Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

Happy vs. unhappy purchasers vs. units sold

As a potential MH buyer I'm always looking at the all the problems I read about and wonder how prevalent these problems are.

FYI, if the motorhome you like comes from a publicly traded company, you can get information straith from their web site (this is a Winebago presentation).
Winnebago Industries - Company - Investor Relations - Investor Presentations

So for example, as of Nov 2013 Winebago sold:
1382 Class A gas
521 Classs A diesel
317 B's
1314 C's.

They show headcount over the last several years as well. A friend of mine bought another manufacturer and was told by repair folks that there were a lot of new people at the factory ... making mistakes!

You can also see that the manfacturers don't appear to be ripping people off, margins are fairly thin. (IMO)

Just info I never thought of to look at before, hopefully someone enjoys!

I'll have to look up Thor sometime.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Don't think any manufacturer has a lock on "Quality", seems everyone has trouble from time to time. Last year Winnebago was putting out units so fast their problems increased.

Don't think manufacturers are your only worry. One of largest dealerships is sued to repossess their entire inventory, out of trust for $35 Million.

GECDF sues McMahon’s RV, seeks all inventory | RV Daily Report | Breaking RV Industry News and Campground Information

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #3

I would guess the "other manufacturer who had a lot of new people" would be Tiffin / Allegro.
We bought a new 2013 36LA model in April of 2013. Have been able to use it 8 months - the rest of the time in repair facilities for door leaks, trim issues, windshield washer, heater vents not connected...the list goes on. I had 3 typed pages, 23 items to repair while under warranty. Front door replaced once - still leaked. Front door replaced again, impossible to close and lock deadbolt. Currently in Tiffin approved repair facility for 3rd door replacement. This was our "practice" motorhome before retiring and going full time in a DP unit. I can honestly say at this point, with my quality control issues with Tiffin, my full time unit will DEFINITELY NOT BE A TIFFIN.
John777Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John777Cal View Post
I would guess the "other manufacturer who had a lot of new people" would be Tiffin / Allegro. We bought a new 2013 36LA model in April of 2013. Have been able to use it 8 months - the rest of the time in repair facilities for door leaks, trim issues, windshield washer, heater vents not connected...the list goes on. I had 3 typed pages, 23 items to repair while under warranty. Front door replaced once - still leaked. Front door replaced again, impossible to close and lock deadbolt. Currently in Tiffin approved repair facility for 3rd door replacement. This was our "practice" motorhome before retiring and going full time in a DP unit. I can honestly say at this point, with my quality control issues with Tiffin, my full time unit will DEFINITELY NOT BE A TIFFIN.
Husband and I are seriously considering trading our 2011 Georgetown for a 2013 tiffin Allegro 32CA or 30 GA because we are under impression Tiffin is a much better unit. Now I think we should stick with what we have--our Georgetown 28DS has been a good and comfortable unit. Thanks for the info on Tiffin.
Tijeras Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #5

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John777Cal View Post
I would guess the "other manufacturer who had a lot of new people" would be Tiffin / Allegro.
We bought a new 2013 36LA model in April of 2013. Have been able to use it 8 months - the rest of the time in repair facilities for door leaks, trim issues, windshield washer, heater vents not connected...the list goes on. I had 3 typed pages, 23 items to repair while under warranty. Front door replaced once - still leaked. Front door replaced again, impossible to close and lock deadbolt. Currently in Tiffin approved repair facility for 3rd door replacement. This was our "practice" motorhome before retiring and going full time in a DP unit. I can honestly say at this point, with my quality control issues with Tiffin, my full time unit will DEFINITELY NOT BE A TIFFIN.
Thanks for the post ... I have now crossed Tiffin off my list of used coaches to buy for my future full timing.

I'm running out of manufacturers to choose from
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Cool

I think you'll find problems with any make/model.... Some have more problems, some have less; even within the same make/model. I can't explain why one rv will have more or less problems than the rv rolling off the assembly line directly in front of or behind. It's all in the luck of the draw I guess.

Our previous Safari DP had some minor problems and one major problem and a couple moderate problems. The major problem was well known and documented but neither the dealer, nor the mfg (Monaco) provide any info to us prior to or during the sale. It came with the notorious RR4R chassis but fortunately for us, our extended service contract paid for the entire repair/replacement of the defective trailing arms.

All other problems were minor/moderate and never really caused us any heartache except for the non-tightened nut on the battery cable/starter connection that created several starting problems until the problem was fixed, and a roof leak on the rear slide that was very difficult to locate.

Our new coach (see signature) has been almost error/problem free. The only defect was the passenger's seat belt wouldn't extend. Some cabinet doors didn't quite match up but a few turns on the adjustment screws with a phillips screwdriver fixed those. Granted we only have 4000 miles on it, but so far it's been relatively problem free.

So, the above poster had major problems with their Tiffin, and I have had basically none. What's the difference? Who knows.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
That's why most will advise people to buy a unit that's at least 2 years old. most likely all the bugs have been worked out.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
That's why most will advise people to buy a unit that's at least 2 years old. most likely all the bugs have been worked out.
Or you could just be buying someone else's problem(s).
Old 04-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #9

wow looks like hardly anyone wants a diesel.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Camp_Woof,
If you are looking for high quality, take a look a Newmar. During the downturn they kept only their best people. Now that things are improving, they will not increase production unless the "new" workers have spent a considerable amount of time with the experienced workers. I'm not saying Newmar is perfect, far from it. However, if you want a better chance at getting a coach with fewer than average problems, give Newmar a look. They are at Luxury Motorhomes, RVs, and More | Newmar
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Real Quality

I know most of you folks are talking about newer motor homes but with my limited budget if I wanted to live the dream I had to shop for older units.
I have been window shopping for years just dreaming of winning power ball so I could make it happen. As luck would have it I found one bought it rite and just love it. Every time I look at something else on this rig I am blown away by the quality and attention to every detail. Only the best quality materials no press board any where in this rig. I feel like I am in a custom home not a motor home. The rig I bought and would buy again because any other rig that I have seen would be disappointing is my 1995 custom coach concept. I got so lucky stumbling onto this rig!
Hondalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #12

We are on our third Tiffin and each one was better than the one before. First was a 2003 Phaeton that we had for eight years. Very few issues and none that our dealer couldn't handle. Traded for a 2011 to get four slides and then looked at the 43' Allegro Bus. We bought it one year ago and couldn't be happier. Very quiet, smooth ride and only minor problems. I took care of some and the dealer did the rest. We did not like the Villa sleeper/sofa and replaced it with a double recliner. Tiffin has been a great company to deal with.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #13

After almost 3 years - my Newmar is Better than it was when new.... as has been noted, the bugs are worked out. Norcold safety box DOA, Splendide Washer/Dryer DOA, cargo door latch broke, rear A/C failed / replaced etc. All fixed. Plus it now has Magne Shades, wheel covers and an in-motion satellite dome. Like I said - better than new.

Point is, I think there's a lot of wisdom in buying a 2-3 year old coach vs new; The bugs have been worked out by someone other than you.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
As we can see here, EVERY manufacturer has had problems. Tiffin is a great manufacturer with MANY loyal owners. I have to agree however that buying a 2 to 3 year old coach may be the best way to go. Most of the problems discussed here were those problems that crop up during the first couple years.

I have friends that own an American Coach Heritage that is several years old (6 or 7) and just spent $6000 on various repairs. This is an $800K+ coach when new!

I would NEVER cross Tiffin off my list. There are many more pleased owners than owners not pleased with their coaches. You have to understand the adage that "A squeaky wheel gets greased". We generally only hear of those having problems. The many owners having no problems do not generally post that info.

All manufacturers have problems. Unfortunately that is what happens with complex systems. Heck, I used to work on multi-million dollar systems for jet aircraft, and guess what, they also have many problems. The more complex the system, the more problems will occur.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase