Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

Halogen to LED advice

I want to change from halogen to LED in my light fixtures. How much should I spend on the LEDs? They range from $10 to over $20 each. Do you truly get what you pay for? I know they are all made in China and I found a midrange priced Ming for about $15. Any advice on what brand to buy? I know that 1 watt equals about 15 lumens. Also the 2 prong ceiling lamps are very hard to line up and install. Any secrets here? (Please, no put some hair around it comments) Do the round ceiling light fixtures come apart?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We just did our coach. Not the cheapest, but definitely the best and great advice for all questions asked. If your ceiling lights are like our puck lights, 1/4 turn of the lens and off it comes. I used a magnifying glass for the 2 prong LED's. Eyes are the 1st thing to go!
M4 Products

Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I ordered mine from a web site called mininthebox for less than $2 each. Was able to get 2700 kelvin which I wanted because I think the 3500 is too white. I have been using them for about 6 months and have no complaints. I had about 70 to install so the lower price made it worth a try I ordered a small number first to see if they would work for me
Old 12-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
We went with natural white
Elite Series Retrofit LED to replace Small 10w G4 / T3 Halogen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0917.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	81778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0918.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	81779  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	81780  
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well if you plan on 20 bucks go with Eco-Leds (Get 'em at an RV store) I like the Cool Whites myself, some like Warm White better.

As for the lower cost options... Try one, if you like it buy more, I say this because I have found some that were strongly related to the contents of ye-old-black-tank. and some that were darn good, and strangly the good ones cost less in my case.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Got all mine from Amazon and eBay for much lower cost and they all work well.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #7

We did our motorhome earlier this year with the Samsung Elite series form M4 Products.

M4 Products

All the ceiling lights were 20 watt halogens. We went with the direct Samsung replacements in natural light. We could have gone with the 10 watt replacements, but I prefer a little more light.

We also replaced the 921 bulbs in the wall sconces, the dining table light, and bathroom, and bedroom wall lights.

M4 Products will allow you to open and install 1 of each type bulb you order for test purposes. If you decide you don't like them you can return all of them including the 1 of each style you opened. The company has great support for deciding what to order. They have a page on their site that compares the bulbs in the "warm" "natural" and "cool white" versions.

We have been more than happy with the products. They aren't the cheapest on the market, but I do believe they offer high quality products with a strong warranty.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:19 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Halogen to LEDs

I also went with M4 Products to change all my halogens to LEDs. The have great support, can even figure out how many bulbs you need for you coach. They have a well made product compared to the cheaper ones available on line. The key to the quality in their product is the heat sink material. The cheap china versions use plastic heat sinks and they are known for early failure. M4 uses aluminum bases for the heat sinks. Yes they may cost a bit more but you will have long lasting, trouble free LED lighting.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
I want to change from halogen to LED in my light fixtures. How much should I spend on the LEDs? They range from $10 to over $20 each. Do you truly get what you pay for? I know they are all made in China and I found a midrange priced Ming for about $15. Any advice on what brand to buy? I know that 1 watt equals about 15 lumens. Also the 2 prong ceiling lamps are very hard to line up and install. Any secrets here? (Please, no put some hair around it comments) Do the round ceiling light fixtures come apart?
I've been playing with LED lighting for several years. We replaced about 60 ceiling lights in our 07 Mountain Aire, then used the LED rope lights to add lighting to cabinets and under the vanity cabnet in the bath (the DW favorite).

There is a learning curve with LEDs. First is to become fimilar with the various colors they produce. Here you will see numbers like 2500K to 6500k. The lower number are more like Incandecent lights (kinda yellow), the middle numbers more Bright White and the higher numbers look blueish. Personally I like the lower numbered LED lights.

Then there is the nomenclature. G4 is the Two Prong pin thats 4mm apart. This is the type used to replace the Halogen Ceiling lights. Admittedly, it takes a bit to learn how to replace these lights. Personally, I used a Needle Nose Plyers and grabbed the plastic base adjacent to the pins and a flashlight.

Sourcing the LEDs is another challenge. As you have found out there is a wide range of prices for these little buggers. In my case I ended up purchasing most of my LEDs from EBay. And most shipped from China. However, today you can find US shippment for these lights. I finally got pricing down to about $1.30 each.

Good luck,
Old 12-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I like rvledbulbs.com because of the great customer service and "satisfaction guaranteed" policy. They offer the high end Revolution brand leds, mid-priced Mings, and also lower-priced generic Chinese bulbs in many sizes. I've used moslty Revolution and Ming and find both to be excellent, with a wide choice of lumens and color temperature, but have put the cheaper bulbs in a few places too, e.g. our storage bay lights.

I've also bought a variety of LEDs from Amazon and Ebay sources, so good and a few crappy. There are low-priced bulbs that are indeed cheaply made, with poor quality voltage & current regulation necessary for good, long-lasting Leds. Hard to know what you are getting from some cheap bulb vendors - I've had a few of them overheat, die quickly, or change color within a few months. The advantage of dealing with a reputable merchant is that they will back the product and replace defective or unacceptable bulbs free, including shipping.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice