Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hair Dryer for Defrost

I have always heard that you should not use a hair dryer to defrost the freezer, but what actually happens if you do? If you are careful not to use too much heat in one spot, what is the harm?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
No harm in using a hair dryer.

What we do is turn off the refer, empty the freezer and then put a sauce pan full of boiling water on the shelf and then shut the door and wait.

Ice will melt and become loose then you can pick out the big chunks, use a towel to dry the compartment and reload the freezer and turn on the refer.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
I have always heard that you should not use a hair dryer to defrost the freezer, but what actually happens if you do? If you are careful not to use too much heat in one spot, what is the harm?
I've done that for many years...in my RV 's (fulltimer 6 years), and my various stick houses. Just keep the heat moving and it'll melt the ice lickity-split!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #4

as long as you do not melt the plastic parts there should be no problem I defrosted lots of sticks and brick refers the best way is with a small steam cleaner but hair drier is a close second
Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hair Dryer for Defrost

Quote:
I have always heard that you should not use a hair dryer to defrost the freezer, but what actually happens if you do?

If the RV maker or refrigerator maker recommended this procedure some genius would turn the dryer on high and mount it steady in one position while they watched some reality show on TV. Then they'd sue everyone in sight because all the plastic melted and their fridge is ruined.

If you have any common sense at all and a 3-digit IQ, a heat source carefully applied is a fine tool to assist in the defrost.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #6

Don't forget the drain cup on the backside of your refer "if" you have one.
My Norcold has a small cup on te backside that the water drains into. I will pull the drain hole thru the back panel.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with most everything that has been quoted above. I have been using a hair dryer for almost 10 years, and nary an issue. I just thought maybe there really was some technical reason not to use a hair dryer other than the obvious risk of melting plastic. I remember seeing someplace, that it could cause an issue with the thermal bond to the cooling unit, and I wanted to see if anyone else had heard the same. I am only assuming here (yes I know what happens when you assume), but I guess before there ever would become an issue with the thermal bond, the life of the cooling unit will probably expire.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #8

I don't use a hair dryer but my wife does and has been using one on RV and home refrigerators for as long as I can remember. I don't think it ever damaged a refrigerator/freezer.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #9

I've been using a hair dryer for yrs on the rv and home and nothing bad has ever happened!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #10

I always use a hair dryer combined with a little common sense (keep it slowly moving and about one foot away from surface). Works well and quickly for me.
gruelens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
The potential harm is you can cause the foam insulation to expand if you heat too much in one spot. You will end up with a bulge in the inside wall of the freezer. IMO, the risk is small if you keep the air flow moving around. Don't allow much of the hot air to hit anywhere there is no ice.

I used a hair dryer every couple of months for about 5 years of full-timing with no problems before we replaced the Norcold with a frost-free residential.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've been using a hair dryer in both my S&B home & RV for years. Same as previously stated by other members, keep it moving so you don't create a hot spot. You'll be fine.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Me too. Be careful not to have it get in the way when the upper portion starts to drip.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #14

I turn the unit off, empty the freezer and place a small fan inside on the door landing. It takes about twenty minutes to melt any ice. I dry the water, close the door and turn the unit back on. After about an hour, i put the still frozen food back in. Simple.