Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2015, 07:02 AM   #15

[IMG][/IMG]

This owner had hired a driver to deliver his motorhome. I was working in my garage when I heard this mess happen.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the consensus is go pick it up LOL I bought my RV in Aug from LD in Tampa (I live in Okla) I arranged my inspection and pick up with the dealer over a weekend. Southwest flight was $190 one way, took two days to drive home with a few nap stops in my RV (excellent opportunity to check out slides, generator, water, tanks and all sorts of things on my coach) 1400 miles is pretty close to my same distance. If both of you go still a pretty cheap plane ticket and well worth the experience.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
I think the consensus is go pick it up LOL I bought my RV in Aug from LD in Tampa (I live in Okla) I arranged my inspection and pick up with the dealer over a weekend. Southwest flight was $190 one way, took two days to drive home with a few nap stops in my RV (excellent opportunity to check out slides, generator, water, tanks and all sorts of things on my coach) 1400 miles is pretty close to my same distance. If both of you go still a pretty cheap plane ticket and well worth the experience.
"He speaks the truth, my son!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maleva Gypsy.png
Views:	112
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	109077  
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #18

You don't normally get a super-duper price on a MH unless there is a story. Bear in mind that new motorhomes (no trade) are generally for sale at 20% off sticker or better. So, a super-duper price would be 40% off. Probably not going to happen. Plus, unlikely that you will drive 1,400 miles in a brand-new motorhome without one or more problems. Whose responsibility?
If its used, you want to really inspect it. Any warranty? You need to see service records, and ideally talk to the previous owner(s). A motorhome is more complex that a car.
Why not try beating up on a dealer close to home -- you might be surprised how well you can do.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've bought lots of things - high dollar things, sight unseen. However, you just can't shop for a used motorhome like this. 98% of the used units that we looked at internet wise had serious hidden flaws, some of them so massive that it'd blow your mind.

It's simply worth the trip up there to look.

Even if you have to fly back and THEN have it transported, it's worth it...

Trust me.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
...So, a super-duper price would be 40% off. Probably not going to happen....
I'm on my third brand-new motorhome since 2004, (and fifth RV if you include my PopUp and 5th wheel).

All were purchased at 40% or more off MSRP. The "story" with all of them is that the individual dealers have new stock that has already arrived and they need to get rid of the "old" inventory, (last year's models), QUICK, (to pay off their lenders).

That's why I will always fly out to the best deal, (wherever I find it in the entire country), and drive it back home.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:23 PM   #21

Drive it yourself

I have a lot of personal knowledge with most of the drive away companies. Drivers will sleep in your new coach. Smoke in your new coach. I have seen couples be couple in other people's stuff. If those things don't offend you. Go ahead.
Ziggy319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:58 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy319 View Post
I have a lot of personal knowledge with most of the drive away companies. Drivers will sleep in your new coach. Smoke in your new coach. I have seen couples be couple in other people's stuff. If those things don't offend you. Go ahead.
In that case, the OP should invest in a blacklight and a CSI kit.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #23

Go get it!

We had a private inspection done...well worth the money. I flew from So Cal to Houston on a Thursday morning with Spirit for under $75...no kidding....test drove, requested some very minor repairs, and did the paperwork. I left the dealership around 6:00 pm. I was home safe and sound by Saturday at 3:00pm....and even had the rig washed on my way through Quartzite. Total trip was 1490 miles. Absolutely worth it and would do it again without hesitation, as long as you are confident that the rig is ready for just such a trip.
Anthony
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I flew in and made the deal on our rig. Flew back up two weeks later one way, drive it home from PA to GA stopping at Hershey show for a couple fry camp days. Best way to learn a new coach, trial by fire. Make it an adventure.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #25

Since everyone else is telling their story....

I was in Dallas on business and had spent the nights in the hotel searching for an RV. Found on in Syracuse NY, and negotiated a price if the unit was everything they said it was. Changed my flight from DFW to CLT to fly into SYR. Arrived early the next day, used a free rental credit for a car. Checked out the coach, negotiated a few fixes, and told them to get started. They told me they couldn't get the tires (free for me) by the end of the day but I could pick it up the following Friday. I agreed, and went to the car to book the next flight home. Decided that instead of burning AA miles that I would drive. Drove all night, turned car in at airport and came home. The next Thursday after work, picked up a free rental car and drove all night back to Syracuse. Met them when they opened, realized everything wasn't done, and pushed them to get to work. The salesman took me and my buddy to the Dinosaur BBQ for a late lunch. Afterwards, the coach was ready so we headed south for NC in a heavy snow storm. Drove it all the way to Hagerstown MD before stopping for the night. Got up the next morning and finished the drive.

Was a fun experience. My buddy and I boon docked in the Wally World parking lot and knocked out several cold beers while cuttin up.

I would do it again.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome