Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #1

Hardwood Flooring

We currently have 12"X12" porcelain tiles in our motorhome. A lot of them are becoming loose and we have a few cracked ones as well. I think it's time for replacements of some kind. We are thinking of replacing them with wood looking tiles that are 6"X 24" and gluing them down. I think the ones I have now didn't bond very well from poor installation procedures.
Another thought is to install real walnut hardwood and plane it down to the same thickness as the tile that I currently have so I don't have any clearance issues with the slides. I know engineered hardwood is what is probably recommended but it probably can't be planed down. Has anyone installed real hardwood in a motorhome and how did it last? Maybe I would have the clearance to install it as it is, I'm not sure. I would probably save quite a bit of weight by replacing the tile with wood. Any thoughts?
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 01:04 AM   #2

I've read from those who do this too use engineered wood. It's more stable and won't warp if it gets wet. If you are lucky Ernie will chime in. He does this for a living [emoji12]
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:23 AM   #3

Go to the top of this page and type "installing wood flooring", in the green search box. Be sure the irv2.com button is selected, and click "search". You'll find hundreds of posts and answers there.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
UncleBilly is correct about engineered wood. It is dimensionally stable, and won't have any issues with slides. If you have some tiles that are loose, probably best to take them all up as it sounds that the installation was inferior
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
UncleBilly is correct about engineered wood. It is dimensionally stable, and won't have any issues with slides. If you have some tiles that are loose, probably best to take them all up as it sounds that the installation was inferior

The plan is to remove all the existing tiles as it seems as though they didn't bond very well to the subfloor. I only have maybe 1/4 - 3/8" clearance on my living room slide with the porcelain tiles that I currently have so I think I might have to stay with porcelain tiles in order to keep some clearance when opening and closing the slides. If I installed engineered wood I wouldn't have any clearance left for the slide. From what I checked engineered wood is 3/4" thick. May have to replace with porcelain tiles to maintain clearance. Is there a product that you would recommend I use to stick the new porcelain tiles down with?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Hardwood Flooring

Engineered hardwood is closer to 3/8" thick on most brands.

Since you already have lifted tiles you may want to see if there is another layer of subfloor under the tiles.
Here is what was under the vinyl tiles. Prior to our coach having the vinyl tiles there was ceramic and it was installed on top of same thinner subfloor. I removed and installed the 3/8" engineered hardwood with new floor being slightly lower which worked great with the floor protectors.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2273.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	162536
Old 05-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #7

Canada maybe different than here in the USA. You may have thicker wood, but all the engineered wood I have had contact with comes from 3/8 to 5/8 in thickness. 3/4 full thickness wood is too thick to install in a coach and besides it is not dimensionally stable. I didn't see what coach you have
Old 05-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #8
TR4

I agree with Ernie. 3/4" is usually solid flooring. I installed 5/8" engineered flooring, 3/8" and 1/2" are more common.

Your tiles might be cracking and coming up due to movement in the subfloor. Wood flooring will have more flex.

Bill
Old 05-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #9

Yes we did more checking and it looks like it comes in 12mm which is 1/2" so looks like I will be fine with it. Will be able to shed a lot of weight replacing the tiles with engineered. Just have to find one that we like now.
So my understanding is that I should glue the engineered floor down to the subfloor, is that right? I don't really like floors that sound hollow underneath.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #10

I don't like the cheap hollow feeling of the floating stuff. Adhere it with urethane adhesive and make sure your temps are within the parameters of the adhesive manufacturer.
Tiles weigh 5 pounds per square foot or more considering the mastic and any underlayment. Your coaches' suspension will be happy
Old 05-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #11

Engineered floor it is, thanks for everyone's response.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #12

FWIW, I have a 2003 FW with Bruce real hardwood flooring that still looks as new. This is on the kitchen and living areas, main level. Dave
shepfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:15 AM   #13

engineered wood is real wood
Old 05-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #14

It looks as though the interior walls are built on top of the porcelain tiles. How do you cut the tiles so close to the walls to remove them or how is it usually done? I did find some engineered floor that we like and it is 3/8" thick, just slightly thicker than the tile I'm replacing.

Tags
floor