Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #1

Great deal on a Fleetwood Bounder

I found what I think is a good price on a diesel Fleetwood Bounder. The only problem is this RV has been stored for 6 years. My concern is with the engine. Can the cylinders rust if it has not been stored properly. If there was some rust and it did start would there be extra wear on the cylinders and or rings.

Frank
FrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Certainly could be issues if not properly maintained while in storage. Request information relative to storage procedure/s and ask for a thorough examination before making offer.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #3

Yes it would make a difference as how it was stored, inside or out, proper additive to the fuel, only the good lord knows what are in the tanks, Black, Gray, fresh water, sitting all this time, hhhmmmmm! And lets not forget the tires, good idea to replace the tires every 6 years no matter what, theres a lot of ifs and hows and onlys and but ifs as well! I would think if you can buy this rig at a cost below what it might cost you to update and still keep it within or under retail value, buy it. But, you're looking at around a min of 10,000.00 work to be done before you can even use it, unless you are going to do most of the work yourself. Something to think on anyway!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM View Post
I found what I think is a good price on a diesel Fleetwood Bounder. The only problem is this RV has been stored for 6 years. My concern is with the engine. Can the cylinders rust if it has not been stored properly. If there was some rust and it did start would there be extra wear on the cylinders and or rings.

Frank
I am assuming this is a "for sale by owner".

Nothing replaces the inspection by a reputable Motor Home dealer and a registered diesel technician.

I bought a 1999 Winnebago last year, from not so reputable dealer I found out, and have put over $6000 in it so far. Some of that could have been avoided buy an inspector that knew what to look for, I was new to the game. Needless to say I have learned a lot.

On thing, I would not buy that rig without a new set of Michelin XRV tires ........... 6 years is too old.

Dave.......learning in IL.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Find a mobile diesel mechanic that has a borescope that will fit through the injector hole. Have him remove a few of the injector to check the condition of the cylinders. At the same time have him roll the engine over by hand before starting it.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I'd contact Freightliner / Cummins (or CAT but I think most (all?) Bounder Diesels were Cummins) and ask them their opinion.

Depending on how it was stored, it's very possible there will be algae and / or condensation in the fuel so you might need to drain the tank. Air lines / air bags may need to be replaced. Brake pads might be rusted / seized. As mentioned, most likely you'll need new tires all around.

I'd be curious to know what you find out so keep us informed.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

Get Camping World to check it out!! Doh!
Brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
also check the radiator fluid ph., etc. I agree get a qualified inspector. what model and year bounder are you looking at - check the NADA and RV trader for values
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brez View Post
Get Camping World to check it out!! Doh!
Is Camping World qualified to do work like that? I have never used them, but from I have read on iRV2 most people are not happy with their workmen ship.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM View Post

Frank
Is this the same one being discussed here ??? http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/dp-v...nt-176811.html

If so, suggest the mods combine these two threads.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fleetwood