Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
My impression, after researching and reading countless reviews and tire industry blogs, quality is about the same across the spectrum on the top-tier tires. Each has had its problem moments, but generally speaking it's more a matter of personal taste than anything else when choosing between top-tier tires. Get into the lower-quality tires and less expensive imported tires, and all bets are off in my book.

With that said I have no doubt that you can find the proper size tire, from a top-tier brand, at a price that will be comparable to the Hankooks.

Important consideration would be your rim width. The Hankook's specifications state 9" rim, the Michelin state both 8.25" and 9". What rims are on your coach? Have you confirmed that whatever tire you're considering is rated for your rims?

Richard; what do you consider top tier tire brands?
I currently have Michelin XZA2 Energy 295/80R/22.5. Can I tell from that what size the rims are?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Richard; what do you consider top tier tire brands?
I currently have Michelin XZA2 Energy 295/80R/22.5. Can I tell from that what size the rims are?
Rim size might be stamped into the rim, but you'll have to search for it. You might also have luck looking at the brochures for your year and model. Or, try calling the manufacturer and see if they can look it up by the VIN.

Top tier? To me that includes Firestone, Continental, Toyo, Goodyear, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Michelin, Hankook, and probably a few others I can't think of off hand.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
<snip?

Top tier? To me that includes Firestone, Continental, Toyo, Goodyear, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Michelin, Hankook, and probably a few others I can't think of off hand.
I agree.

My own observations and understanding through the years (and I'm not an expert) is that tire tiers are sometimes nebulous and change from time-to-time. They also can vary by the different categories of tires.

I've always considered the first-tier commercial (OTR, RV, urban, etc.) to be essentially Michelin, Goodyear, and Bridgestone are the three that inevitably through the years are considered top-tier. First-tier are considered the premium brands and typically will have the highest profit margins. Their advertising costs are the greatest compared to other brands.

Third tier tire brands are usually the ones manufactured by the Chinese-based companies and there are quite a few of them nowadays used by commercial truckers in the U.S. with good results ...not all are "china bombs."

Tier two tires are the "catch-all" category and the one where most brands that are not considered tier one or tier three tire brands will be categorized.

Attached is a recent study that lists tiers in each category ...again, just about every category will at least include Goodyear, Michelin and Bridgestone. Toyo and Yokohama are now being considered more and more in the top tier which in the past, wasn't always the case.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tire-Review-Tier-Study-QUALITY.pdf (457.7 KB, 42 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires