Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #15

I have been thinking of ways to haul my Harley's also. I would not need to take the bike and the toad at the same time all the time, but if I did want to any suggestions on a trailer size. It would be for a Jeep wrangler unlimited and 2 Ultras.

I have been meaning to go look at trailers and see what I would need but have not done so yet. I was thinking a 24' or 26' would do, not sure if a V nose trailer would be better or not.

Anyone have this setup?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
You diffently will need a diesel pusher class A to haul that heavy of a bike. I have an 05 vectra diesel with a hydrolift installed on the back and it carrys my electra glide with no problems. Acutally I was heading to Alaska with out the bike and was rear ended by a pickup truck and the hydrolift took the brunt of the damage and I was able to complete our trip to Alaska and safly back to Florida

Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a 24' V nose enclosed trailer on (2) 7000lb torsion axles. I had a side ramp door on curb side installed and a rear ramp door reinforced on the rear. I can put my Road Glide in sideways up front and any of my vehicles up to my Escalade ESV. I prefer not to take the Escalade ESV with the bike as it is a little tight in the trailer.

Leaving for Sturgis July 31 with 2 Ultra Classics and my Road Glide, will have all bikes staggered just as a precaution.

Problem is everything has its pros and cons, I would encourage you to make a list and attempt to make a decision on which method works best for you and your circumstances.

One other note on 24' vs 26', which I struggled with 20-26', I have 42' Motorhome, 24' trailer makes turning tight many times, including our local Wal Mart where I usually park it overnight to load and unload before we take trips due to low trees in my neighborhood, a 26' would make it even longer so I am not sure I would want to do that unless I needed the extra length to accommodate my situation inside the trailer.

I would encourage anyone going with trailer to use a minimum of 3 pieces of 'E' Track running the length of trailer and minimum 6 'D' rings in the floor.

For example, before I spent $5k+ on a tow dolly, I would compare costs for an Alumna Trailer with side ramp and rear ramp, would you be able to have the trailer modified to accommodate the boat and then maybe some removable ramps for an auto hauler? Good luck on resolving your issue!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I have a 24' V nose enclosed trailer on (2) 7000lb torsion axles. I had a side ramp door on curb side installed and a rear ramp door reinforced on the rear. I can put my Road Glide in sideways up front and any of my vehicles up to my Escalade ESV. I prefer not to take the Escalade ESV with the bike as it is a little tight in the trailer.

Leaving for Sturgis July 31 with 2 Ultra Classics and my Road Glide, will have all bikes staggered just as a precaution.

Problem is everything has its pros and cons, I would encourage you to make a list and attempt to make a decision on which method works best for you and your circumstances.

One other note on 24' vs 26', which I struggled with 20-26', I have 42' Motorhome, 24' trailer makes turning tight many times, including our local Wal Mart where I usually park it overnight to load and unload before we take trips due to low trees in my neighborhood, a 26' would make it even longer so I am not sure I would want to do that unless I needed the extra length to accommodate my situation inside the trailer.

I would encourage anyone going with trailer to use a minimum of 3 pieces of 'E' Track running the length of trailer and minimum 6 'D' rings in the floor.

For example, before I spent $5k+ on a tow dolly, I would compare costs for an Alumna Trailer with side ramp and rear ramp, would you be able to have the trailer modified to accommodate the boat and then maybe some removable ramps for an auto hauler? Good luck on resolving your issue!
Thanks for your insight. Have fun at Sturgis.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #19

I just started looking myself. I might just buy a pick up and this:
E-Power Lift (6.5' to 8.0') - **** *** *** *** E-Power Motorcycle Lifts - * * * * * * * * * Compact Version
Old 07-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Would you please post a pic of your modified tow dolly? Considering doing that to haul my bike and car behind my gasser.
Here is one of the modifications up close. The small platform is the ramp which hooks on the end of the bike platform. Very stable and my 33 ft Pace Arrow handles it fine. Very little flexing of the frame. The tongue was extended 4 ft and a very heavy sleeve welded in. I do plan on putting either expanded metal or plate on this summer and have it sandblasted and painted black..

m/user/Joelinda2470/media/080_zps65193199.jpg.html][/URL]
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=pddgm;1645696]Here is one of the modifications up close. The small platform is the ramp which hooks on the end of the bike platform. Very stable and my 33 ft Pace Arrow handles it fine. Very little flexing of the frame. The tongue was extended 4 ft and a very heavy sleeve welded in. I do plan on putting either expanded metal or plate on this summer and have it sandblasted and painted black..

Thanks, I'm going to check in to having my tow dolly modified the same way.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #22

[QUOTE=cenfl;1646005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
Here is one of the modifications up close. The small platform is the ramp which hooks on the end of the bike platform. Very stable and my 33 ft Pace Arrow handles it fine. Very little flexing of the frame. The tongue was extended 4 ft and a very heavy sleeve welded in. I do plan on putting either expanded metal or plate on this summer and have it sandblasted and painted black..

Thanks, I'm going to check in to having my tow dolly modified the same way.
Just be sure that the sleeve they put in the tongue, the one in mine is real thick walled(3/8 or 1/2 in). I am extremely happy with mine and with all I did to it(new tires and wheels and all the welding)just have 1400.00 total cost.
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Towing

Few year back we were traveling down the highway and saw a Electric Glide Classic along the highway all tore up...but not one person was near it...stopped and looked...moved the bike off the side ....headed down the road and there was an RV along the road with one of those hitch mounted units half broken off...informed him his 20K motorcycle was about 2 miles back and really tore up...

Went back with him and loaded it in my trailer and took it with him to a U haul store where he rented a open trailer.

I will never ever use one of those..

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome and trailer.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	42638  
Old 07-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighamstoy View Post
I have an Electra Glide Ultra Classic (900ish pounds) and was wondering if there were any non toy hauler class A motorhomes that would handle a set-up where the bike was "mounted" on the back with a lift. We have a toy hauler now, but some day want to get a Class A that could haul the Harley on the back AND pull an 18' boat at the same time. Too much to ask for a non toy hauler Class A?

Here is a setup I saw in TX.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #25

It makes a heavy and damned expensive back bumper. A lighter bike (maybe a new Triumph Bonneville or a restored classic Norton Commando) would still be an expensive bumper, but a lot easier to manage.

As I'm an ex-Norton-Villiers engineer, my preference would be easy to guess.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Here's Blue Ox's weight load and weight transfer calculator.

It would be applicable with any brand of lift.

http://www.blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/c...alculation.pdf

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Overbilt is the best way to go. I carry my ultra classic and tow our tahoe. We are going on 4 years now without any problems.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Ford F-150 4x4 w/ 8 ft bed. Gives you the 4 wheel drive to get off road to some degree. Ultra classic fits in with about a quarter of an inch to spare (using the Harley front parking bracket).

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote