Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Gray Tank odor when on the road.

We have a problem with a foul odor coming from the gray tank when we are on the road. We use a gray tank deodorizing solution each time we empty the tank and have no problem with odors when we are parked, only when we are on the road. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bludiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be sure all sink and shower P traps are filled with water. Over time water will evaporate in P traps allowing gas and odors to enter.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there a washer/dryer plumbing? Ensure this trap has water or sealed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be an Air Admittance valve not sealing properly. You will have on at each sink and shower. A friend had a 2005 45 ft Monaco and is the type she had.

Proflo PF108202 N/A - Build.com
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you travel with windows open, or roof vents open? This could create a negative pressure inside the coach that could suck fumes up from the gray.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We keep all vents and windows closed while moving.

Had a odor problem years ago and discovered closing the vents cured it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:35 AM   #7

I am working through the same problem. I have replaced the air admittance valves (2), one in kitchen, one in bath. I have installed turbo vents on the vent stacks and have still experienced the gray tank phew. My next step is to replace the p-trap in the kitchen with a waterless version.
What I don't understand is why after years of no problem this raised its ugly head last year.
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #8

Check vents on roof to make sure they are open, I had mud dauber or wasp nest in mine. Used a small drain auger to clean them. This created a low pressure area inside the bus while driving bringing in the odor.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Just a thought, are you sure it is the grey tank? Do you your batteries loose water? Overcharging batteries will produce a smell similar to sewage water.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #10

IF your kitchen sink is on a slide, the "not so flexible" sewer hose that connects the slide to the rest of the coach's sewer pipes can break/crack...just a thought. If you have an unused plumbing p-trap for a washer/dryer--another good item to check/reseal.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsharon View Post
I am working through the same problem. I have replaced the air admittance valves (2), one in kitchen, one in bath. I have installed turbo vents on the vent stacks and have still experienced the gray tank phew. My next step is to replace the p-trap in the kitchen with a waterless version.
What I don't understand is why after years of no problem this raised its ugly head last year.
bobsharon
Do all of your p-traps have water in them?
My P-traps sometimes dry out, (especially the one for the washer), when unused for a while.
Pouring a few cups of water down the drain will fix that.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
If the odor is only noticeable when the coach is in motion, chances are you have a low-pressure situation sucking the odors into the coach.

Venturi type vents like this one or an in-line fan like the Lil Stanker are both good solutions if you can't otherwise determine the cause.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
"P" traps can dry out and slosh out while the MH is on the road.

Run a cup of water in all the sinks and shower drains. Also, a tablespoon (very small amount) of vegetable cooking oil into the drain after the cup of water will reduce the evaporation, put it in drains you normally don't use while traveling.

Make sure there is water in the toilet bowl, this seals the toilet.

If it continues, consider one of those wind-vain vent caps to replace your existing vent cap.

You can also try putting the drain plug in the sinks and shower, then run a tiny bit of water into the sink and shower while your under way.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also, be sure you treat your grey tank with "happy camper" - you can buy it on amazon - it's a little tub of powder.

Flush the crud out of your grey tank, then put this stuff in each time after you empty. 3 or 4 times into it, the smells "smell" will be significantly better.

x3 on checking all of the traps. I read a lot about unused washing machines losing their water in the trap. Also run a plastic zipper down the shower drain. I have no idea how old your unit is, but in our Revolution, the shower drain was full of some pretty disgusting stuff from the previous owner that kept the trap junked with stuff other than water. Once we cleaned it out, it held it's water better and stopped smelling while driving.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank, odor, tank