Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Smile Gray water pipe repair

New to this world of RVing (but love it) and finding out some times it's better to opt to look at DIY.
Have got what appears to be a split in the pipe just before the dump valve, have looked at some products online, but though I would ask out here.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Jabney".....repairing the pipe near the dump valve is often very difficult. They use some hard to find custom bends and connectors, plus they glue them as they go, making it difficult to cut out the bad part and replace.

If it's just a small split, you could try some epoxy repair or a rubber cover with a couple of clamps over it. There is no pressure, so it doesn't require as solid of a repair.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know you probably don't want to hear this but if it were me, I'd cut out the split section with a hack saw blade and go buy a new section at the hardware store. It's either 1 1/2" or 3". The rest of the fittings you can get online at rv places and even Amazon. Don't forget the glue. You might get fine results with some epoxy or glue at one of the sources you've already checked but if you can gain access to the damage- just replace the bad piece.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:34 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Jabney".....repairing the pipe near the dump valve is often very difficult. They use some hard to find custom bends and connectors, plus they glue them as they go, making it difficult to cut out the bad part and replace.

If it's just a small split, you could try some epoxy repair or a rubber cover with a couple of clamps over it. There is no pressure, so it doesn't require as solid of a repair.
Thanks for the feed back.
While I was waiting I found a product for ABS pipe on other sites called "Plasti-Mend".
Went to the web and I can get to the area that has a small split and this may work, but will research more.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabney View Post
New to this world of RVing (but love it) and finding out some times it's better to opt to look at DIY.
Have got what appears to be a split in the pipe just before the dump valve, have looked at some products online, but though I would ask out here.
Keep in mind that if it is leaking, most campgrounds will ask you to leave and may charge you for any clean up costs.

depending on how big of split, Don's idea may work. A bigger split may involve more, possibly rebuilding entire waste area. Most of the time you'll need to get materials from a RV supply house or online. Plumbing fittings from Lowes and Home Depot often are not the same size.

If you are going to all the trouble, it may be prudent to replace the valves while you have everything torn apart.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:51 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Keep in mind that if it is leaking, most campgrounds will ask you to leave and may charge you for any clean up costs.

depending on how big of split, Don's idea may work. A bigger split may involve more, possibly rebuilding entire waste area. Most of the time you'll need to get materials from a RV supply house or online. Plumbing fittings from Lowes and Home Depot often are not the same size.

If you are going to all the trouble, it may be prudent to replace the valves while you have everything torn apart.
Thanks, I've contacted the dealer yesterday and made them aware. They want me to bring or in this week.
It's a "drop" leak right now and no more than 3/4 inch, but I know that vibrations could make it bigger. I can get to it, but not enough to replace it and also wanting to try and keep form the expense unless necessary.
I know sometimes things happen on the road and it is always handy to have a temp plan.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:29 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
plastic repair

While a little epoxy should make a strong permanent repair, I recently purchased an inexpensive plastic welder from Harbor Freight that works great. It is basically like a soldering iron with a flat tip and comes with several rods of plastic that are used to "weld" different types of plastic. Handy tool to add to the collection!
Old 07-31-2016, 05:38 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Thanks, that's good to know.
Sometimes handy ideas come from outside the box.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Drain tank and dry and sand area of leak, which is probably at top. Obtain some abs pipe of the same size. Measure off a piece lengthwise that will cover the split. Make it 1 and a half inch wide. Lay sandpaper over the outside of remaining piece, grit side up. Place strip you cut over sandpaper and work it till the inside surface of strip has been totally matched to remaining piece of pipe. Place three screw clamps onto leaking pipe, loosely. lather sanded surface of repair strip with black ABS cement. Fix this onto split in pipe and cinch in place with screw clamps. You have just made a permanent repair as cheaply as possible that will last a lifetime. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Drain tank and dry and sand area of leak, which is probably at top. Obtain some abs pipe of the same size. Measure off a piece lengthwise that will cover the split. Make it 1 and a half inch wide. Lay sandpaper over the outside of remaining piece, grit side up. Place strip you cut over sandpaper and work it till the inside surface of strip has been totally matched to remaining piece of pipe. Place three screw clamps onto leaking pipe, loosely. lather sanded surface of repair strip with black ABS cement. Fix this onto split in pipe and cinch in place with screw clamps. You have just made a permanent repair as cheaply as possible that will last a lifetime. Good luck!
Sounds good to me. Reminds me of the way I was trained to fix leaks in the Navy

Tags
repair, water