Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Grey water in black tank

We have composting toilets, but I'm still getting water in black tank. Are they now plumbed that way (2015 Palazzo) or is it maybe clothes washer. Thanks

t.thoro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #2

Wouldn't you want every bit of toilet water going to the black tank? What is a concern about what's happening?

A macerator chews lumps up, but doesn't make them any less odiferous( sp?)

Old 07-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
is it possible the tank valves are leaking/failing and it is 'backing up' into the other? (or is it that it's a new rv and you are scrutinizing it too much ?!? )

On our last 5er with 2 grey tanks we used to leave both grey tanks open and the outlet closed since one grey tan always filled up and the other was empty... since water seeks it's own level, the full tank would flow down the outlet, hit the extra closed outlet and back up into the other grey tank, giving us much more grey capacity...
Old 07-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #4

I just watched this video on How To Not Install a Composting Toilet in an RV
In this installation at least, it's impossible for water to get into your black tank from the toilet. Perhaps your water is from your clothes washer, as you suggested, or from the bathroom sink or shower.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
There have been some RVs made with only one tank. It would hold both gray and black water. No big deal.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #6

I doubt it is the clothes washer-- possibly, a bathroom sink is sometimes plumbed into the black tank to make it easier on the installer/manufacturer
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #7

If the inquiring mind really wants to know just empty your black tank then open one faucet at a time and see if anything flows out.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:09 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks for the tips!

my concern is that its plumbed wrong. Our 5 min PDI left me with more quesrions than answers. With all the issues we've had with this NEW coach I want to make sure anything that will be a problen down the road gets addressed now, under warranty.
We have leveled our grey to black using a gate valve, that was one reason for the composting toilets in the first place. allowing us to boondock longer. Turning on every vlave one at a time to narrow down the culprit was plan B, plan A was asking the question. Lastly, I dont think the tank valves are lleaking as there is no liqiud coming out when I remove the end cap to install the drain hose.

Thanks again for the tips and ideas , cheers
t.thoro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.thoro13 View Post
thanks for the tips!

my concern is that its plumbed wrong. Our 5 min PDI left me with more quesrions than answers. With all the issues we've had with this NEW coach I want to make sure anything that will be a problen down the road gets addressed now, under warranty.
We have leveled our grey to black using a gate valve, that was one reason for the composting toilets in the first place. allowing us to boondock longer. Turning on every vlave one at a time to narrow down the culprit was plan B, plan A was asking the question. Lastly, I dont think the tank valves are lleaking as there is no liqiud coming out when I remove the end cap to install the drain hose.

Thanks again for the tips and ideas , cheers

I doubt very much that the plumbing is wrong. However, it's not uncommon for builders to put waste water from one of the sinks into the black tank. In one regard it adds water volume to the black tank which is good unless you're dry camping.

The simplest answer is to call Thor customer service and ask them what is plumbed into the black tank. Then you'll know and when dry camping you can minimize usage of that source.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #10

In our '04 Hurricane the sink in the bathroom goes to the black water tank. The shower and kitchen sink goes to the grey.

OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water