Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #1

Has anyone here taken delivery of American coach at factory ?

We have just bought a 2011 American Revolution and taking delivery at the factory and would like to know of anyone else experience with their delivery.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey vetteguy..Welcome to the best forum on the internet. What year vette???

Keep us posted on your factory pick-up adventures.

Saw the Revolution at Redmond, Had to use "sleeper hold" on DW, or we would have one now. One fine looking machine.

Kerry

Old 10-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #3

Hello Kerry,

I should have thought about that "sleeper hold" myself when we were at the Hershey Rv show. Our vette is a C5 2002 with a bunch of goodies added to it. I guess this is where my DW should put one of those "S.H." on me. I still can't figure out away to take all my toys with us when we leave for an extended vacation. But we enjoy traveling in the motor home also so I guess it all woks out in the end. I will leave my impressions of picking up the coach at the factory when we do. But I was hoping someone that has done this already could give me theirs (will see). Thank you for agreeing with us on liking the new Revolution.
Bill
Old 10-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We haven't done that, but know of several who have and they all rave about it. You get a personal rep to handle your wants and needs and a team assigned to make sure everything is just right.

There is a terrific American Coach owners group on Yahoo and I suggest you join. Don't leave here, though. This is a much broader source of RVing info than any single owner's group.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Bill: Give some thought about this.

I, and others, have seen enclosed trailer being pulled behind MH's. A fellow rv'er tows his Mustang Gt "vert" in the trailer along with "his and her's" motorcycles. I think it was a Featerlite or similiar type trailer. He was staying in two places in Florida for about three months each place. Crystal River then Palm Beach County. His stick house is in the Pittsburgh,PA area. He & DW had toured other states by using base camps and seemed to have a handle on it.

The pro is: you got it all!!. The con is: what to do with the trailer. The fuel wasn't a big deal to him...just a thought.

Kerry
Old 10-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had multiple suggestions from current owners to consider factory delivery, and we would like to have done so, but I couldn't justify the $5k asking price for it. That's a lot of upgrades, fuel and/or campground fees. We'll just have to 'settle' for delivery at our dealer, Tom Johnson's in North Carolina, now tentatively scheduled for November 1st. The Revolution wasn't on my initial list of rigs to check out, but once we saw them at the Louisville rally, it jumped to our short list.

Two more weeks, but who's counting?!
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #7

Thanks Gary,
And I really do like this site , so I won't leave here.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #8

Thank you Kerry,
The con for us is a big one as in what to do with the stacker trailer when not in use at home and on the road. So I do have flat trailers to haul the cars and the UTV's as needed around home base here. They just get cheeted out of the long trips.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We had multiple suggestions from current owners to consider factory delivery, and we would like to have done so, but I couldn't justify the $5k asking price for it. That's a lot of upgrades, fuel and/or campground fees. We'll just have to 'settle' for delivery at our dealer, Tom Johnson's in North Carolina, now tentatively scheduled for November 1st. The Revolution wasn't on my initial list of rigs to check out, but once we saw them at the Louisville rally, it jumped to our short list.

Why would they charge 5K to have delivery at their factory? I would think that they would encourage the buyers to do that! Almost sounds like they do not want to deal directly with their customers.Someone is still got to pay someone to get it to N Carolina?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I suspect we could have negotiated that down to $2500 - $3k, but still.

From talking with those that have done this, they assign a factory rep to you, full time, for at least three days. They go through every system and appliance in great detail (operation, maintenance, trouble shooting, etc.), along with all the service points and requirements. If you find anything you don't like, they get on their portible radio and call someone in from that department to immediately take care of it, like within minutes. All the while you camp right there. Anything else you discover while living in it gets taken care of immediately.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 10-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Doing delivery at the factory is an extra cost to the factory, sinc enormally the dealer does all that and pays for it out of his profit margin. You should be able to get a better price from the dealer if you take factory delivery, because the dealer's cost is less. No delivery costs to the dealer either, so that saves another $100-$2000 in the retail price. Somebody has to pay the factory team for the extra work for PDI, customer walk-throughs, clean & prep, though. Any necessary repairs are free regardless of where the delivery is done - the factory warranty covers that part.

I think Fleetwood's new owners raised the factory delivery fee - it used to be around $3k, if I remember correctly.

Fleetwood isn't the only factory that charges for factory delivery service - I know Winnebago does too. And several RV factories simply refuse to do it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post

In Marion, NC? They have a very nice campground next to the service area. I would have no issue taking delivery there! IMHO
Explorer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2 View Post
In Marion, NC? They have a very nice campground next to the service area. I would have no issue taking delivery there! IMHO
That's the plan. We should be arriving on Holloween (Sunday), to take delivery on Monday. We'll probably hang out there for much of the week, then we have plans to meet friends at Stone Mountain GA.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 10-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dealer delivery ?

The only - I see with a Dealer delivery is the 'MILES'. Here in the west, we sure have a few on the counter by the time it gets here, and they do not come off the warranty.
How did the Driver handle the new coach.... just give it to the engine (it's not my coach) or did he touch the pedal lightly?

TW

TW is offline   Reply With Quote