. If we can help with other Sedona area suggestions feel free to ask.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #14

Thanks

Thank you everyone. This certainly gives us some ideas.

Tags
cat