Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Half bath door problems - Newmar and others

We've been researching half bath doors and it seems some like Newmar really think the half bath is like one on an airplane...very small and a difficult door. Others don't seem to do that but you can't tell how usable any are without trying each with the slides in (one of the cases where you really count on the half bath). Does anyone have experience with these....Newmar in particular? Do all work ok with slides in and do they keep working? Newmar's appears to be a really weak link in a wonderful set of coaches.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 05:35 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I remember correctly, newmar pivots rather than using a hinge. It looks like the door will open all the way and lay flat against the wall for full access. Our bounder opens almost all the way, maybe an inch or two short but proved plenty of access with slides in
Old 01-30-2016, 05:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes that's the problem...the Newmars pivot and they seem to have an insubstantial hinge. We are looking at moving to a DP but want the half bath like we have in the Bounder. It seems like getting into the half bath with slides in is really something to consider when moving to a new model. A related topic is getting into the fridge. Both issues aren't that bad in the Bounder.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:53 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Newmar went to the mid-hinge 2 or 3 years ago. Before that they had standard hinges like everybody else and with some of their floorpans the half bath door had a very limited opening when slides were in. You are smart to consider this. We have seen coaches that we loved when slides were out but were barely usable with the slides in. This is a very important factor that many overlook.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:01 AM   #5

To answer your question about whether other brands have that same issue; no. With slides in our 1/2 bath door opens almost 3/4 of the way. This is only slightly less is normally opened for access even with the slides out.
Newmar makes good coaches but like all brands and models they have ther own particular idiosyncrasies.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:05 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Our Entegra floor plan 44B is great with the slides in. Can open the hall 1/2 bath door all the way and have full access to the frig and sink. We have the straight couch, so no l-shape couch to impede the walkway.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
My MADP has a standard door and is not effected by the slides. It can open all the way. When I was in the market, the door was proudly displayed as a revolutionary feature. If I'm not mistaken, I was told that Newmar has a patent on it, but I could be wrong. You should go on the Newmar Owners forum and ask that question because there are tons of them out there.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our Revolution has a sliding door, much like a pocket door except it is not enclosed inside the bathroom. Once I installed a guide at the bottom (exactly like you'd see on a sliding patio or bedroom closet door in your home) it has worked fine.

The Newmar we just ordered has the unusual hinge mentioned. While we don't yet have any experience living with it, I don't remember thinking it would be an issue. It "shrank" the room while open, but close it behind you and the 1/2 bath is no more nor no less than I'd expect.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #9

I have the Newmar MH in my sig....Yes, the half bath is small but it is workable......Accessed without issue when all slides are in on my MH....The door is unique and works fine.......

In my opinion, the half bath fulfills its purpose...Accessible when travelling with slides in...Without it, you would have to crawl over bed to use the aft head, not really fun...
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #10

2014 Ventana 4037. 1/2 bath door pivots from center. No problem accessing bath with slides in.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks gang. That's what I wanted...a little cross section of experience. The DW thinks the Newmar hinged door is a show stopper and I think I agree. We probably use the half bath more due to guests and convenience plus believe it or not it makes for a quiet space for a business call (LOL). So for us size and easy access do matter!

As usual folks here help the RVing community a lot...thank you.

Bill
Old 01-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Of the newer Newmar's I've walked through at shows & at my local dealer, I find the pivot doors on them annoying. The doorways to the half baths seem narrow to begin with & the pivoting door takes up even more room in that narrow frame. Due to placements of sink & toilet, in some models I found myself having to side-step my way to get in & I don't like that. I'm not big by any means, but I sure didn't like how I had to enter that space sideways sometimes.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We have the Newmar with the half bath and the pivoting door. I'm 6'2" 300 pounds and really don't have an issue using the 1/2 bath while underway. On my model, the tight fit is the refer. The only time it can be an issue is loading the refer with groceries while the coach is closed up. My wife can open and load it easily, but due to my girth, it's tough to open both doors without stepping to one side.

Like everything else, there is always give and take. Since we don't go in and out of the refer that often while the coach is closed, it's not a big deal. Keep in mind, the trade off is a very deep full wall slide tha really opens the room up when open.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
We have a 2015 holiday rambler vacationers 36dbt with mid door, the half bath opens all the way and the entire kitchen, living and eating area is fully usefully with the coach closed up.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, ems, newmar, problems