Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

Harley on the back?

I have an Electra Glide Ultra Classic (900ish pounds) and was wondering if there were any non toy hauler class A motorhomes that would handle a set-up where the bike was "mounted" on the back with a lift. We have a toy hauler now, but some day want to get a Class A that could haul the Harley on the back AND pull an 18' boat at the same time. Too much to ask for a non toy hauler Class A?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #2

There are several devices out there. Some work, some do not, some don't last. , If it were me, I would modify a trailer to haul both. Harley cross ways of course.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

Thought about that too. Seems if it is cool enough to ride the Harley, chances are you won't be taking the boat. Wife doesn't agree, but she would go on the boat in a snow storm....
Old 07-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Do a search on motorcycle lifts and you'll find several extensive discussions of the various lifts and how they work. You'll probably end up looking at Blue Ox or Mightyhauler, and a third I can't remember the name. For a 700lb bike it wwill require a three point connection. That means either creating bolt holes plus the hitch, or welding on the frame. Either way, make sure you don't screw up your warrantee doing so.I found mine suggested I had to get permission (in other words run it by) from the manufacturer to avoid voiding the warrantee. Would they enforce it, probably not, unless you had a chassis problem that could be attributed to the extra weight on the back end.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #5

Get a diesel pusher with a tag axle, and you should not have any problems weight-wise. We have a Cruiserlift for our coach, it holds 1000 pounds. Another is the Hydralift.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #6

I did some research and came to the conclusion that the m/h's that I could afford, would not support the bike and lift. I saw a 32 ft Winny with a lift and a Kawasaki touring bike mounted on it, asked the owner and he said it worked fine and did effect the handling of the m/h. I too have a Ultra and checked on the hydralift, and just couldn't justify spending 3-5000 for the lift and install. I own a gas rig, so I just had a tow dolly modified to haul the bike and car and only spent a total of 1400.00
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Have to say that the cost of the Hydralift (couldn't remember the name, but the one I liked best) was what turned me off as well. Best I could find installed was over $5500.

That's why I ended up going with a 4 wheel drive PU with 8 ft bed. MC squeezes into a HD front wheel bracket and has about 3/8 in clearance overall. Plus, I get the 4 wheel ability when I want it (like in Big Bend NP on some of the back roads).

I don't know there is a best solution...just have to go with what fits your lifestyle.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
A friend of mine hauled his Heritage Classic (Under 800 lbs) on a Cruiserlift that cost him almost $4000, not installed. His coach is an 03 Neptune. Scared him to death and he's a truck driver/farmer.

I have an 07 Ultra. It weighs 875 Empty and it's worth $25K. I owned a trailer manufacturing/steel fab business/hitch shop for almost 30 years. No way my Ultra is hanging off the back of my Endeavor, or any other MH, no matter how many axles are in the back.

Put a trailer behind that? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Did you even think about the poor guy behind you?
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
I did some research and came to the conclusion that the m/h's that I could afford, would not support the bike and lift. I saw a 32 ft Winny with a lift and a Kawasaki touring bike mounted on it, asked the owner and he said it worked fine and did effect the handling of the m/h. I too have a Ultra and checked on the hydralift, and just couldn't justify spending 3-5000 for the lift and install. I own a gas rig, so I just had a tow dolly modified to haul the bike and car and only spent a total of 1400.00
Would you please post a pic of your modified tow dolly? Considering doing that to haul my bike and car behind my gasser.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #10

Check out these guys, I would think something like this could be adapted to pull your boat or you car. Worth a call.
RV Towing Accessories | Tow Dollies, Tandem Tow Trailers, Tow Bars
Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpnc View Post
Check out these guys, I would think something like this could be adapted to pull your boat or you car. Worth a call.
RV Towing Accessories | Tow Dollies, Tandem Tow Trailers, Tow Bars
Thanks for the suggestion and these will definitely do the job. However, they cost $5K plus. If I was looking to spend that much, I would opt for an aluminum trailer.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Can't tell where you are located as I'm on my phone but Overbilt Lifts just south of Albany NY also makes mc lifts. I visited the shop after purchasing our 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 32' gasser in May & Art quoted my a price of about $3500 installed. Just need some ot shifts to come my way to pay for it. Have a Road King of 750 lbs I'll be carrying. Google them - they have a good website. Good luck & enjoy.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Bighamstoy-

You definitley aren't going to hang an Ultra off the back of a Class A gasser. To make a long story short, we are planning on reducing down to one Streetglide and tow a car with our 34' gasser, so we need to eliminate the enclosed trailer.

The only option I see for me, is either a trailer or tow dolly that can handle both. In your case with a boat, you would need a tow dolly that handled the bike and pull whatever behind it. I don't know yet if these exist. Another option could be to extend, strengthen and modify the boat trailer tongue to acommodate the Ultra, then use a standard tow dolly. Other than that, a Class A toy hauler :-(
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Thanks for the suggestion and these will definitely do the job. However, they cost $5K plus. If I was looking to spend that much, I would opt for an aluminum trailer.
I didn't even look at the cost!