Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #15

I just bought a 2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay and am having it repainted in Red Bay, AL, since the original paint was wearing thin. I was advised by the paint shop that thermal cracking was occuring on the original dark colors but not the light colors. I had planned to have it painted Ford Monterey Gray (a dark metallic gray) to match the dinghy. The paint shop further advised me to choose a light color not a dark color to avoid thermal cracking in the future. Not having known of thermal cracking as an issue I'm now scratching my head as to the best choice of color. Does anyone have any observations about paint thermal cracking and color or value (dark vs light)?
nfceast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #16

Some years ago, the government did a study about the optimal time to trade in a car. Now this study conidered reliability, gas mileage, insurance, repairs, etc. The conclusion of this study? Drive it until it drops.
Now I am a bad example for this, but I believe it also applies to motorhome, and certainly to diesel pushers. If you are generally happy with your coach -- keep it. If you want a differnt one, look for one 2-4 years old, and leave yourself some cash to fix it to your heart's desire.
Now, I am a sucker -- I only buy new (seven since 1985). So, do as I say, not as I do.
Good luck!
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #17

I was told exactly the same thing by NDI, the company that does all Winnie painting. Dark colors = micro cracking.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #18

Thanks, OldChief. Further confirmation. I wonder if I should be talking to a paint chemist to get more info on the phenomenon?
nfceast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
I just bought a 2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay and am having it repainted in Red Bay, AL, since the original paint was wearing thin. I was advised by the paint shop that thermal cracking was occuring on the original dark colors but not the light colors. I had planned to have it painted Ford Monterey Gray (a dark metallic gray) to match the dinghy. The paint shop further advised me to choose a light color not a dark color to avoid thermal cracking in the future. Not having known of thermal cracking as an issue I'm now scratching my head as to the best choice of color. Does anyone have any observations about paint thermal cracking and color or value (dark vs light)?
Your definately not alone with this problem. A lot of manufacturers had this problem form 04 thru 08 I believe. I know my Newmar has started but no where near as bad as some that I've seen. In contacting the factory they wanted $28K to remove my siding and put on new but yet an 05 model was only $18K. I didn't get the cost difference as for just one year and their explanation made NO sense. At first everyone complaining about the problem were getting the same answer, there is no fix except to re-skin the coach. I thought I did read somewhere though that they now can strip the paint but before reapplying they have to apply some kind of filler that is supposed to stop this from happening. As mentioned it mostly affects the dark color painted areas the worst. The manufacturer of the siding is no longer in business. I know it's a bummer but what can you do.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #20

Dave Nagel at NDI told me it is much more prevalent on the darker colors and that's true on mine. I suspect it is just that the dark colors get so much hotter that the paint cracks. I can tell the heat difference ouching mine.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrchep View Post
I have a 2005 Winnebego Adventurer with full body paint. I have hair line cracks in the fiberglass siding all over the place. At first I noticed a few spider web type cracks around windows, now there all over. Has anyone expirenced this or know what is going on? There does not appear to be any lifting or rising in the siding. Where will it end?
Put some of the same camoflage vinyl we use on our duck boats. Would cover all the cracks and look very cool also. We got ours at Cabelas online.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote