Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

Gulfstream Slide Out issue

I have a 2003 Gulfstream Class A motorhome, and am having issues w/ the slide outs. They go out just fine, but when i go to retract them, they stop after a few seconds. Even if i keep the button pushed, after about 10-15 seconds, it will start to retract again, and go for another 5-10 seconds before having to repeat the process. What could be going on?

I have checked the hydraulic level and even topped it off. I tried it while plugged into 120V shore power as well. I dont know what to try next. Could it be a bad switch or something?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like the controller or an auto reset circuit breaker is opening the circuit and then resetting. One thing that will aggravate this is low voltage. I would suggest you check the voltage at the pump motor while under load. If you find it is below say 12.5, make necessary changes. If you find you have good voltage then you could have a weak controller or circuit breaker.
What brand of slide out system do you have? If Power Gear, you need to be running the drive engine when using the system. Let us know what you find.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #3

would the engine need to be running even if its plugged into 120v shore power?

ill check the brand of the system and let you know. thanks.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDuce View Post
would the engine need to be running even if its plugged into 120v shore power?

ill check the brand of the system and let you know. thanks.
Engine should be running. Not sure about your model, but the slides on my unit draw off of the start battery. The alternator on the motor will provide much more assistance to the battery than the shore power charger.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:49 AM   #5

im not sure if the brand is right, but on the sticker on the actual pump and on the panel that runs the levelers, it says Dewald. is there more amperage draw on the battery when retracting the slides than when extending? there is no problem when extending, only when retracting. also, there are occasional times when the hydraulic leveling jacks wont retract properly as well. they once took 15 minutes of turning off and back on just to get them to retract all the way. would this be related to the slideout issue, ie battery as well?

its a 2002 Gulfstream SunVoyager with only 2800 miles on it. Everything is original on it, including all of the batteries.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks, make since I noticed (2008 Bounder) when retracting my slides it retracts very slowly, but when I'm running the engine retracts normal. So what you saying the slides pull off the Chassis batterys.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #7

hydraulic model

I believe the unit is a Power Gear, after looking up similar models on the net. It looks like that unit uses Dewald as the brand of pump. Another question came up though, as I also found a Gulfstream owners manual...

In their manual, it says that there is an ignition override that prevents the slideouts from operating if the ignition is turned on. if that is true, how can running the engine help w/ my previous issue?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #8

I have never had to run the engine to use the slideouts. It has and interlock which prevents this from happening anyway. At least on my Crescendo POS.

sparky52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #9

testing

I have tried operating the slideouts on the camper with the engine running, but nothing will work if the key is on or engine is running. must be some kind of safety device.

i was able to test the voltage today with some help. on the house batteries, i get 13.75 volts. when the slideout is used, it slowly drops down to around 12.95 volts, and at that time seems to stop working for a few seconds. during this time, the voltage goes back up and the process repeats. while retracting the main slideout, this must happen a half dozen or so times, and each time it stops, the battery is right around 12.95 volts. Is this still a battery issue, or is there something else i should be looking at? I also stopped and bought slideout (dry) lube the other day and sprayed the hydraulic rams and the pulleys that i could see under the slideout. according to gulfstream's manual, they recommend NOT spraying the actual tracks/slides.

has anyone else has this issue with gulfstream? i would like to fix this by knowing exactly what to look at to fix, instead of throwing money at it and hoping to solve it. my brother recommended buying 2 new house batteries today, but since they only went down to 12.95 volts then right back up to 13.5+ volts, is it really a battery issue?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
my 03 Gulf Stream

I was having slide trouble with my 03 Sun Voyager (3) slides the main slide and large bed slide are manual but the second bed slide is auto 1 push start and stop/ well the main story is mine would stop ad start and it turned out to be that the slide are powered from an aux fuse board located out side controlled by a solinoid that was only powered while the ignition switch was on. turned out the solinoid was dropping power intermitedly. has a h&^% of a time finding the right 1 but all works well now.

Jeff

Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #11

UPDATE... Ok, well Im still having problems w/ the slideouts and leveling jacks. this weekend both would hardly work at all, either going in or out. I replaced BOTH house batteries but that didnt make any difference. i even had my neighbor, who was a Ford mechanic for over 20 years help look at it. he and my brother checked all batteries, and all of the "found" relays, even checked the hydraulic pump for the amp load while the slide outs were operated. they couldnt find anything out of the ordinary. neighbor thinks it might be a short somewhere between the batteries and the pump, or something else. is there is a thermal overload somewhere? would it be something related to the actual wall switch itself? im running out of options, and would like to get this figured out. the closest gulfstream dealer is over an hour and a half away and hate the thoughts of spending a day driving it there to find out its something I could have done myself.

any other suggestions as to what could be the problem?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:22 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You should have a controller in between the wall switch and the motor assembly (usually located on a compartment ceiling).
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #13

What the volts at the pump when running slide?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #14

what would the controller look like? there is a compartment that has 4 breakers and 2 on/off switched w/ massive battery cables connected to them. other than that though, i have never seen anything else.

Tags
gulfstream, slide