Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #1

Hankook tire wear

Has anyone had a problem with Hankook tires wearing on the inside and outside edges. They are 275 x 70 x 22.5 I have had the 4 corners weighed and am carrying 10lb over the recommended chart.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseidel View Post
Has anyone had a problem with Hankook tires wearing on the inside and outside edges. They are 275 x 70 x 22.5 I have had the 4 corners weighed and am carrying 10lb over the recommended chart.

Thanks
I had the same thing going on with my Michelin's years back......After finding this dust pattern on the tire's(Alignment OK) I started adjusting the tire pressure's according to the tire wear pattern.......when I pull into my garage, I can see the wear pattern on all the tire's from the dust on the floor(How much of the tire surface is on the concrete).........Handles wonderful, and the tire's are wearing perfect. I had the same wear, and the tire's were adjusted according to the chart's............under inflated.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #3

If a tire is wearing on the inner AND outer edges and it is mounted on the proper width wheel, it is under inflated regardless of what a load chart might say.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That is a classic sign of an under-inflated tire. Nothing wrong with the tire - just the inflation pressure you are using.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spot on replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If a tire is wearing on the inner AND outer edges and it is mounted on the proper width wheel, it is under inflated regardless of what a load chart might say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That is a classic sign of an under-inflated tire. Nothing wrong with the tire - just the inflation pressure you are using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I had the same thing going on with my Michelin's years back......After finding this dust pattern on the tire's(Alignment OK) I started adjusting the tire pressure's according to the tire wear pattern.......when I pull into my garage, I can see the wear pattern on all the tire's from the dust on the floor(How much of the tire surface is on the concrete).........Handles wonderful, and the tire's are wearing perfect. I had the same wear, and the tire's were adjusted according to the chart's............under inflated.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #6

Have the Hankook AH12's in your size.

No wear pattern at all after 4 years and 20K miles.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:30 PM   #7

Well,
At this point, I can't answer for RV size/type Hankooks but, I've been running them on our toad/truck, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab for about 2 years now and, they're wearing absolutely great. They are an "A/T" tire, (All terrain) and, they're so nice I equipped our new Jeep toad with the same exact tire only in the 315 Series. Very quiet, great traction. Now that I know they're available in the 22.5" series, I'll have to look into them.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I had that brand on a smaller Safari motor home and never had a problem with them.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions. Spoke to my tire man and he suggested I put the tires up to 115 lbs ( currently at 105 )and see what happens. I was going to move the front tires to the left rear but he suggested I just try the highest pressure for now.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Good suggestion, except that you won't be able to tell if it works for several thousand miles. Take some pictures of the existing tread wear, so you can compare it later.

It's a whole lot easier and quicker to detect the improvement (or not) if you move those tires elsewhere and then keep an eye on the "new" front ones.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #11

got exaclty the same tires and same wear pattern after about 35k miles.

I think the issue is the motorhome original tires are 14 ply versus 16ply hancook. They need more air to not allow the center of the tire to invert under the higher weights regardless of what it says on the sticker.
boyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyland View Post
got exaclty the same tires and same wear pattern after about 35k miles.

I think the issue is the motorhome original tires are 14 ply versus 16ply hankook. They need more air to not allow the center of the tire to invert under the higher weights regardless of what it says on the sticker.
I also want to make a point i have a pressure monitor system and have always had them inflated per the vehicle plate at 105 front and 100 rear.
boyland is offline   Reply With Quote