Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

Green on HR 1996 Endeavor LE. Need Help. Won't Start

Grand dad just left me his 96 endeavor LE, he has had it since it was new and is in great condition. I'm having an issue getting it started. Was wondering if anyone had much knowledge of this model? I just know he wouldn't want it to sit and he knew I'd get her going come hell or high water. Was told it would not start. Being that I live 6 hours from where it currently sits, I took batteries and diagnostic tools. Installed new "load tested" chassis battery, and a 12 volt cranking battery-in place of the two 6 volt coach batteries for testing purposes only. After batteries were installed and disconnect switches turned to "on" verified 12 volt coach system was working!!! Turned off all 12 volt accessories. And sat down at the wheel to crank engine over and nothing. Verified connections and disconnect switch for chassis, still nothing. Held down auxiliary start switch and turn key to the on position and bingo we have power captain. However she cranked over slow and did not fire off. Being that it was getting dark and I thought I might be able to obtain a wiring diagram I chose to tackle this project another day. So the research begins. Any hints, tips, ppicks,diagrams, or documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum...
Sounds like you probably know the problem points to check. May be a loose connection on the starter or bad cable. Bad starter?

I'm sure others may have better ideas and suggestions.

Good luck!

LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Are the dash lights and gauges waking up when you turn the key on? If not, take a volt meter or test light and see if the hot lead on the starter has juice. If it does, start tracing back to the dash area and specifically the ignition switch.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

Connections good, starter turns over when using auxillary swith, but no power to instument cluster or ignition from chassis battery? Wiring diagram would be golden!!!!
Old 12-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #5

Perhaps the Salesman Switch

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #6

Obviosly an open circuit somewhere between chassis battery disconnect switch and ignition swith. Just not sure if or how many connection and orcomponent are between the 2 points. Does anyone know how the auxilary start functions? Does it actually jump chassis and coach power sources together or does it operate a 2 way switch and only use coach power supply when auxillary swith is in the closed position?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #7

You do not have power through your disconnect relay would be my call. Check to verify power through relay, I bet you do not have it. If the relay has died, you can jump around it with a battery cable terminal to terminal. Is a somewhat common problem. I know you turned it on, but you have nothing through it.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #8

Thanks Steve, common sense didn't kick in with that thought. Was right there with VOM in hand. Will def. check that out, it would make sense to be all to obvious. Good news os that would be a quick and easy fix. Is the circuit from there a wire directly to fuse-ignition?
Old 12-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #9

I can't speak directly to your rig, but normally it is a very basic relay activated by the disconnect switch closing the connection between battery cable and everything else on the ignition side.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #10

It's always a ground.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeba View Post
....some text deleted.... Does anyone know how the auxilary start functions? Does it actually jump chassis and coach power sources together or does it operate a 2 way switch and only use coach power supply when auxillary swith is in the closed position?

The auxiliary start switch uses a solenoid to bridge the house batteries to the cranking batteries. If the cranking batteries are really low (or not connected), you will get slow cranking of the engine.

Fred
Old 12-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #12

Greatful

A big TX thanks to those of yall who have already replied with your advice. Are schematics availible or is it gonna be good ole trace/hunt and seek to find wiring and component locations?
Old 12-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hipster View Post
It's always a ground.
No doubt. either no ground or short to ground. Hopefully this time is just an open circuit at the disconnect. But sure neverseems to be that easy. But I guess thats why we have, power probes, VOM, toners, spools of wire and plenty of connectors !!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeba View Post
A big TX thanks to those of yall who have already replied with your advice. Are schematics availible or is it gonna be good ole trace/hunt and seek to find wiring and component locations?
A belated from the Hill Country!

I owned a 96 LE (great coach) but I can't remember if it had a manual "kill" or disconnect for the chassis batteries in addition to the electric ones. Most Holiday Rambler/Monaco products that I've been around DO have the manual switches located in the battery compartment. Might take a quick look just to be sure. If I have misunderstood your post and you have the manual switch be sure to check continuity... they do fail on occasion. Good luck!

Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help