Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #1

Haldex Pure Air Plus Service Frequency

My 2001 Cruisemaster DP uses a Haldex Pure Air plus air dryer. The service kit is DQ6026 which includes both the desiccant cartridge and the coalescing filter. The Midland Haldex Preventive Maintenance Bulletin states that both filters should be replaced every 18 months or 100,000 miles. It specifically states 18 months for RV's. I serviced mine in April 2013 and it currently works fine (no moisture from lanyards when pulled or excessive oil around the purge shield). I have seen several posts in different forums on the web where 3-5 year intervals for service seems to be the norm. I would like to go one more year before service given the location of the dryer and difficulty of the task.

I'm looking for feedback on service intervals from DP owners with the same air dryer that do their own maintenance.

Thanks,
WM

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I let mine go 3 years. The coalescent filter was almost blocked with goo. 2 years for my next service.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberleyman View Post
My 2001 Cruisemaster DP uses a Haldex Pure Air plus air dryer. The service kit is DQ6026 which includes both the desiccant cartridge and the coalescing filter. The Midland Haldex Preventive Maintenance Bulletin states that both filters should be replaced every 18 months or 100,000 miles. It specifically states 18 months for RV's. I serviced mine in April 2013 and it currently works fine (no moisture from lanyards when pulled or excessive oil around the purge shield). I have seen several posts in different forums on the web where 3-5 year intervals for service seems to be the norm. I would like to go one more year before service given the location of the dryer and difficulty of the task.

I'm looking for feedback on service intervals from DP owners with the same air dryer that do their own maintenance.

Thanks,
WM
WM,
I just finished servicing mine a few weeks ago. It's the same exact unit as yours. We purchased the coach, with 40K on the clock, four years ago and, it now has 60K on it. I had very little maintenance records that came with the coach so, for the most part, I'm pretty sure it had never been serviced before I got my hands on it.

And, like the other poster stated, upon disassembly, mine too had lots of "gunk" in both filters. Now, again, mine had not been serviced for it's life. Now, yours has been serviced but, there's a couple of things to consider before making the decision to prolong the service. One, where is your coach mostly operated? The reason I ask is, if you operate a lot in more humid states/areas, you may take in more moisture into your air system than other folks who, do not operate in the same kind of environment.

And, by running more in humid atmospheres, your air dryer has to work just a bit harder than the ones who are not operating in those types of atmospheres. And that means, you may "clog" up your filters just a tad earlier than others too. This is all of course, speculation. I have no idea where you operate mostly so, you could be just fine to let it go the added amount of time you want.

I know that I will service mine around the "every two year" mark. We don't cover the miles for the service period, which is the same for the rest of my maintenance items. Almost all of my maintenance stuff is done by time, not mileage.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
My Freightliner Maintenance Manual (Section 42-03) indicates "Typical desiccant cartridge life is 3 years but may vary from vehicle to vehicle." At three years both the desiccant cartridge and the filter look good so I use that interval.

Instructions on changing the filters are here on IRV2 iRV2 Forums - Files - Midland Air Dryer Instructions

and on the last page is a photo of filters that still look good. (You need to be logged on to download files)
Hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

Haldex Pure Air Plus Service Frequency

I've the Pure Air Plus and the problem is not the gunk in the filter but having the dessicant filter fail and it throws white powder throughout your air system.

I'm fighting that right now. It plays hell on check valves, governors and makes you more susceptible to numerous little leaks. I've read of people fighting the powder for up to 2 years to get it out of their system. Some people have had to resort to replacing their air tanks to get rid of the stuff. Or at least remove them and flush them out.

I had to replace my air dryer because it was easier than rebuilding after all the dessicant gummed everything up. If you don't have Air leveling it's not quite as bad but still if I was you....change it. It's not worth the hassle if it goes bad.

Hate to sound like the harbinger of death but that's what it feels like to me right now dealing with that nasty stuff.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb74 View Post
I've the Pure Air Plus and the problem is not the gunk in the filter but having the dessicant filter fail and it throws white powder throughout your air system.

I'm fighting that right now. It plays hell on check valves, governors and makes you more susceptible to numerous little leaks. I've read of people fighting the powder for up to 2 years to get it out of their system. Some people have had to resort to replacing their air tanks to get rid of the stuff. Or at least remove them and flush them out.

I had to replace my air dryer because it was easier than rebuilding after all the dessicant gummed everything up. If you don't have Air leveling it's not quite as bad but still if I was you....change it. It's not worth the hassle if it goes bad.

Hate to sound like the harbinger of death but that's what it feels like to me right now dealing with that nasty stuff.

Well Sir,
I contemplated just replacing my Pure Air dryer when it came time for service due to the fact that I didn't know what was involved in the rebuild/service of it. But, after a bit of reading on here and other RV forums about the ease at which it's serviced, I thought, what the heck, I'll go for it. I'm really glad I did. That air dryer is a piece of cake to remove, disassemble, clean what needs to be cleaned and, re-install all the new components/filters/relief valves/gaskets etc. and finally, re-install it back on the coach.

And, while our coach had 60K on the clock and, is hovering at 11 years old, I found no evidence of that white powder you spoke of.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #7

That's great Scott, I contemplated rebuilding mine also but shoulder reconstruction surgery kinda took care of that. I didn't mean that you should replace the whole air dryer, just err on the side of caution and don't go too long without changing the filter.....evidently like I did!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If you run the Haladex pure air plus I susgest that you carry a bypass fitting a 1/2 inch T with a 1/2 X 1/4 bushing and install the proper fittings to fit the in and out air lines on the dryer. If the desiccant does rupture the filter fibers can hang the unloaded valve open enough that the air compressor can't build pressure and that means you are stuck on the side of the road. The 1/2 X 1/4 bushing if for the governor pressure sensing line.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #9

Bruce,

Just curious, how long had your desiccant filter been installed when it failed?

Thanks,
WM
Old 04-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #10

WM,

Can't say, bought the coach in April (no service records) and the air dryer was on the "to do" agenda. I noticed the powder about 4 months later. From what I've read sometimes there's no rhyme or reason as to their failure but humid areas seems to be worst.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:35 AM   #11

I'm new to iRV2 and am very impressed. I bought my 1999 Discovery new and wasn't aware of the air dryer maintenance and it has about 58k miles. I just serviced the dryer for the first time with the DQ6026 kit. The dryer was very dirty on the outside (most likely from greasing the u-joints and slinging grease) but the inside was pretty clean, and no white powder. I lived in Texas and Pennsylvania during that time frame. I'm not suggesting using a long interval, but just providing my experience. As stated in this thread I think that driving in high moisture areas is the real issue. I was concerned about tackling this job but found it fairly simple and it took about 2 hours mostly cleaning the grease off the outside of the dryer. I plan to service mine going forward in the 3-5 year time frame depending on where we travel humidity wise as we are full timers now. I watched a 4 part series on air brakes on YouTube by Bendix that was awesome and provides an in depth view of the entire brake system. If you have the time (2 hours) I highly recommend it.

Tags
service