Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tallman, the BAY STARS have the short coach's in their line-up.--- OWNERS GUIDE
CHECK ALSO BAY STAR Section of QT's # 3 below in my signature.
Good luck in your quest.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #16

Thanks 007. Just looking for leg room and a mod for the brake pedal. Sat in a few class As can't use my left foot for the break due to the column being in the way not bought a Class A just yet. Not going to buy any new MH find something around 2005. Then if I mess something up it will be ok Ron
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ron there maybe some shops that can design a brake peddle for left side of steering column.
They deal with handicap problems, may find out who and where in the Handicap forum link.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The new Newmar's for 2018 are here for mobility group, first post.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #19

Triple E Owners Club
Hey Ron I installed an old Toyota 4 runner captains seat in my 75 classy. ..... note that should read Class C. Had to modify the base of course, but afterwards I was more comfortable in it than my 04 GMC 3500!

I've since upgraded to a Class Eh and the leg room issue was back. This one is a 98 Triple E Commander! So the first mod. was to raise the driver's seat 3 ins. with two pieces of square tubing! Still not quiet enough, so I removed the front bench for the table and will make it free floating so I can slide it back in place for the bed. Now the driver's captain's seat will slide back to where I think I could put my feet on the dash!

Not sure how this will help you with your break pedal issue, but there's a cpl idea's anyway!

Best of luck...... Jer
Wilf Huckitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
I would interested to see a photo of any handicap ramp installs anyone has done. I am looking for a good way to help my mother get in and out of the RV. She has serious walking problems, so I'd like to see when anyone else might have done.
Between my brother and myself we installed a wheel chair lift in my old 75 Classy for this reason cimplexsound! Sorry but I'm not sure how to post pictures on here or with this tablet!

Best of luck to you though....... Jer
Wilf Huckitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #21

Before I purchased my Itasca I was looking at the Tiffin Allegro Bus. I too can not break with my right foot which has been amputated. I met Bob Tiffin at an RV show and spoke to nim about the steering wheel post being in the way. He said he would have his factory install a U bracket around the post and a second break pedal on the left for me if I ordered a brand new coach. I'm sure any manufacturer would do that or a dealer selling a used Class A. You could even use a horse shoe for good luck lol lol.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #22

We have a handicap son and own a 2004 Mandalay 40'. Had a lift installed by Coach Lift in Phoenix AZ. Here is a email address for them sales@coachlift.com This lift is wonderful on getting our son in and out of the coach. We have no regrets on the install.
mhshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #23

My wife uses a manual wheelchair and, after weeks of looking and exploring the pluses and minuses of various floorplans, we lucked out and found a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on our local Craigslist. It came complete with a commercially certified, Braun Under Vehicle Lift (UVL) that the previous owner had installed under the existing 27" wide entry door at a total cost of $15,000. It's a little older than we planned on but it's in good condition and we couldn't pass up the lift. I figure we bought a lift with a motorhome attached for the same or just a little more than just the motorhome would have cost.

Winnebago is one of the few manufactures with a 27" wide entry door which is wide enough for my wife's chair. The 35U floor plan is one of the better ones for access despite having the toilet and shower in a single room. It has a pretty large open space for maneuvering between the bed and bathroom.

I widened the passageway from the kitchen to the bath/bedroom by modifying the refrigerator cabinet to provide an additional 2" clearance. In doing so, I was able to stay within the specified clearances for the refrigerator installation. I removed the bathroom door and widened the doorway by a few inches. Instead of a door on the bathroom itself, I'll be installing an accordion door to close off the "hallway" from the kitchen. It won't be as private as the original configuration but will be much more accessible and after 45 years of marriage, privacy isn't of primary concern.

We ordered a second set of wheelchair wheels without hand rims that my wife will use inside the coach. This will provide additional clearance.

I've lowered the bed platform by 2" for easier transfer from her wheelchair and will be replacing the carpet and reclining couch at a later date. We need the couch space for the existing recliner so she has clear access to the passenger seat with the slide closed. We will add a second recliner. Since it's just the two of us we don't need the additional sleeping space the couch provided.

Since it came with a lift, the only major expenses have been repairs unrelated to accessibility (new shocks, A/C repair, hydraulic hose replacement, etc.) Accessibility costs have been minimal since I'm doing all the work.

The most important thing I've learned is that accessibility is a matter of inches and sometimes less than an inch. I can't tell you how many rigs were good candidates except for a protruding shower base or a jog in a passageway. Unfortunately, unless the rig already has a lift installed, a disabled person confined to a chair might not be able to check out the interior in person unless they're light enough they can be manually lifted. This means that an able-bodied person needs to take the chair into the rig and check out all clearances.

Bed access can be of primary importance. A curbside bed slide out was perfect for us since access to the right (when lying in it) of the bed is best for my wife. A driver-side bed slide out might be the best option for others. Equally important is how much of the bedside is accessible.

I'll put together a posting with photos when I'm finished.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
I would interested to see a photo of any handicap ramp installs anyone has done. I am looking for a good way to help my mother get in and out of the RV. She has serious walking problems, so I'd like to see when anyone else might have done.
Unless you're stationary for long periods of time, a ramp isn't the best solution. ADA specifies 1 foot of ramp for every inch of height which can get pretty unwieldy. Anything less is pretty unaccessible for a wheelchair without assistance and, depending on the person's ability, difficult for walking.

If she can stand, a better and relatively inexpensive (emphasis on "relatively"), method is a Handy Lift by Burr Engineering:

Burr Engineering and Development Co - Handy Lifts

We used one for several years (which I need to sell but haven't posted yet) on our travel trailer until my wife started having difficulty standing. We now have a much more expensive wheelchair lift.

It's also fairly easy to install by anyone who's used to working on their RV.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #25

I need to clarify that the Burr Handy Lift that I have to sell only lifts 40", which is probably not enough for most class A motorhomes. Burr sells a model with a higher lift range that will work on most class A motorhomes.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #26

Handicap rv club ?

Not sure if this is correct place to post this or not Anyone know of Handicap rv clubs I have tried to join Handicap travel club but I don't know if it's me or what computer won't let me I have even emailed every email address on there website no response so anymore clubs we live about 50 mi s of St Louis also I have a set lift I had it in a 93 f250 will fit others bolts to frame 2 lifting tubes go up thru floor next to pass seat platform seat attaches to that removable and folds up works great Bruno brand Free if you can use it ..
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyman View Post
Not sure if this is correct place to post this or not Anyone know of Handicap rv clubs I have tried to join Handicap travel club but I don't know if it's me or what computer won't let me I have even emailed every email address on there website no response so anymore clubs we live about 50 mi s of St Louis also I have a set lift I had it in a 93 f250 will fit others bolts to frame 2 lifting tubes go up thru floor next to pass seat platform seat attaches to that removable and folds up works great Bruno brand Free if you can use it ..

Grumpyman: It is very generous of you to offer a handicapped lift for which you no longer have a need to someone. Accessibility products are expensive to buy and many people find them cost prohibitive. I hope someone takes you up on your offer and can use the device to give them more freedom to travel in their vehicle of choice.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #28

Do you have any pictures? Also will it work if you have a 5th wheel?
mhshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, newmar, handicap, mobility, class b