Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #1

Has anyone bought on Ebay?

I am pretty new to the forum but from what I've read so far, I know there are alot of friendly knowledgable folks on here. I've only had my '91 Elite class a for 2 years (and I love it) but I'm ready to make an upgrade. I've been doing some looking and I find myself drawn to the Rexhall "living room" floorplan. I've found a 2000 Rexhall Roseair on Ebay. It's as close to perfect for my needs and wants as I've found. I'd really appreciate your thought on both Rexhall and buying on Ebay. If I want this motorhome I have to make a move by Sunday so quick replys would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
A similar post and questions about this are here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/purch...ist-53692.html
I think the same would apply. I would certainly make the sale contingent on all systems passing an inspection as well as no evidence of water intrusion into the coach. At one time I was looking at a Rexhall Rose aire but for full time living I passed on it for our present coach. The secret is going to be how well any coach has been maintained. Take your time and you will find more than one of them in todays market.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I started using eBay as a way to find out what was really out there. It puts the whole world at your fingertips instead of just being limited to your local area. When we did find exactly what we were looking for, I put in a bid that I thought wouldn't even meet the reserve, but it did.

I immediately called the seller, and was up front from the beginning. If my bid held up, I was not going to complete the purchase until it passed inspection. I was in VA he was in FL. I was going to be flying down and driving it back, so he would need to wait until those arrangemnets could be made. I made it clear that I couldn't care less what he did as far as eBay and feedback nonsense, I wasn't paying a nickel until I checked it out. He wanted a substantial down payment, and I refused to send it.

He let us camp in it at a local rv park for 2 days and nights once we got to Florida. I was able to check it out from head to toe. I even changed the oil, and FedExed it off for analysis! Long story short, we got a MH we love, at a price considerably below blue book wholesale. The fact that gas was just peaking at $4 a gallon at that time probably had something to do with that.

Even with all the inspection we did, we still got stranded on the highway on our trip home by an ignition switch problem that as it turns out has been idnetified as a problem with this chassis, and Workhorse has a kit to fix it. Just luck of the draw. The last trip this couple took in the coach was from Florida to Idaho and back. This ignition switch had been cooking for years, and only became a problem during our trip home from VA to Florida.

Since then, there has been one other problem, actually I caught something before it became a huge problem that was due to work done by a mechanic that either didn't know what he was doing, or didn't care. I had to take it in to get some professional help with the issue, and that does not come cheap, but you will find that to be the case no matter what you end up buying. You trade saving money on the purchase price and missing out on the depreciation hit for no warranty.

All in all I would say listen to the advice you are getting here, take your time and don't rush. The sellers are very aware that this is still a buyers market even with gas prices back down a bit from when we bought ours. Even with the problems we have had, we still saved enough cash to make improvements along the way, and get things just the way we like them. If I had it to do over again, I would do it just the same way.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #4

A year ago I bought my 1990, 36' Fleetwood Southwind on eBay for less than 1/2 NADA value. I was and am still thrilled with the rig and the price and have not seen one that can even come close in price and value. Sure it's almost twenty years old but it was very well taken care of.

But I know I was lucky, some folks aren't. I agreed to the $500 deposit via Paypal and went to view my new RV. Two minor issues were taken care of before I paid for the vehicle (I purchased this from a dealer in Georgia). The only problems since were a flat about thirty miles out (due to low air pressure which should have been checked before I left) and normal stuff that has occurred such as replacing the batteries.

The key, as a previous poster mentioned, it to be able to view the RV and not make your payment until it meets the conditions of the ad which is the basis of your decision to buy. If the RV is close, by all means, go and check it out before bidding. Common sense will go a long way to making your eBay purchase a positive experience.

Good luck!

