Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #1

H/W heater not working

I have a 2001 sea breeze with a 6 gal water heater. When I turn on gas switch it comes on and runs for about 5 sec. And shuts off. I turned on the electric switch and after 5 hours there is no hot water. Any ideas before I take it to be looked at?
Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Questions , sorry but I have to ask .

Is this a new problem , did the heater work before ?
Or is this a problem on a new to you RV , the first time you've tried to use the heater?
If this is a new to you RV and the first time you've tried it , you have to be sure the water flow through the tank hasn't be left in the by-pass or winterized position; and that the tank is full of water.
The propane system has overheat protection and will shut down ; but 5 secs seems a little short ; the electric side if the tank isn't full the element will burn out in seconds of operation. There also my be an on/off small black rocker switch for the electric , lower left corner of the heater ; outside with the vent cover removed, behind the propane valve, that any person winterizing the system might have turned off to prevent element damage.
If you don't have a manual for your water heater , there may be one with a troubleshooting guide in the " Files " drop box , near the left of the blue bar across the page under the Google search box .

Old 08-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #3

Thanks Skip. It is new to me and got it "as is" with 23000 on it.l have a manual but does not say much about it. Love the unit and every thing works so I think I am lucky. Thanks again for your input, will check it out.
Chuck
Old 08-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #4

Had a similar issue with mine couple weekends ago (AC hadn't worked when I bought it in March). I pulled every wire off and sprayed the contact and wire with contact cleaner plus reset the gap on the igniter. Everything now works including the AC side.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #5

Forgot to say my propane side was doing as yours...lighting for 5-10 seconds and then going out
Old 08-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #6

Brand?Model would be REAL helpful

2001 vintage...
That year both Suburban and Atwood had separate controls/systems for the 120V AC and the 12V DC (propane)

120V AC is direct from a circuit breaker to set of t-stats then to element

Suburban hi temp t-stat reset is in outside compartment under cover above gas valve (Push to Reset)---Left one is for electric (right one propane)
Suburban has an ON/Off switch for electric in outside compartment --lower left corner
Suburban element is in outside compartment under cover below gas valve

Atwood has electric set of t-stats on backside of WH tank...some hi temps could be reset.
Atwood has an ON/OFF switch on that cover also
Atwood electric element under the cover on backside

Suburban/Atwood propane......
Need 12V DC to on/off switch (inside rv)....fused from DC Dist Panel
12V DC then goes to set of t-stats then to circuit board for spark/gas valve (Suburban)
OR 12V DC goes to circuit board then to t-stat to circuit board then to Hi temp t-stat then gas valve and spark

So you see....similar but different
Brand/Model real helpful
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #7

Had same problem on my gas only unit. Found a great troubleshooting video on YouTube. Turned out to be the high temp sensor. Both sensors come in a replacement kit for under $25. Fixed my problem. Basically the 12v should flow through three items. An inline cutout, stat, high temp cutout and then to the gas valve. Check each item with power off and a continuity tester.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #8

Guess IT got fixed...........???
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:15 AM   #9

Yes, it got fixed. I took it all apart and cleaned it out. Put it back together and it fired up. It sputters once in a while but stays on. water gets real hot. I think it was due to not being used much, 23000 miles on it.
Thanks for all the feed back, you guys are great.
Fl RV guy 2001 30' sea breeze

Tags
heat, heater