Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #1

Has anyone gotten an exemption for CA Use Tax?

Going through this hell right now, wondering if anybody has done this and can give me advice. I have a lot of questions and nobody is answering them or I am getting conflicting information.

To be clear - I have already spoken with the BOE (DTFA) and they have granted me the use tax exemption clearance for the DMV (BOE-111) with a followup in 1 year to audit my documents.

Now I have to go get the vehicle registered/titled at a DMV since it was titled in the state I purchased it in (OR). I have the BOE-111. I am supposed to have something to reflect the titling, and I have a statement of application from the dealership. Since there are no paper titles anymore, I am not sure what to provide them to get this titled.

Second issue is smog check. I can't drive the RV into CA to get a smog check, so how can I handle that requirement? Is it even required since I am staying out of state for a year? I have gotten mixed messages on this, but from what I understand it has to be checked by a CA authorized mechanic.

Lastly, not even the BOE is answering me on this - one person said I should fill out BOE-447 which is a notarized form that the vehicle was delivered outside of the state of California. However the documents intent is for a CA dealership to deliver outside of the state of California. This is an Oregon dealer. Another said I didn't need this.

Would like someone who has actually gone through this and knows what is required.

Thanks
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #2

Is your rig a diesel? No smog check.

As for an exemption, someone on IRV2 recently claimed he paid no use tax in CA as he registered in CA and unit was delivered out of state. He waited >1yr to return to CA.

I bought our coach in Or, dealer put a 'trip ticket' in the window good for 30 days. We cruised all over Or and Wa for 5 months, then drove back to CA. We paid the use tax when we registered in CA.

I read thru some of that exemption stuff, it didn't apply to me. Good luck!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #3

Simple move out of CA everyone else is 😁
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Is your rig a diesel? No smog check.

As for an exemption, someone on IRV2 recently claimed he paid no use tax in CA as he registered in CA and unit was delivered out of state. He waited >1yr to return to CA.

I bought our coach in Or, dealer put a 'trip ticket' in the window good for 30 days. We cruised all over Or and Wa for 5 months, then drove back to CA. We paid the use tax when we registered in CA.

I read thru some of that exemption stuff, it didn't apply to me. Good luck!
What did you do after the 30 days and the trip ticket expired? I got an OR trip ticket as well only good for 10 days, but that means I have to register it somewhere. I do not plan on returning to CA for over a year.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keger View Post
Simple move out of CA everyone else is 😁
I just moved from Washington where A. Sales Tax is higher than where I live in CA and B. In Washington no matter how long you stay out of state, once you bring your motorhome into WA, you have to pay sales tax.

Not sure it is better many other places.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayza View Post
I just moved from Washington where A. Sales Tax is higher than where I live in CA and B. In Washington no matter how long you stay out of state, once you bring your motorhome into WA, you have to pay sales tax.

Not sure it is better many other places.
When you move from one state to another, most states will credit you with any sales tax you paid in the first state. If you had to repay full sales tax on everything you own every time you changed residence states nobody would ever move.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Like my wife always says...

Just pay the man.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I do believe you can bring the coach into CA for repair which would include smog. You can also license it but the DMV will want to see the sticker on the motor that says "50 states compliant" or something like that.

Sounds like you purchased in OR. If that's the case, I suggest you talk or go to the DMV in Redding,CA as they are very familiar with this situation.

I also suggest you read BOE PUB 52
Old 03-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #9

I purchased three RVs over the years, and had them delivered out of state ( CA purchased, delivered to Nevada). At the time, the required time to keep out of state was three months. You are allowed to bring in to CA for maintenance and repairs.

My dealer would not sell me the RV without paying the CA use (sales) tax up front. So I paid the tax and at the end of the three months asked for a refund of the tax, as I had met all the requirements. I kept complete records of RV parks I stayed in, fuel receipts, even miscellaneous receipts from other stores, to prove I actually was out of state that three months. Each time, without question, I was given the refund. BTW, I registered the rv in CA at the time of purchase, so registration was never an issue.

That three months is now 12. The same other rules apply I believe. I couldn't stay out for the 12 months on our last two RVs, so we just paid the piper.

I also considered a LLC in Montana, which is legal and doable, but lenders want 40% down because its a LLC, and insurance is hard to find. Just didn't seem worth it to me. Maybe I should leave CA but I'm too old to move, so guess I'll just stick it out.
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #10

On the OR trip ticket, I don't know if it was for 30 days, could well have been for 10 days, anyway, we just cruised around OR and WA from July to Nov then came back home, paid the CA use tax when we registered in CA. Painful.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
I purchased three RVs over the years, and had them delivered out of state ( CA purchased, delivered to Nevada). At the time, the required time to keep out of state was three months. You are allowed to bring in to CA for maintenance and repairs.

My dealer would not sell me the RV without paying the CA use (sales) tax up front. So I paid the tax and at the end of the three months asked for a refund of the tax, as I had met all the requirements. I kept complete records of RV parks I stayed in, fuel receipts, even miscellaneous receipts from other stores, to prove I actually was out of state that three months. Each time, without question, I was given the refund. BTW, I registered the rv in CA at the time of purchase, so registration was never an issue.

That three months is now 12. The same other rules apply I believe. I couldn't stay out for the 12 months on our last two RVs, so we just paid the piper.

I also considered a LLC in Montana, which is legal and doable, but lenders want 40% down because its a LLC, and insurance is hard to find. Just didn't seem worth it to me. Maybe I should leave CA but I'm too old to move, so guess I'll just stick it out.
This is the part I can't figure out is how to register it. The DMV is telling me that I must bring the vehicle into the state of CA for smog check and vin verification. That even if the dealership sent the registration information, I must physically appear with the vehicle to have it inspected in order to be issued license plates.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #12

Is your rig diesel powered?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use Barbs Auto Registration Service in Escondido CA instead of going to the DMV. Knowledgeable and a lot less hassle. Well worth their modest fee. Suggest to give them a call to discuss.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #14

Or AAA; but I don't think either will work with what you are trying.