Steve
Old 06-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #5

Thanks to those of you that have responded! As it turns out the motorhome is close enough for me to take a look. I think I will fly out tonight, take a look in the morning, and fly home. My only issue is that I'm not very mechanical so I'm not sure how to know if it's in good mechanical shape. Guess I'll do what I need to and hope for the best! Thanks again and I'll keep you all posted!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #6

Check condition of tires & their date stamp/brand
pull dipstick & look @ & smell the oil (black &/or burnt are bad), and note oil level is correct or not
check age & condition of batteries, corrosion on terminals/cables?
did the guy start it before you showed up? (I'd tell him I need to check it cold before starting & see if he follows the order; if not there may be a problem starting cold that he is hiding)
operate everything and be prepared for excuses that may be offered;
take notes & oddles of photos, including inside hatches
beware shoddy DIY remodeling, especially of electrical panels; panels should look neat and orderly to a novice
have him show you all fuse locations & take photos
if stuff won't operate "because..." then figure out how to remove the impediment & if he stalls then there is a reason
take a PDI checklist & use it. Here is one for factory pickup of a new coach that would make a good starting point; maybe somebody else has a used coach PDI checklist link?
Don't be overwhelmed by the volume of the task, its all easy stuff but there should be a lot of it. Figure $500 for each problem you miss, and that'll motivate.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Got mine on e-bay...

Sent a certified mechanic to do a full inspection....

He found a diesel leak, but missed a couple things on his inspection..

Old tires,
Old batteries
Refrigerator compressor
AGS module
Hydraulic leak

I got the coach for about 75% of wholesale...spent $5k to bring it to "perfect"...so I am still under wholesale..dealer also made good on a couple things..

LIke any purchase of a used item....be sure to inspect BEFORE you give any money!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #8

I wholeheartedly concur with DMILES I bought a 2007 sunvoyager with 1500 miles on the clock for a very very low price I advised the seller I was willing to fly and see the MH but I would not send money simply on pictures and basic sales pitch . we agreed on my terms and I inspected a truly new coach but you can only do what is humanly possible and some problems may arise after you pay , do your due dilligence when inspecting do not take short cut .
Old 06-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #9

Thanks

Just wanted to thank all of you for your input. As it turns out I drove 10 hours to Tucson on Friday and looked at the coach on Saturday morning. The seller is a master with a camera. It was a long trip but it sure saved me a lot of money! Thanks again to all of you!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyrhythm View Post
Just wanted to thank all of you for your input. As it turns out I drove 10 hours to Tucson on Friday and looked at the coach on Saturday morning. The seller is a master with a camera. It was a long trip but it sure saved me a lot of money! Thanks again to all of you!
Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, you're liable to run into many of these before you find the perfect fit for you, your family and budget. But it's out there, that's for sure. The work and frustration you are going through now will save you a lot of the same down the road. Use all your options, eBay being just one of them. Hang in there!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:52 AM   #11

when you bid on an rv on e-bay? are you obligated to buy it, if you view it and don't like it. thanks walter
Old 06-25-2009, 04:22 AM   #12

If the ad is misrepresentative I cannot see why you would be obligated to complete the sale.

When I bought mine, before I sent the down payment I made sure that it was clear with the seller that if the RV did not meet the specs of the ad (for instance: everything running, no leaks, no rust) then I would not purchase the unit. There were a couple of minor issues with mine that the dealer took care of before I left the lot (genset was not running and the engine's alternator belts were loose). Unfortunately, most sellers require a non-refundable deposit.

Steve
Old 06-25-2009, 06:17 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the seller requires a substantial down payment, that needs to be stated in the eBay ad. The seller of my unit asked for $2500 after the auction was over. I refused, and there was nothing he could do because it wasn't stated in the terms of the auction.

As the rules read right now, the seller can not even leave negative feedback on the buyers eBay account. So if you inspect the RV and then back out, there is really nothing a seller can do. The reality of the situation is such that if a buyer claims the RV is not as advertised, it would be a difficult and costly case to prove otherwise in court.

As soon as I realized my bid met the sellers reserve price, red flags went up for me, so I got the sellers contact information and called him right away. Most folks will put things in an email that they may not say over the phone. I was up front with him from the beginning that if the RV didn't pass inspection, I would be flying back home instead of driving the RV. I was sure I would find something that was a deal breaker, but after 2 nights camping in it and driving it, I could find nothing that was not actually better than advertised. The deals are out there, but you have to be careful, and fair but firm.

If I had to do all over again, I would...
Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
No you are not obligated if it is misrepresented.

Another tip....Put the deposit on a credit card, if the vehicle is not as described, your credit card will cancel the charge and return your money. No Harm, No foul.

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote