Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #1

Harney coach works

Anyone know anything about Harney Coach Works RVs ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #2

Harney Coach Works was part of Safari, they quit making coaches a good while ago 2001 maybe. We looked as severial (used) they don't seem to hold up well, same issues as Safari's flat roof, fluid brakes, some will have Cat engines some have Detroit's. Body parts might be hard to find should you need them.

Bruce

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #3

I drove a Harney Coach Works Renegade built in Feb 1999 for 122, 000 plus miles over an eight year period. No major problems. Many units did have side panel delamination problems. We did not, but I checked all window and roof caulking twice a year.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #4

Thanks guys.
I had a further search . I found there have been issues with the Mountain Master frame , trailing arms cracking, in some cases breaking , all within the first 30000 miles.
Some people seem to have had satisfaction from the manufacturer. some havnt as they have gone out of bussiness.

Have you heard of the problem or was this another Magnum Chassis, nor the one used on the Harney.
They seem to be very good value???
Flat roof?? Has it really got a flat roof , that is a real issue.
As you may have gathered I am an Australian and we are coming over there for 2 years. We came over last year and bought a HR Rv and then resold it after 3 months.
This time we will own it for 2 years then resell it so dont want to be stuck with an odd ball!
Thanks for your input.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Our first RV was a 2001 Harney Renegade. Didn't last a year before I realized it was a nightmare - mechanical brakes, water leaks (internal & external) everywhere, poor handling just to name a few. Dumped it as fast as I could.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #6

For the most part they are not real common as older coaches go. If I where planning on a resale, I would purchase a coach from a company that is still around.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #7

Thanks guys.
If I dont ask!
I assume you mean Hydraulic brakes as opposed to air, be a bit rare on a diesel??
I have removed them from my list.
The old addage applies "if it seems too good to be true it probably is"
Old 01-25-2011, 04:52 AM   #8

If you are looking for a reasonably priced coach (diesel pusher) you might look at Damon Ultra Sports. Not real fancy but seem to be a good solid MH, for the $$$$$. You just need to stay away from propane generators, simply because they use fuel that hardest come by. Or have you ever thought about a 5th wheel and pickup? much less investment and you have a vehicle to get around in. The trailer might be a little hard to sell when you are done, if you buy it right you should be able to get rid of it quick, and a pick up priced right will always sell.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane View Post
If you are looking for a reasonably priced coach (diesel pusher) you might look at Damon Ultra Sports. Not real fancy but seem to be a good solid MH, for the $$$$$.
Interesting. My 2000 Damon Ultrasport has been bullet proof for ten years and counting. It fits the description well. I don't have statistics on other Ultrasports but I have not read about problems on forums. Some Damon products have had quality problems and difficulties with warranties in the past but Thor who bought Damon in 2001 seem to have recently turned this around. On an older unit a thorough inspection should tell if it is a good one or not. BTW I have a propane generator and it has been fine since I am not a big generator user. It saves me weight and initial cost.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #10

Smile

Thanks so much to all. I really appreciate your input.
I have been doing more research and find that this size MH will not qualify to tow a loaded 7000lb trailer.
So have reverted to a fifthwheeler and a 1Ton pickup as you suggest.
I have a F250 here in Auz which I imported from Canada it has the 5.4ltre gas engine which is gentle compared to an old 351.
I read a lot of really off putting press about the 6 litre diesel in the Ford, any comments? The web sites I have investigated have suggested the 2006-2007 6 litre had the problems fixed, I would like to be sure !!
The trailer 5th wheel Toy Hauler I have identified is a 14400lb gvw. I actually want to put a 550lb Moto Guzzi MC in the rv .
Dodges and Chevs seem to get more ticks . any comments?
I had a 460 Ford in the HR I had last year had no trouble with it, except it was either Australian or Irish as it loved a drink!
I was really just hoping to not need to drive a 1 ton truck around .
I had a tow dolly last year , not really a fan.
The other important consideration is when we go back to Auz ( as we have to do by law) I need to be able to lock the whold thing up and be sure it will be there in a month that is why the trailer.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Barrie
Old 01-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #11

Your Ford with the 5.4 might be a little weak to Tow that much. As always you should NEVER exciede you vehicles towing compacity as heartburn and problems will surely occur. I have a friend pulling a 38' 4 slide 5th wheel with a late model 4or 5 year old F350 (SRW single rear wheel) Deisel no complaints and 12 MPG, and shall we say he don't let any grass grow under him on the highway.
You do hear about issues with the 6.0 Fords, but then some people can have problems with any thing. I'm a GM man but if I where buying a PU to pull with it would be a dodge with a cummins they sure seem to get er done. You could also go with V10 ford or 8.1 gm they are both going to get around 7-10 loaded but they will pull. The bottom line is there is no PURFECT rv set up. Unless of course $$$$$ is no object then Provost bus conversion and double stack trailer would do the trick. good hunting.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #12

Hi Bruce.
$s are an issue as always , but with the price of your fuel, you guys are on a dreaam. We are currently paying $1.30 per litre for regular $1.40 a litre for diesel.
Thats about $4.90 US a US gallon for regular, and our $ is virtually the same as yours, I think when I am over there this cant go on, but it does.
I have been getting universal approval of the Dodge, some are saying the 5.9 is more economical,and they haul the best. We dont get big three pickups here, if you see the odd one they are private imports, farmers and ranchers all use Land Cruisers and have a permant appointment at the Chiropracters.
Thanks again for your advice , I will press on with my investigations.
Appreciate your input.
Barrie
Old 01-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #13

Morning Auzzi, the older 5.9 cummins are good stuff and pull well, but they noisy. The new 6.7's are much quiter and pull even better of course they are a bunch more $$$$. Yall's fuel prices are just nuts
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #14

Yes I know the fuel prices are nuts , but they are coming to a store near you, very soon. Unfortuneately
I thought the 5.9 sounded like a can full of marbles , but thought that woud go away when it got going, apparently not.
You think our fuel prices are nuts . A new Chev/Dodge / Ford 1 ton here converted to RH drive will cost 140-150000A$s the conversion costs about $32000, someone is making a serious $s.
Thanks again .
Barrie