Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
hallway Energy Management Panel switch?

We have an Intellitec 50a Smart EMS panel. It has on it, a red illuminated switch that says water heater 120V. I ASSUMED that when I turned it off, (light out), that there would be no 120V power to the water heater receptacle. However, that is NOT the case.
I had that switch off when I drained the tank and replaced the dripping drain plug.
Now, the heater only works on LP, not 120v. So now, I checked and I do have 120V to the receptacle, with the panel switch off, (breaker on). So, I will probably have to replace the element because I burned it out.
But, Can you tell me what that red lighted switch actually means? What does it really do? It sure doesn't cutoff the 120V power to the W/H, so why is it there?

It definitely fooled me. I am reminded what "assume" means again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #2

Just an assumed guess...

Since it is on the EMS it may be a priority selection, in one position the EMS can shed the load and maybe in the other it is always on ( thermostat controls actual load)

Someone who has one will be along to advise

Should be able to locate manual online
Old 03-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I think that switch is something your coach manufacturer installed. It's not part of the standard Intelletec remote display, nor of the associated breaker panel. Or maybe it is something customized for Monaco/HR? I know Winnebago has their own custom version of the EMS (but it doesn't have a heater switch either).

You can review the standard Smart EMS specs and logic here:

http://www.flemingsalesoem.com/intel...0684.200-2.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a thought but both of my Winnebago's had a separate switch somewhere for electric water heater. Current one is in the cabinet over washer/dryer. The water heater switch near the EMS is for gas operation only. Turning this switch on, the red light comes on and when the heater lights the red light goes out. The red light will come back on only if the water heater gas burner misfires.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #5

On my Winnebago, the switch actually switches 12 volts dc which operates a relay that connects the 120 volt ac to the electric heating element. So with the same scenario as you have, I would still have 120 volt ac at the outlet. Bu it would only go to the element if the switch is on. Maybe your HR is similar.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, you have burned out the electric heating element. In the future, to be on the safe side, always use the circuit breaker to cut power to the water heater element.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
followup to my original thread post about the red switch...

I found that the heating element is not bad after all. I have 13.5 ohms resistance across the 2 terminals, with wires removed. I see a relay in the black plastic box that covers the element. It seems that it has a low voltage coil, which must be controlled by that red illuminated wall switch I mentioned. So, that switch must control a relay that controls 120V power to the element. (I assume.) I will read the Atwood wiring diagram.

The last time I turned the 120V element on, I didn't feel any hot water after about 20 minutes, so I fired up the propane heater, assuming the 120V was not working. That was another bad assumption.
ChasA was right on.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
On my Winnebago, the switch actually switches 12 volts dc which operates a relay that connects the 120 volt ac to the electric heating element. So with the same scenario as you have, I would still have 120 volt ac at the outlet. Bu it would only go to the element if the switch is on. Maybe your HR is similar.
This is exactly how my 08 HR works.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
YC1

Here are a couple of schematics.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2.pdf (1.66 MB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf EMS Panel Wiring.pdf (400.4 KB, 34 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #10

I have a an 04 Winne Journey. I had no hot water, either from 110V or propane. I noticed the red 110V light was not on, nor was the Intel panel lights on. I spent the day on here looking for answers but could not find my exact issue. My camp site neighbor said all my problems were before the water heater, and of a 12 volt nature, not 110V. He told me to look for a tripped 12 circuit breaker. I had checked all the 110V breakers and they were fine, never thought to look at the 12V ones. Sure enough, he was exactly right, the 12V breaker panel located under the fridge had tripped. Reset it, little red light back on, Intel panel lit back up, and all is well. Hope this helps someone else save a day of looking in the wrong area.
WinnieJurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I have always shut the switch (the one with the red light) for the electric water heater off when traveling. After stopping, hooking up, etc., I turn the switch back on and at times have turned the hot water faucet on shortly after turning the switch on and have found the water to be very hot. This has happened even after leaving from home when I know the water heater has not been on. For that reason I have never traveled with an empty hot water heater.

Does anyone have a suggestion or answer as to what might be going on here? I have a 2007 Winnebago Journey. Is it possible heat from the pusher's engine could be warming the water a bit while traveling or is it that the switch is not working and the heating element is always on?
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Depends on whether you have the Motoraide feature or not. Or whatever your manufacturer calls it.

Some hot water heaters have another loop that goes to the engine which uses the heat from the engine to keep the water in your hot water tank HOT.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote