Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #1

has anyone changed air dryer

Hi, I want to change the air dryer on my 97 country coach magna. Has anyone changed one on a 96, 97,or 98 on a gillig chassis. I want to order a filter for it but the owners manual doesn't list #s for it. Gillig is of no help, I at least got that its a Bendix from them but no #s to order a new one, or to cross ref.They have a replacement for it at $250 I asked if that was the filter or the whole unit housing n all, said he didn't know. hope someone can help

thanks dsilva

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #2

Easy, DO NOT CALL GILLIG...

Gillig may not provide correct unit, we ordered a kit based on VIN and it was not even close.

Local air brake shop, terminal air brake in Fresno, had correct unit in stock, tebuilt by bendix for about 100 bucks LESS than just the kit from gillig.

Gillig has provided great Tech support, but not the best place for generic parts.

Look in the phone book for truck air brake service and supply. It is likely an AD9, but if not it should be in stock, pull the unit and take it with you.

Good luck

Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #3

Just in case it is something else, look for model tag or get some good photos, the shop should be able to identify from that to at least tell you if they can help
Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #4

Any diesel truck shop will solve your problem....not much $.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #5

TQ60 thanks,I too think its a AD9 found a site on line with pics. the AD 9 looks like whats on the pic on the owners manual. Soon as the weather gets better I will pull
it out of the barn and look for the model tag and go from there.the one concern I have
removing it , is do i have to dump the air. Guess i have to ask a shop n see if they can tell me. Again thanks for ur input.

dsilva
Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #6

Formerboater thanks for ur reply. Iam a do it yourselfer n since I am going to service the M.H.this spring I will be ordering all the filters at the same time.But at the same time a diesel truck shop is a good place to ask questions.

dsilva
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #7

Yes, dump the air!

It has 3 or 4 hoses and 4 bolts, easy to do.

Hoses should all be different sizes, but tag them anyway.

Rebuilt one will come with brackets.

Remove unit with bracket attached, then remove bracket from unit, take everything to vendor, not all have same size fittings, they may need to check a few or supply an adaptor.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #8

TQ60, just got bk, fm. truck shop,guy very helpful he printed out 11 sheets on the AD 9 he said same thing dump air. There r 2 models that could apply to the 97 coach, unless previous owner replaced it with newer or diff. type when i take it out i will know what ive got.If its the AD9 the cartridge is $30.03 n a reman kit for the purge valve is $37.07 heck of a good price i think ! The kit comes with instructions, or maybe I'll have them install the kit. Again thanks much
dsilva
Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #9

Just put a kit in my 95 CC, I took it off went to Frieght Liner got the kit took about an hour.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #10

No need to replace the whole dryer. If you have most basic tool set they are very easy to rebuild for around $100.00 or less(the kits come with instructions) for all the parts, Removing the unit from the vehicle is the worst part. Did mine a while back about an hour and a half. Parts are avaliable from about any truck parts store, the AD 9 is a very common dryer.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We had our 91 Beaver (Gillig chassis) since 1994. I changed the cartridge in the air dryer once every 3 years. Easy job. Just make sure you have enough room under the coach to reach the dryer--and remember to make sure that if the air bags go flat, you still have enough room. Mine is located right behind the center of the front axle. Just take out the bolts around the bottom, drop out the cartridge and take it to a truck stop or truck parts store. There is a core charge so you'll need the old cartridge. Get the new cartridge and put it in. I did ours in less than an hour.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #12

Rufus Earl, thanks, is ur C C on a Gillig chas ? If so where did u find the air dryer. I was under my chas. yesterday n found it on the driver side in front of rear ax , a few inches below bott. floor. didn't have time or room to see how i am going to take it off.
I also know that I will have to dump the air, so i will need to work out a plan or take it to a shop that has a pit, or put it on stands.While I was looking I was able to read Bendix Air Dryer n a # on the outer housing. Bendix has 2 AD9 models, Standard AD9 n the Extended Purg the #s i fnd. r for the Extended Purge. Hope I can figure out a way to do it.
thanks dsilva
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
We had our 91 Beaver (Gillig chassis) since 1994. I changed the cartridge in the air dryer once every 3 years. Easy job. Just make sure you have enough room under the coach to reach the dryer--and remember to make sure that if the air bags go flat, you still have enough room. Mine is located right behind the center of the front axle. Just take out the bolts around the bottom, drop out the cartridge and take it to a truck stop or truck parts store. There is a core charge so you'll need the old cartridge. Get the new cartridge and put it in. I did ours in less than an hour.
bbean, thanks for ur reply. ur U295 Iam sure has a lot more room to move around n work on things. Had 94 U270, Man what a diff to a Gillig Chass. Again thanks for ur info.
dsilva
Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
super rep, thanks, hey guys sorry for the wrong quote in my reply to bbean. this is a reply super rep. wish mine was up front by the front axle. I really want to again thank all u guys for sharing with me ur experances not spelled right but spell chk. not working DW not here to help.
dsilva