Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hard Water

I'm new at this:
How do you handle the water difference that you encounter while traveling? Like water filters and or softeners systems. Also at the beginning of the cold weather here in NEPA I had the motor home water system winterized what do I need to do before we start out this spring to the system. Also who do you keep the water fresh in the tank or do I drain it when not in use. Thanks For the Help
bounder-andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Andy. We full time and travel a lot. We spend a lot of time in the desert so hard water is a real problem.

We use the OEM particulate filter hard mounted in the plumbing bay... a charcoal filter under the kitchen sink for the ice maker, drinking water dispenser and instant boiling water dispenser. We also use a TravelSoft water softener.

In spite of all of this, we (and our dogs) only drink bottled spring water. We found that this helps prevent "tummy problems" for all of us. We use the instant boiling water for instant coffee and sometimes soup but otherwise it's spring water.

As for keeping the water in your tank fresh, you should probably do a good sanitizing at least once per year and if you fill your tank with cholinated city water you probably won't have much of a problem. If it's well water however I think you'll have to take more precautions.

Someone will join in on winterization processes but as long as my coach has wheels on it I plan to avoid learning about that stuff.

Good Luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We are fairly new at this as well. So far we have faired well with a water filter we picked up at Camping World, attached to the CG's water faucet and we also have an under the counter filter at the 'drinking water' faucet. No hard water deposits as of now(a year of heavy use). We change the hose filter going into the fresh water tank every 3 months and the one under the sink every 6 months.

After removing the filter under the sink and installing a bypass blank, we sanitize the fresh water system with bleach an let sit for 8 hours before flushing the system twice. We have done that twice in the last year.

If we run into a particularly bad water source, we change the incoming hose filter and add about 6 oz. of hydrogen peroxide to our 60 gal tank. Over cautious, maybe, but we've not gotten sick over our water consumption. YMMV. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #4

We travel extensivly and use a whole house Reverse Osmosis system. Prior to installing it, we had mineral deposit problems. Faucets were leaking, clothes were not as soft as they could be, dishwasher was getting cloudy, ice cubes were cloudy and much of the water in some areas (SW) was not good tasting. RO change all that. All the water we use is RO water from the fresh water tank.
We no longer buy drinking water and mineral deposits are no longer a problem. I sanitize my fresh water tank twice a year

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
To de-winterize the coach. connect to a fresh water supply and make certain all low point drain valves are closed. Run water through each hot and cold faucet until any pink antifreeze is cleared. Once all faucets are running clear water, find the water heater and install the drain plug or anode rod. Find the by-pass valve and change it to "normal" use position. Open a hot water faucet valve and fill the water heater tank. Make certain the ice maker (if you have one) is also purged of antifreeze before putting it into operation. Let us know if you have an ice maker and/or water dispenser for information on the various means to de-winterize these.
I would highly recommend you install a water softener for all water coming into the coach. Then install filters if you want better tasting water for ice, coffee, tea. Good luck and enjoy!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
RV Wizard: Yes we have an ice maker in the Refg. I installed a water dispenser after the MH was winterized. And YES we are looking into a water softener also a water filter to use before the water goes into the MH. I know this might be a new post but I was planing on doing the Filter/softener in this order. Water coming into the MH would pass through the filter than the water softener. Is that correct. I forgot to mention we also have a dishwasher and washer/dryer combo.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You will need to activate the ice maker water valve (use correct power source identified on solenoid coil) with the discharge line off valve. A towel or temporary tube can be used under the valve to keep water from getting on the floor the refrigerator is standing on. Once the antifreeze is cleared, re-connect the line to the ice maker and you are ready to go. Run hot & cold water into the washer until clear water is flowing into the dispenser. Run a rinse cycle through the dishwasher. If no antifreeze has be run through the water dispenser, there is no need to flush it.
I would only use a pre-filter before the water softener and a post filter after it if you need to.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Andy,
We drink only bottled water. Don't trust water sources other than home.

When sanitizing your tank with a bleach and water combination, don't fill the tank all the way full. Take it out for a drive and the water sloshing around inside will give you a better cleaning.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
RV Wizard: What type of filters are used for a pre-filter and a post filter when you use a water softener. I would have thought you would only need a pre-filter.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
A pre-filter would be coarser filter that would catch sand and so forth from a park that had their own well. A post filter would be something like a charcoal filter for removing chlorine for ice maker or water dispenser.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #11

Here are a couple of sources for you:

rv water filters, rv water regulators, rv water pumps, rv water softeners, rv water hose

www.vagabondwater.com - Shopping Cart
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote