Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure if you are still getting these, but I would love more info on it.
John in Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Miami View Post
Not sure if you are still getting these, but I would love more info on it.

Could you be more specific:

You are still getting these - who is “you”? What are “these”?

I would love more info on it - What is “it”?

If you will answer these questions, someone can perhaps provide your requested information.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Could you be more specific:

You are still getting these - who is “you”? What are “these”?

I would love more info on it - What is “it”?

If you will answer these questions, someone can perhaps provide your requested information.
Yeah, well, that did not work out so well..>LOL
I did a quick reply to a post where the user had been to a company out west who installed a Braun lift for him, and said to let him know if we wanted more info.
Guess I'll have to go find the original post.
Sorry about that.
John in Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:08 AM   #32

John in Miami-

I don't think I'm the guy you mention but I recently purchased a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on which the PO had a Braun UVL installed by a company in the Sacramento area about 4 years ago. The UVL is installed under the existing entry door (27" wide) in the area (widened) that originally contained the powered steps.

The PO told me they had to have some mods made to the exhaust piping for the UVL to fit and that the total cost, including installation, was about $15k.

What information would you like?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Added thread MOBILE DISABLED in master thread.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhshaffer View Post
We have a handicap son and own a 2004 Mandalay 40'. Had a lift installed by Coach Lift in Phoenix AZ. Here is a email address for them sales@coachlift.com This lift is wonderful on getting our son in and out of the coach. We have no regrets on the install.
You can also go to their website. Coachlift.com

Sent from my Z970 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
mhshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #35

RV manufacturers that build for Disabled Wheelchair

Hi all..

From the UK

Years ago we use to have a Swift Kontiki motorhome and spent years touring europe until the 2 kids had grown up and they wanted to fly to exotic locations, so we gave it all up for them.. typical kids eh..

So now they have grown up and 3 years ago my wife had a major operation (full hindquarter - whole leg aputated) which has now made her wheelchair bound.

So were looking at getting back into the motorhome scene, looking at disabled adapted RV's with slideouts etc to import into the UK , so we can retire and spend the next 5-10 years following motogp around europe, visting countries/cities etc living full time in the RV etc .

I have been looking at Newmar 3911/4311 and Winnnebago Forza 38W that seem to build RV's from the ground up for disabled people and wheelchair access by using chair lifts, shorter depth/height units and rollin showers etc..

Can you tell me of any other RV manf. that make RV's from the ground up for disabled people /wheel chair access etc

I'm looking for a diesel pusher rather than gas.

My main problem is that i can only import max length of 12m - 39.37ft

Paul
Pablo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo1 View Post
Hi all..

From the UK

Years ago we use to have a Swift Kontiki motorhome and spent years touring europe until the 2 kids had grown up and they wanted to fly to exotic locations, so we gave it all up for them.. typical kids eh..

So now they have grown up and 3 years ago my wife had a major operation (full hindquarter - whole leg aputated) which has now made her wheelchair bound.

So were looking at getting back into the motorhome scene, looking at disabled adapted RV's with slideouts etc to import into the UK , so we can retire and spend the next 5-10 years following motogp around europe, visting countries/cities etc living full time in the RV etc .

I have been looking at Newmar 3911/4311 and Winnnebago Forza 38W that seem to build RV's from the ground up for disabled people and wheelchair access by using chair lifts, shorter depth/height units and rollin showers etc..

Can you tell me of any other RV manf. that make RV's from the ground up for disabled people /wheel chair access etc

I'm looking for a diesel pusher rather than gas.

My main problem is that i can only import max length of 12m - 39.37ft

Paul
many of your Newmar MH's that end in "11" model number are for disabled persons. But if you want to look into Winnebago go to their website " Winnebagoind. Com" it'll show you 8 pics. click on the last one: Specialty vehicles when it brings up the new page click on "Ability Equipped" vehicles. You can navigate from there.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
many of your Newmar MH's that end in "11" model number are for disabled persons. But if you want to look into Winnebago go to their website " Winnebagoind. Com" it'll show you 8 pics. click on the last one: Specialty vehicles when it brings up the new page click on "Ability Equipped" vehicles. You can navigate from there.

Hi many thanks..

Yes Newmar do disabled vehicles but they are all over 12M which can not be imported into the uk, else one would be on order now.. ;-)

As for Winnebago, i have looked at their offerings, but all of the DP do not have room for a wheelchair (30") to move from front to back/toilet while slides are in (if the wife needs the toilet etc, i'd have to stop soem where safe, wind out the slides just to access the toilet/bed area)

The newmar's get away with it due to the side units being slightly shorter in depth, as both newmar and winnebago are the same internal width

If Winnebago could make shorter units in depth and height giving 30" clearance front to back withslides in, plus fittting in a wheelchair braun side door/lift in say a Horizon under 12M in length then they would be a defo consideration and id be flying out there to discuss and plan it all out.

So really asking is there anyone else in the USA that makes disbale dvehicles from scratch on assembly lines like Newmar / Winnebago under 12M in length, else i will have to consider major adaptations (all above) on an existing floorplan etc
Old 09-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #38

Pablo1-

Having looked at numerous RVs and even more floor plans with wheelchair access in mind, I think you're going to find the 30" clearance, with slides in, will significantly limit your choices.

With my Itasca Suncruiser 35U, I only have to put the slides out a few inches to get the necessary clearance. Even if we had clearance, my wife wouldn't be using the restroom while we were driving for safety reasons, so finding a safe place to stop isn't an issue. Extending the slides a few inches really isn't that big of a deal.

Another thing to consider is whether or not the choke point is something that can be modified. In many cases, the choke point may only be the end of a counter, a dinette, or something else that can be modified. In our case, the distance from the refrigerator to the bathroom wall was a bit narrow. I was able to modify the cabinetwork so that the refrigerator was 2" closer to the outside wall while still maintaining adequate installation clearance, giving us 2" more hallway space. Additionally, residential refrigerators take up significantly more space due to their protruding doors, so a rig with a non-residential refrigerator may have more clearance.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Pablo1-

Having looked at numerous RVs and even more floor plans with wheelchair access in mind, I think you're going to find the 30" clearance, with slides in, will significantly limit your choices.

With my Itasca Suncruiser 35U, I only have to put the slides out a few inches to get the necessary clearance. Even if we had clearance, my wife wouldn't be using the restroom while we were driving for safety reasons, so finding a safe place to stop isn't an issue. Extending the slides a few inches really isn't that big of a deal.

Another thing to consider is whether or not the choke point is something that can be modified. In many cases, the choke point may only be the end of a counter, a dinette, or something else that can be modified. In our case, the distance from the refrigerator to the bathroom wall was a bit narrow. I was able to modify the cabinetwork so that the refrigerator was 2" closer to the outside wall while still maintaining adequate installation clearance, giving us 2" more hallway space. Additionally, residential refrigerators take up significantly more space due to their protruding doors, so a rig with a non-residential refrigerator may have more clearance.

Cheers fella

I did not realise you can extend the slides just a few inches, i thought once you hit the button to extend it went all the way out , so do you have to hold the button in until its at the extension you want ?

That opens up a lot more selections ;-)

Also the 'pinch point' is what i'm looking at to see if that can be widened on some floor plans.. most are normally around the kitchen worktop area .

I'd also like the worksurfaces to be lower as well - an dthis was why i was after a manf that could do custom disabled builds like Newmar.
I did ask newmar if they could use there build process for their disabled range on a shorter model (12m or les) but was told they dont/cant do this - which i can understand as it would be a one off..

"I apologize that we cannot build a floorplan for you as it is against our special policy".
The 37 foot Ventana will not allow enough space for a wheelchair to guide through. If we were to modiy that floorplan to accommodate a wheelchair everything would have to be modified. With Newmar being a production facility on an assembly line, that is not something we can offer for you.

Many thanks and much appreciated

Paul
Old 09-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo1 View Post
I did not realise you can extend the slides just a few inches, i thought once you hit the button to extend it went all the way out , so do you have to hold the button in until its at the extension you want ?
Yes, that is exactly what you do. In our case, it's about 6" in the main living area and about a foot in the bath/bedroom area.

I know that you want a Diesel pusher but that is also limiting in terms of entry door access. I don't know what kind of wheelchair your wife has and if the 30" is absolutely a requirement or not but my wife has a manual chair and she can fairly easily get through a 27" opening. Most Winnebago gas coaches have 27" entry doors and it's possible to mount a Braun UVL (under vehicle lift, like Newmar uses) under the existing entry door in the area intended for the electric steps. That's what my Itasca 35U has, which was installed by the previous owner. It requires some re-routing of the exhaust piping but, otherwise it's a pretty straight-forward install and works great. The previous owner told me that it was about $15k installed.

Here it is in the stowed position:

[IMG]httphttps://www.flickr.com/photos/10545703@N02/44825781591/in/datetaken/[/IMG]
Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Yes, that is exactly what you do. In our case, it's about 6" in the main living area and about a foot in the bath/bedroom area.

I know that you want a Diesel pusher but that is also limiting in terms of entry door access. I don't know what kind of wheelchair your wife has and if the 30" is absolutely a requirement or not but my wife has a manual chair and she can fairly easily get through a 27" opening. Most Winnebago gas coaches have 27" entry doors and it's possible to mount a Braun UVL (under vehicle lift, like Newmar uses) under the existing entry door in the area intended for the electric steps. That's what my Itasca 35U has, which was installed by the previous owner. It requires some re-routing of the exhaust piping but, otherwise it's a pretty straight-forward install and works great. The previous owner told me that it was about $15k installed.

Here it is in the stowed position:
Here's the photo that didn't post before. Sorry for not noticing this sooner:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44825620801_1c455e40a0_z.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	223121  
Old 07-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #42

Lift

That lift is really out of the way also. I have been paralyzed from the chest down for 3 years now and want to get out and start RVing again. Can someone alone in a wheelchair operate that lift and still stow it once in the RV? I am paralyzed but still very independent. I would like to be able to find an RV where I can operate the RV and get out and back in on my own. The Newmars are very nice but finding a used one is hard to find. Do you have pictures of the lift extended and door open?
Thanks
Gp
gpdakota is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, newmar, handicap, mobility, class b