Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #1

Haboob kills awning

A buddy from Casa Grande called me a couple days ago and said a haboob had hit her place in the desert the previous night. In the morning this is what she found.

The surprising thing is the awning was in the stored and secured position when the haboob hit.

I think there may have been a microburst within the haboob to exert enough force to open the secured awning. The end result, no matter what the cause, is a destroyed awning. Because it's an older RV her insurance won't cover it.

If you visit central Arizona in the summer you need to respect the force of a haboob...expecially if you are on a highway in your RV when one hits.

This is a photo from the state of Arizona of a haboob.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2009, 01:52 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never heard of a haboob before. Very interesting. How damaging are they to they to solid structures (stick buildings) and the surfaces of a RV? Are we talking about sand blasting of glass, paint and decals?
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Dirt Devils can do the same thing. While in Arizona, we could not leave our awning out unless we were under it as they come up so fast from no where.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #4

One scenario for the unrolling is that the prawl in the roller mechanism failed and the roller reeled out the awning and then the whole awning was pulled from the MH at one end. I have an awning lock to prevent this http://http://awninglock.com/index.shtml
There is debate about the need for a lock but I opted to get one.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #5

We stayed at a CG in Brenda, AZ a few months ago. The year round residents in the park chain down their 5th wheels and out buildings because of these sudden bursts of wind. They recommended we do not leave our awnings out when not home. A couple of years ago the host said a burst came through and flipped a fifth wheel over crushing the electric hookup pedestal. There were people in the 5er but were not seriously injured.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #6

The grit and dirt gets into everything when a haboob rolls through. If you're out in the open desert (no trees or structures to block the wind), it certainly can do damage to paint and such. However, the greater danger is the wind shear that can hit the ground with 100+ mph winds with no warning that can flip 18-wheelers or RVs on the highway.

It is amazing to go from sunlight to darkness within a few seconds when they hit.

If you are traveling in Arizona and see a haboob approaching, the best strategy is to get off the highway and find a safe place to park, turn off all lights (so that someone on the highway doesn't decide to rearend you at 85mph), and wait out the haboob. They usually last only a couple hours.

Years ago I was riding from Prescott to Tucson on my motorcycle and saw I was heading into a haboob. The only shelter I could find was under an overpass. I probably inhaled 1/2-acre of terra firma during that storm.