Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Hardwoods in Cockpit

We just purchased a 2003 Newmar Kountry Star with hardwoods throughout, including the cockpit. Problem is, previous owner did not install hardwoods under gas and brake pedals, leaving an ugly black "hole" that DW wants covered up. I'm told we can't put hardwoods there because there is no flat floor to glue the hardwoods to. Has anyone had success cutting a good looking floor mat and placing it under the pedals? My cousin said pedals are bolted and could be taken off to put a mat down, but I'm not sure that is possible. Anybody know? Any ideas and suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit floor.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	629.5 KB
ID:	43136

Bill and Ruth
2003 Newmar KSDP 3703
TOAD 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee
MissMyGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
You could make a wood cover that has holes for the pedals or use carpet, depends on your skills.

Problem with both is binding and dirt.

Clearance to insure good movement without binding up, then avoiding shoe dirt scraping off shoes on pedals filling up the space.

You may be able to lift both and place floor in place and install on top.

Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MissMyGolden..... I also have a wood floor installed by the previous owner. In my case he was able to run the wood right up to the front wall because in my DS the pedals are both suspended.

I believe your floor is like mine, and I think there's a solution for you. This floor material is not solid hardwood. It is called "engineered flooring", with a thin hardwood veneer laminated onto a different grained wood base. The strips are typically about 3/8 in thick, and are usually laid down without adhesive. They snap together on end and side, and are laid on top of a thin foam sheet underlayment that prevents sliding. This is called a floating floor, and is used in many locations where floors are not truly flat, or on floors that are subject to movement or wracking-- i.e., a motorhome!

The good news is this. I notice several joints in the wood pieces right in front of the seat. If you can determine that the pedals can be raised (and my guess is that they can be), then you can lift up some of the pieces that run from the driver's seat forward and reinstall new pieces that will span the area of the pedals. Then just reattach the pedals (and their linkage, if necessary), and you're back in business. If you're not comfortable with the carpentry involved, I assure you this would be not at all difficult for anyone who works with flooring. I'm sure you can find someone.

Keep us posted!
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
I took a 18 X 18 black rubber mat made nice surgical L shaped cuts and you fold the flap back slide around the pedals and there is a small slit behind that you can not see. You can vac and then remove to wash the crud off.

Sheri & Don 2003 Dynasty 42" regal ISL 400
2007 Goldwing Trike Gmc 4X4 w/ autoloader for trike
Lets go we got it all loaded.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
I don't believe that you can raise either of the pedals. The brake valves are usually attached under the brake pedal.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote