Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great info on this post! Only input I can add is from my days as a boat dealer and boat yard owner in Fl many years ago. We sold old town abs canoes, white water type and the abs kits purchased with appropriate mesh were permanent and great. Sold some small boats that were poly injection mold very difficult if not impossible to mend. In fact at that time 35 years ago patch only held temporarily. If it is poly go with the pro's if abs you can complete an effective repair. Looks like a tuff spot to work, my old body and fat frame could not do the job justice! Best of luck!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Great info on this post! Only input I can add is from my days as a boat dealer and boat yard owner in Fl many years ago. We sold old town abs canoes, white water type and the abs kits purchased with appropriate mesh were permanent and great. Sold some small boats that were poly injection mold very difficult if not impossible to mend. In fact at that time 35 years ago patch only held temporarily. If it is poly go with the pro's if abs you can complete an effective repair. Looks like a tuff spot to work, my old body and fat frame could not do the job justice! Best of luck!
We are on the same page. It is not ABS and it is Poly so I'm going to try going with the pros.

I've worked in worse spaces. I'm trying to mount a cutoff switch under the dash of our Vue so that I can stop pulling the main 30amp fuse to tow it. Now THAT is a tough place to work for an old fat guy. The gray tank isn't as bad if you are willing to kneel down. We'll see if the pro will try to do that tomorrow.

Charlie

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #31

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SUCCESS!

I arrived at the plastic welder's shop almost right on time. A little less than two hours later, everything was repaired, I had enough put back together to get me home and there is no sign of a leak.

We ended up taking out the small part of the compartment floor that I replaced. Even then, it was a really long arm stretch for him to get to tank crack. When we got the patch off, it was pathetic. It is a real bloody wonder that it lasted as long as it did.

He had a heating iron that had a channel through the top, above a plate that looked like a really tiny version of a clothes iron that had been attached to a pole. There are no controls, just a spot for compressed air and the heating coil. He let the iron warm up and agreed that it was between 300-350 degrees. He laid up a bead of he plastic weld directly over the crack and then laid alternating beads on either side of it. I could see that he was trying to spread the repair surface about 3/4" on either side. We put water into the tank up over that spot and there was no sign of a drip.

- 3.5 hours of time round trip to get there
- 75 miles of diesel fuel round trip
- $200 fee for the work

Feeling good that the tank is repaired without any more effort from me - PRICELESS!

I'm going to fill the tank and let it sit over night, just to be sure but I feel very secure about the repair. I'll be re-installing the supports on the back wall of the compartment but will be adding more to them to actually support the tank in that area. I do have a about 2-3 hours worth of work to put everything that was taken apart back together but I have plenty of time for that.

Thanks again to all who contributed to the thread. My takeaway, now that I've seen the actual repair in action, is to find and purchase the plastic welder if I ever have a tank problem again. I'm working on a major bathroom remodel project at the house now but as soon as I get that finished, I'm going to figure where to purchase the welding device. It would be easy enough to practice welding milk cartons together.

Charlie
Old 07-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Glad to hear it Charlie!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
Never a doubt Charles:: Good work!!!!
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Job well done! Thanks for the informative updates! If my memory holds together I will remember this thread for future reference. Thank you.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #35

Here is one of the best places to buy the tools Urethane Supply Company - Plastic Repair and Plastic Welders

or you can try the poor mans tool approach I posted here Grey Tank Leak

If you want to have a tool that will last a long time, don't waste your money on the Harbor Frieght soldering iron version. The tip construction is to lite weight and does not hold up.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update:

A recently completed 3,200 mile trip from Texas to PA and back showed no sign of a leak. We had the gray tank fairly full a few times but never moved further than the dump station with very much content.

Time will tell if it holds but so far, so good.

Charlie

Tags
leak, tank