Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
wow looks like hardly anyone wants a diesel.
I don't think so it's probably the price I looked at a 2014 tour42QD very nice with a sticker of $391,222.00 almost pulled the trigger then I came to reality and said I don't need that nothing wrong with what I have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
That's why most will advise people to buy a unit that's at least 2 years old. most likely all the bugs have been worked out.
The bugs might all be worked out, but you don't know why it was traded in just 2 or 3 years. Was there some hidden problem? Personally, I would just as soon buy new and work the bugs out myself. We stopped buying used RVs 18 years ago. We just got tired of other peoples problems and dealing with their dirt. There is nothing like a brand new coach built the way you want it and not someone else's choice.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The bugs might all be worked out, but you don't know why it was traded in just 2 or 3 years. Was there some hidden problem? Personally, I would just as soon buy new and work the bugs out myself. We stopped buying used RVs 18 years ago. We just got tired of other peoples problems and dealing with their dirt. There is nothing like a brand new coach built the way you want it and not someone else's choice.

I totally agree. Unless you know the previous owner and trust his/her info, you just don't know if this 3 or 4 year old coach is a good one or not. We hear many stories here about defective and poorly built coaches that the owner just wants out of any way they can. IMHO, buying a used motor home is a crapshoot.

And for 89Sandman.... I wouldn't buy anything but a diesel. They are more solid, ride smoother, more power, better mpg, quieter.....

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
2-3 years old, at 50%= no brainer! Most issues with used coaches can be easily fixed by anyone who is mechanically inclined. A lot of people trade every 2-3 years to keep them in warranty, and because the can afford it. IMO let someone else take the hit of buying new, you will never have to sink equal money into a used coach to make it flawless.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes Dad View Post
2-3 years old, at 50%= no brainer! Most issues with used coaches can be easily fixed by anyone who is mechanically inclined. A lot of people trade every 2-3 years to keep them in warranty, and because the can afford it. IMO let someone else take the hit of buying new, you will never have to sink equal money into a used coach to make it flawless.
Keep in mind that when new, a coach can be purchased for 25-30% off retail, so 50% off at three years isn't as good of a deal as it sounds.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Keep in mind that when new, a coach can be purchased for 25-30% off retail, so 50% off at three years isn't as good of a deal as it sounds.
Especially, if there is a major problem the manufacturer would not adress during the one year warranty and the original owners got out.........but maybe what I consider major is not so major to someone else.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The biggest crap shoot is buying brand new. Suddenly you're a guinea pig for the manufacturer of your choice's experimentation. Sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't, and you're the one throwing the dice.

Buying used is also a crap shoot, but the odds are in your favor. Less money on the table, and you can recoup closer to what you paid if the deal is no good.

Many 2 or 3 years old vehicles are back on the lot because the original owners got tired of being the manufacturer's guinea pig. By the time the vehicle is back on the lot, most of the problems have been solved.

JMHO.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
The biggest crap shoot is buying brand new. Suddenly you're a guinea pig for the manufacturer of your choice's experimentation. Sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't, and you're the one throwing the dice.

Buying used is also a crap shoot, but the odds are in your favor. Less money on the table, and you can recoup closer to what you paid if the deal is no good.

Many 2 or 3 years old vehicles are back on the lot because the original owners got tired of being the manufacturer's guinea pig. By the time the vehicle is back on the lot, most of the problems have been solved.

JMHO.

Jim
I am lost trying to figure out your logic. How does buying a new proven motorhome with options I choose from a trusted dealer and manufacturer that is going to fix anything that needs it, make me a guinea pig?? What am I missing???
Old 04-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Here's the thing, every manufacturer has customers who can tell horror stories. On-line, there will probably tend to be the extremes of stories - good and bad. Moritm important is a good pre-deliver prep effort made by the dealer. After that, a supportive after sale service department are keys to a better experience. I'm sure every coach needs some form of attention, some could be worse.

I certainly hope that folks get their issues resolved, and can get their full enjoyment out of their investments.
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #24

Check out Newmar. The few issues we have had were minor and all were fixed relatively easily.

Ditto on buying slightly used. The vast majority of our issues cropped up in the first year and were taken care of under warranty. However, if the coach is, say, two years old and driven very little, there could still be issues yet to crop up that will be out of the one-year warranty period.

Ideally, the used coach should have been driven at least 8,000 miles or so.

Good luck.

Don
Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
The problem here is that you are getting lots of opinions and very little actual facts.

Buying new or buying used is a personal choice on a decision that only the buyer can make. Either way has its advantages and disadvantages.

Good luck in whatever choice you make.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I feel sorry for the person who bought my 18 month old, 5000 miles used RV from the dealer. I won't go into details but all of the 120 volt appliances and 1/2 of the 120 volt wiring had to be replaced. I left it at the dealer and bought the one I have now.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #27
HHg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
wow looks like hardly anyone wants a diesel.
Where in the world did you draw that conclusion from.....???

Hhg
Old 04-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #28
HHg

We have bought three brand spanking new units during our RV'ing years. All three were diesels. Two of them were and are SUPERB units.....the FourWinds/Thor Serrano was a POS!! I like my odds.

Hhg

Tags
purchase