Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #1

Harney diesel rvs

Any info on this type of class a rv? We are not familiar with it. Thanks,Jack
Jack Kazaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The Harney Coach Works went out of business in 2002 (or so). Monaco became their foster parent but never revived the line.

They were a piece of junk. Run, do not walk away from it.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #3

I would not say they are junk, but they are an entry level diesel. Several owners had delamination problems. We drove ours 128,000 miles. Averaged 9.8 miles per gallon. Zero trouble with Cat 3126B 300 hp engine. I did replace the MANA Block that allows any water line to be turned off with copper lines and brass valves due to valve stems breaking on the block valves. If you do not need to winterize that would not be a problem. Sold our 1999 Renegade in 2008 for $7,000 above NADA average retail.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #4

Hanrney was part of Safari coach. Looked at qutie a few of these, not one of Safari's best efforts. Unless I was getting WAY cheap I would Run away fast. All of the ones I looked at had delamanation problems and roof problems. There where realatively few of these coaches made and as older coaches go they will be hard to find parts for.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
drove one once. i did run away.
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #6

I'm looking at one too. And while all the above has me thinking "run", this unit seems to differ alot from most I'm seeing online. Is on a Spartan chassis, and has the aluminum body (not the delam-happy fiberglass), and the detroit 40 engine. Still has the fluid brakes though. Is this still a run away? Even at sub $30G? If not, anything that can be done to improve the brakes (aftermarket rotors & pads, braided lines... I'm new to trucks so that may be a stupid suggestion)? I've actually seen a photo of an air park button in a Harney once... aftermarket air brake package out there somewhere?
frEEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

$30G isn't all that cheap for a 10 year old coach that was a low end model to begin with.

A Spartan chassis? I thought the Harneys were all built on Safari's Magnum chassis?An an aluminum body like some of the Safari's had? What yer is it?

FWIW, the Detroit Series 40 engine is actually an International wearing DD colors.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #8

It is actually closer to 20, but by the time it gets new tires, glass, and I'm sure some other bits, it will probably end up at 30. It is cheap compared to what I'm seeing for both dealer and private listings, and well under NADA. However, virtually all I see is the Classic model with the Cat, so comparison is tough.

Yep, spartan chassis with Al body. Apparently there were about 30 units built early on (99 model, registration says 98 per the chassis year though) when the manufacturer got a great deal on a batch of Spartan chassis.

Is being an international a good or bad thing? Seller claims the engine is better and an upgrade, but I tend to doubt that since it is came on the cheaper non-classic model.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #9

beaver and safari used a lot of hydraulic over hydraulic and air over hydraulic brake systems. i have a 30' beaver DP with 4 wheel disc brakes and it stops fine. It didn't when I got it, and a couple of others I drove didn't either - but it's a linkage adjustment issue, not a capacity issue.

They do take more leg than air brakes - I just look at the difference between 4 wheel disc hydraulic and air drum as the difference between today's brake systems and the ones on old chryslers. The old ones would bring you to a screeching stop with an egg between your foot and the pedal - if that's the feel you like.

they use an air parking brake on the driveshaft
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #10

I've since seen at least one apparent expert claiming that hydraulic discs are actually superior in safety and maintenance/longevity. Good to hear you didn't have issues other than adjusting, thanks VanDiemen23, for the parking brake clarification too.

I also am wondering if anyone knows what kind of insulation value these things have? Dual pane windows would suggest they were decent, but I don't know if the windows were the only effort made to improve R value. Judging by the pics I have seen, while the basement is heated, it doesn't appear insulated well (if at all).
Old 12-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frEEk View Post
I've since seen at least one apparent expert claiming that hydraulic discs are actually superior in safety and maintenance/longevity.
As compared to what? If compared to cam type air brakes, I'll gladly argue that with you.

As for the insulation issue, I can't help on that one. I would question why the basement is heated if there's no insulation there. It would be like putting money in a jar with no bottom. Just MHO.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #12

As compared to air (with drums). I know nada about the issue, just was surprised to see someone argue FOR fluid brakes after the amount of anti opinions I had read in forums.

I could be wrong on basement, just doesn't look insulated in the pics I have. I'm planning on prolonged sub-freezing use, hence the concern about insulation.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #13

Ask them workhorse chassis owners if they like hyd instead of air.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Ask them workhorse chassis owners if they like hyd instead of air.
What amazes me most about the WH situation is that it took 10 years to decide that phenolic pistons were the problem. No telling how much money was spent on slide pin replacement and other "fixes" before getting to the real problem.

As for the brakes, I spent over 30 years in heavy truck maintenance so I'm very familiar with cam type (drum) air brakes. Having seen several types of hyd and air/hyd on class A's, I would want nothing but full air if I were to purchase one.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, rvs