RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Griot's Garage Orbital Polisher

I'm ready to hit the button to order this polisher from Amazon. My question for all of you that use something similar to polish their rigs, how much correcting cream/wax does it take to do your coach? About how much coverage does a 16oz bottle provide for you?

My stamina to hand polish is not what it used to be!

Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UKUUWE...457757036691WO

jimfh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #2

Check out Adam's Polishes website. I don't have any of their products yet but I hope to soon. Excellent videos on there though!

DougM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #3

I've owned/used a 6" Porter Cable adjustable speed buffer for years. Check their price at home depot, it's less money, and an EXCELLENT quality piece of equipment. I don't know who makes the Griot's product, but I'm sure they just put their branding on it.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #4

Good call on either Adams or Griot's products......... I've tried a lot of products over the years, and using mostly thier products these days.

Not sure why you are not ordering directly from Griot's, but that's up to you.

The "regular" Griot's orbital is a private branded Porter Cable (late edit, per the notes below, the Griot's orbital does not appear to be a private label PC anymore.... ). While it appears to me thier Boss is a private label Flex. I have been using a Flex for about 4 or 5 years now, after finally running my Griot's / PC orbital into the ground....... A Flex is a bit of overkill just for an RV though.

I've been using Adams polishes on my cars for about 5 or 6 years, but I am using as many as 3 steps / polishes which I really did not want to do not the RV. I still use Adams polishes and Americana wax on my BMW.

So, with that in mind, I tried, and have been very happy with using Griot's Complete Compound on my RV and now my Jeep, applied with an orange foam pad. Both had good paint to start, so keep that in mind when deciding on what type of polishes you choose. If you have some more serious paint correction to do, and depending on what level of finish you expect, you still may need to consider 2 or 3 levels of polish.......

It took me pretty much a full bottle of Complete Compound to do my Tiffin 31SA.

I followed that with Griot's Polywax (sealant), applied with a soft red foam pad, which I have again started using on my Jeep. Took less than a full bottle of Polywax to do the RV.

I have not tried Griot's One Step polish / sealant product or the new Griot's Boss polishes, so no feedback on those. Going back quite a while, Griot's Machine 1-2-3 Polishes seemed to dust up a lot more than Adams, and we're not as easy to remove, so that is a key reason I have stayed with Adams polishes on my cars.

Just another item to think about, while Griot's Speed Shine has been a staple of mine for years, I actually prefer Adams detailing spray. It just depends on what else I need wether I order Adams or Griot's detailing spray or car wash soap......

My key detailing tip is to apply detailing spray to the wet vehicle surface before I wipe it dry. It helps lubricate your towel, picks any left over grit you may have missed, and great reduces swirl marks / micro scratches from drying.

If you are interested in Adams products, my source is Detailers Domain out of NJ. Easy to order on the web site, Great service, and Phil, the owner is truly a top notch detailer, well known by many folks in the business (he is one of the very few people, I would ever let touch my vehicles.......). If you have questions on Adams products, give him a call.

From Nov. 2014, my 8 year old Porsche just before I sold it, finished with Adams Polishes and Swisvax

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	527.7 KB
ID:	152673  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #5

"As a side note, the Griot's orbital is a private branded Porter Cable."

The simple reality, this Griot orbital is a branded product manufactured by Maxshine out of China. The Griot branded orbital is about 1.5 pounds heavier than the U.S. made Porter Cable 6" and costs less at Home Depot.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
"As a side note, the Griot's orbital is a private branded Porter Cable."

The simple reality, this Griot orbital is a branded product manufactured by Maxshine out of China. The Griot branded orbital is about 1.5 pounds heavier than the U.S. made Porter Cable 6" and costs less at Home Depot.
Wow. Disappointing....... I just checked both web sites after seeing your note, and they sure do not appear to be the same anymore. List time I checked wasn't that long ago, or maybe it was.

Wonder when they changed suppliers? My old Griot's Orbital actually came in a Porter Cable case with a little Griot's logo stuck on it.

I may need to be corrected on the Boss too, I'm just not sure that it's a Flex after taking another look.

Thanks for checking!

Added a clarifying note in my original reply on the PC, but was unable to so so on th Flex.

I'd kind of lean to a PC instead of the Griot's then.....

Coach, back in March after finishing 1st polishing and waxing (~ 25 hours over a 2 day session and a 3 day session, not including washing). DW "supervising" ready to call paramedics if I fell off the ladder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	152687  
Old 02-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Call me lazy but I use "wash wax all". You can find it on Amazon. No buffing required and looks just as good and protects as good also.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfh2o View Post
I'm ready to hit the button to order this polisher from Amazon. My question for all of you that use something similar to polish their rigs, how much correcting cream/wax does it take to do your coach? About how much coverage does a 16oz bottle provide for you?

My stamina to hand polish is not what it used to be!

Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UKUUWE...457757036691WO
Look this one over - Bullet Proof - Cyclo Orbital Polisher Model 5-Pro with ProGuard Backing Plates, Cyclo Pro-5 Polisher, Cyclo buffer -

JMHO

https://www.amazon.com/Cyclo-CYC-PIN...ag=d_2b_a_o-20

Lot's of places to buy but sure works well.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
The Cyclo with the smaller dual heads is a great machine, but seems to be a bit of overkill (as is a Flex) just for an RV. It is really great for a car with complex curves (like the rear hips on my Cayman)....... Heavy too...... and anyone with a big inventory of larger pads has to replace all of them too unfortunately.

But, hey, it sure will do the job .
Old 02-23-2017, 10:49 PM   #10

I have both the 6 and 3 inch polisher from Griots. I have used heir polishes, waxes, clay bars, liquid wax, and liquid wash on my cars. They work well and smell good. But there is a ton of stuff out there that I am sure works just as well. The 6 inch is heavy and becomes a real pain after a while on an RV wall.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Good call on either Adams or Griot's products......... I've tried a lot of products over the years, and using mostly thier products these days.

Not sure why you are not ordering directly from Griot's, but that's up to you.

The "regular" Griot's orbital is a private branded Porter Cable (late edit, per the notes below, the Griot's orbital does not appear to be a private label PC anymore.... ). While it appears to me thier Boss is a private label Flex. I have been using a Flex for about 4 or 5 years now, after finally running my Griot's / PC orbital into the ground....... A Flex is a bit of overkill just for an RV though.

I've been using Adams polishes on my cars for about 5 or 6 years, but I am using as many as 3 steps / polishes which I really did not want to do not the RV. I still use Adams polishes and Americana wax on my BMW.

So, with that in mind, I tried, and have been very happy with using Griot's Complete Compound on my RV and now my Jeep, applied with an orange foam pad. Both had good paint to start, so keep that in mind when deciding on what type of polishes you choose. If you have some more serious paint correction to do, and depending on what level of finish you expect, you still may need to consider 2 or 3 levels of polish.......

It took me pretty much a full bottle of Complete Compound to do my Tiffin 31SA.

I followed that with Griot's Polywax (sealant), applied with a soft red foam pad, which I have again started using on my Jeep. Took less than a full bottle of Polywax to do the RV.

I have not tried Griot's One Step polish / sealant product or the new Griot's Boss polishes, so no feedback on those. Going back quite a while, Griot's Machine 1-2-3 Polishes seemed to dust up a lot more than Adams, and we're not as easy to remove, so that is a key reason I have stayed with Adams polishes on my cars.

Just another item to think about, while Griot's Speed Shine has been a staple of mine for years, I actually prefer Adams detailing spray. It just depends on what else I need wether I order Adams or Griot's detailing spray or car wash soap......

My key detailing tip is to apply detailing spray to the wet vehicle surface before I wipe it dry. It helps lubricate your towel, picks any left over grit you may have missed, and great reduces swirl marks / micro scratches from drying.

If you are interested in Adams products, my source is Detailers Domain out of NJ. Easy to order on the web site, Great service, and Phil, the owner is truly a top notch detailer, well known by many folks in the business (he is one of the very few people, I would ever let touch my vehicles.......). If you have questions on Adams products, give him a call.

From Nov. 2014, my 8 year old Porsche just before I sold it, finished with Adams Polishes and Swisvax

Regards
Great looking Cayman! Still miss my '96 triple black 911 Targa which I meticulously maintained with Griot products including their random orbital polisher which is still going strong even after dunking in a 5 gal pail of old motor oil!!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Call me lazy but I use "wash wax all". You can find it on Amazon. No buffing required and looks just as good and protects as good also.
I have used Wash Wax All and it is a great product; however, if your coach has been beat up and starts to oxidize because of the sun, you will need something a little stronger, like a compound, to buff the finish back to a nice gloss.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I use a cheap 6" orbital polisher from Wal-Mart for applying the wax, and then a 12" orbital polisher from Sears for removing the wax. I applied a McGuiers mix of clean/wax and Carnuba wax in paste for 2 years ago and the wash the coach with McGuiers wash/wax product and after 2 years water still beads up.

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote