Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

Hard to See TV Location

I know this may sound odd to some but I am trying to figure out why most Class A RV's have such an odd TV location. The sofa typically faces the kitchen counter top and the TV is far to the left past the dinette. How do most people deal with this? I would not be a huge deal but we plan on full timing it for a few tears. We want the convenience of the Class A but 5th Wheels seem to have more livable layouts. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
5th wheels usually have their living rooms in the back where there is ample space for couches, love seats, recliners to be placed around a fireplace with large TV. In the back of MH's is the master bedroom which forces mfgs to configure livingrooms up front with the kitchen and dining area. Now trying to add the TV becomes an ergonomic problem to keep people from having to turn their heads 90 degrees. Some MH's have an "L" shaped couch with a small part of the "L" facing the TV straight on and others have added TV's all around the front living area. But, your right, 5th wheels have a distinct advantage by placing their living room area in the back.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Agreed

The Mrs. and I went to a RV show a month ago and looked at a lot of class "A"'s with some very odd layouts. I know the companies have to mix it up to be different and to appeal to the masses but some just were not user friendly. I also want to see more DP with side entry doors. Who the heck want's to carry all your food and groceries thru a front entry door half way thru the coach to the kitchen.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #4

Doesn't take much looking at RV's to realize that "Pretty" gets in the way of practical a lot more than it should. All motor home floor plan designers should be be forced to live a week in their creations. Then there'd be some great innovations offered. I realize that certain things appeal differently to different folks, but it doesn't take long to find the real boo-boo's when you look.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhuff8181 View Post
I know this may sound odd to some but I am trying to figure out why most Class A RV's have such an odd TV location.
Not an odd question at all - when we went full-timing a "must have" was a TV at eye level across from the couch. That narrowed out at least 90% of the coaches but there are some that have good entertainment setups. Just keep going through the brochures and looking for L-shaped couches or TV's that are in an entertainment style center.

Good luck.

PS An added bonus of this setup is that it makes you motorhome feel more like a "home" than a RV, which is something we really wanted.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Keep looking. You will find one with the floor plan you like.
I bought mine because it had a small couch across from the big couch.
I took the small couch out and inserted a entertainment center that has a 46" LED on it. works for me.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #7

It's all about trade off's on interiors of RV's - and of course, opinions do vary on what is the best!

As mentioned, Winnie made a few models with a front kitchen mid coach sitting area, with the TV right across from the sitting area. Couch or two chairs options were available.

Rexhall is another brand that for years has had layouts that included eye level TV's, usually behind the passenger seat.

You don't mention if it is a new or old rig you are looking for? If old, doing a remodel is one way to go on making the coach the way you want it!

Best of luck on your hunt,
Smitty
Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #8

I thought the over-the-dashboard location of the TV in our National 34' rig was a pretty poor location. When I replaced the old tube set with an LCD, I made a quick disconnect mount so I could put it in a better location.

When we drive or have short stays, I leave the LCD safely secured above the dash where the old tube TV was. It works well for our viewing in that spot much of the time. When we want to have a movie night sitting on the couch I move the TV above the entry door, directly across from the couch. The viewing angle is better and there is still plenty of head clearance to enter and exit. I don't leave it there when we drive, because it is not as well secured as the dashboard mount.

The TV is mounted to a plywood panel sized to cover the old CRT hole. It attaches with the same style hinges that the other overhead cabinets use. I tapped out the fixed hinge pins on the hinges and installed quick release latch pins (look like big bobby pins). When I want to move the TV, I pull the latch pins and hang the TV with its attached plywood panel above the door. The ply wood panel has a couple hooks on the back to hang on the wood magazine rail located there. I ran an extra power cord and HDMI cable to the door location that stays there all the time.

All in all, a very easy conversion and works well for us.
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #9

I believe the location of tv's was suggested by a chiropractor, so he could realign your neck after having to turn it to watch. I took mine from over the dash and bulit a cabinet across from the couch. The 42" HDTV is mounted on a lift so it stores inside the cabinet when traveling. We removed the couch and put in two LazBoy recliners for watching. We then put a sleeper loveseat in front of the tv cabinet. The cabinet only protrudes 6" from the wall so it doesn't take hardly any space at all, and the tv rises up from behind it. This wasn't my idea, I got it from this web site when others posted what they had done. It sure makes the coach much more livable. I'm seeing more & more new coach's with this modification, but you will be hard put to find an older used one with it.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #10

First off I hope your full timing is filled with few tears. Lol
Right after purchasing my RV the flat screen was one of the first modifications and the layout didn't really allow for a better location. I did however tilt it down more. It seems fine especially when lying on the couch or j couch but yes when 4 or 5 people are watching, forcing us to all sit upright facing each other its not comfortable.
I do see a lot of new models moving the TV to a wall over a fireplace or in the wall between the dining table and wall.
I agree tho designers should stay a week our so in their creations our at least survey full time folks about the items that people consider good and badly designed.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Look at the floor plan for a 2012 Winnebago Journey 40U and see if you like it. There are a few others that build a similar plan but this is the one I have and it takes care of that issue just fine.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Doesn't take much looking at RV's to realize that "Pretty" gets in the way of practical a lot more than it should. All motor home floor plan designers should be be forced to live a week in their creations. Then there'd be some great innovations offered. I realize that certain things appeal differently to different folks, but it doesn't take long to find the real boo-boo's when you look.
I agree 100% also before one can become a "designer or engineer" They should have to work in a repair facility for a year or so to have to put up with the crappy designs these guys come up with and have to remove some of these parts from some of the most ungodly places.This goes for both moho's and auromobiles.. Example: Cadillacs with the Northstar System
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Keep looking. You will find one with the floor plan you like.
I bought mine because it had a small couch across from the big couch.
I took the small couch out and inserted a entertainment center that has a 46" LED on it. works for me.

Good job Triker I like it
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
I agree 100% also before one can become a "designer or engineer" They should have to work in a repair facility for a year or so to have to put up with the crappy designs these guys come up with and have to remove some of these parts from some of the most ungodly places.This goes for both moho's and auromobiles.. Example: Cadillacs with the Northstar System
I agree and not being defensive here because I think the auto industry designs cars in reverse. I work in the global engine group at Ford Motor Co. and I work on my own cars. So its frustrating when three things need to be removed to replace one part. However the car is designed first then engine is typically made to fit the package. So an engine thats already in production is modified to fit. Making for horrible designs.
I think the RV industry falls into that same pitfall if tyring to use existing products ie couches or cabinets, without designing for the space available. Imo.

Tags
cat