Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
If the odor is only noticeable when the coach is in motion, chances are you have a low-pressure situation sucking the odors into the coach.
Venturi type vents like this one or an in-line fan like the Lil Stanker are both good solutions if you can't otherwise determine the cause.
HoneyBadger
If sewer odor gets into a coach something needs FIXING.
"Gizmos" and "gadgets" don't FIX anything.
Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #16

Every time this has happened to us, it was the P-trap on the washer/dryer. We rarely use it, so the water in the P-trap eventually evaporates. That opens a direct path from the gray tank to the interior of the coach. We run a quick rinse cycle on the washer and the problem is solved.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
HoneyBadger
If sewer odor gets into a coach something needs FIXING.
"Gizmos" and "gadgets" don't FIX anything.
Mel
'96 Safari
Correct you are in many cases, but I have known this problem to be caused by things like new MaxxAir hoods causing a different airflow on the roof while driving- nothing "broke" to be fixed.

Plenty of posts here detailing stuff to look at; if the OP has looked for leaks and breaks and empty p-traps and dropped vent pipes, without discovering the cause, there is no reason to endure the stench while they drive. But YYM obviously varies.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #18

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Correct you are in many cases, but I have known this problem to be caused by things like new MaxxAir hoods causing a different airflow on the roof while driving- nothing "broke" to be fixed.

Plenty of posts here detailing stuff to look at; if the OP has looked for leaks and breaks and empty p-traps and dropped vent pipes, without discovering the cause, there is no reason to endure the stench while they drive. But YYM obviously varies.
I agree with Rich-n-Linda that fixing something broken is the correct way to proceed...
But as HoneyBadger says there has been nothing found 'broken'. Pipes are clear, hardware replaced (although the air admittance valves looked and acted OK to me). I have not checked if p-traps are dry when odor occurs only assume they are since THAT IS WHERE THE SMELL COMES FROM. We blocked off sink with plastic wrap for no odor once but is not an acceptable permanent fix.
No recent changes in airflow on top of coach nor vents left open to contribute to negative pressure inside. Local RV repair shop is also scratching his head so we are all in good company.
So, on to waterless traps.
for ideas.
bobsharon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #19

Any treatment you put into the tank will not correct this. Installed the Camco spinner vents and completely eliminated the problem. I can cruise with open windows now
Old 04-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In our last coach we would occasionally get a little "gray" smell in the bathroom after a long haul. We always "stopper" the sinks so I bought one of those flat rubber stoppers that cover drains in utility sinks and laid it across the shower drain, problem gone. While on the shower subject, I also leave a water alarm in the shower. If a water source in the kitchen, bath, or shower is left on or is leaking (think kids) or jiggles open while traveling you can fill the grey tank. Once full it will come up thru the shower drain and flood the floor.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up Thanks to all responses on gray tank odor.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my gray tank odor question. We replaced the Ptraps and installed turbo vents and now travel with all the sink and shower drains covered. Just drove 1000 miles and no odor.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #22

ive tried all of the above and the oder still comes back it comes from under the kitchen sink you can see the grey water pipe going out under the motor home I think its the seal from the pipe to the tank but I cant find the tank under the motor home or see where the pipe is sealed to the tank
Old 10-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #23

under sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretna boy View Post
ive tried all of the above and the oder still comes back it comes from under the kitchen sink you can see the grey water pipe going out under the motor home I think its the seal from the pipe to the tank but I cant find the tank under the motor home or see where the pipe is sealed to the tank
If you are getting odour under sink 100% sure it's from those stupid air admittance valves manufacturers install at high point of drain line just under the countertops. Replace with new vent. I always carry a few spares
Old 10-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #24

I had the same perplexing problem with gray tank odor. I replaced the air admittance valves with cheap ones from Lowes/Home Depot with no success.
In my exasperation, I finally bought some more expensive valves and have not had a whiff since. I'd recommend trying one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Tags
gray tank, odor, tank