Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Hard freeze in Florida

New to RVing and live in NE Florida. Natl Weather Service calling for a hard freeze tonight (27 degrees for 2 hours or more). I must be away for the next 20 hours. I am hooked to shore power and wonder if leaving furnace on low of 50 degrees would be enough to prevent freezing damage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I feel bad calling 27 degrees a hard freeze after reading what others go through.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #2

I live in Northwest Indiana. I had my Pace Arrow outside one night and it dropped to 25 with no heater on in the coach and never had a problem. I didn't intentionally do it that way, the guys at work couldn't fit it back into the warehouse.
You'll have the heat on 50 which is more than enough to prevent any freezing damage in my opinion.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #3

Thats what I had mine on last night in Tallahassee, I have had no problems in a few years ,except a garden hose that froze.

Wayne
Tallahassee ,Florida
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
hard freeze requires more than a couple hours. Being as your location is within a mile of the 60 degree Atlantic ocean.. I wouldnt concern myself with winterizing.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should be fine with it set at that temp. I see we're going to be cold again tonite but then some milder weather for the rest of the week. HOOOORAY!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

John, it may only get to 27* for two hours and that is not going to cause problems UNLESS it has been sitting in the low 30's for some time to cool things down. For ease of mind I would turn your furnace on at that low temp of 50* so you can sleep well at night. Make sure your water system is not pressurized so if anything freezes it has room to expand. There should be a low point drain on the plumbing system somewhere that will drain water out of the pump and other basement pipes.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #7

I am in cold weather. It drops into the teens at night. I leave my furnace set to 50 degrees over night and all is fine
Old 02-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #8

I forgot to turn off the water and take my water pressure regulator inside once under similar conditions and my regulator cracked. We learn by mistakes.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I know this post is a few days old, but for future reference. Always leave cabinet doors open under sinks. Let's warmed air in to circulate around the plumbing.

JoAnn
Old 02-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #10

I know a lot of people up here in eastern Oregon that leave their TT hooked up and put small electric heaters in side. They open the cabinet doors around any thing that has plumbing in it. lets more warm air get in there to protect the pipes
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #11

There is no such thing as a hard freeze in Florida unless you are talking about your wife passing 60.

Tags
florida