Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #1

Has anyone hired someone to pick and drive home a new motorhome?

We may have found our perfect motorhome at a great price. Unfortunately it is located in another state 1400 hundred miles away. Are there services that inspect and then drive cross country to deliver? We both work and can't get enough time off. Just exploring the possibility. Thank you for any input.
janniemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The inspection(s) and shuttle driver to bring it home are usually not one in the same. I recommend a professional inspection, then based upon positive results, you fly to do the final inspection and acceptance. Separate then is the coordination with someone to do the shuttle drive.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
As much money as you will have invested I think it is EXTREMELY important to be there for the predelivery inspection and to take it on a test drive. Problems discovered 1400 miles later are going to make you unhappy with your purchase. Sounds to me like you might be coming down with the flu and will be out of the office for a week.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by janniemac View Post
We may have found our perfect motorhome at a great price. Unfortunately it is located in another state 1400 hundred miles away. Are there services that inspect and then drive cross country to deliver? We both work and can't get enough time off. Just exploring the possibility. Thank you for any input.
Where do you live and where is the MH located and what type is it.
Alphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:15 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree, where and where? There are plenty of us that drive
king yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
janniemac, there are several of us retired law enforcement types that shuttle high dollar autos (BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac and a few Japanese brands) around the south east. Please make sure your insurance is OK with having someone other than the owner drive the coach. You are likely going to get some ridiculous prices from some who just want to drive your coach.

We usually have a chase car to get us back to where we started. I guess in your situation a towed vehicle would work just as well.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janniemac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
As much money as you will have invested I think it is EXTREMELY important to be there for the predelivery inspection and to take it on a test drive. Problems discovered 1400 miles later are going to make you unhappy with your purchase. Sounds to me like you might be coming down with the flu and will be out of the office for a week.
I agree. This much like getting a mail order spouse.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #8

My Father-in-law does this for an RV dealership in MS all the time. They go in pairs of two so they have a follow car to return home in.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #9

Why would you make such a huge purchase like this without being there? Would you buy stock in a company you don't know anything about? Why are you buying this motorhome?

Go have an adventure! Take a few days to drive it home yourself. Enjoy it! That is why you bought it, isn't it?
Old 10-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Replies #2, #3 and #7 are the best answers.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
FreedomDream said it best: go and drive it home, you won't regret it
king yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I took delivery inMelbourne Florida and drove it home to Los Angeles, California in 4 days, (after spending a week at Fort Wilderness with the kids). While I really do not recommend it, it can be done.

The flu typically lasts up to 7 days. You wouldn't want to get your coworkers or customers sick!

Unless if you withhold final payment until it's delivered to you for your inspection, (very unlikely that anyone will agree to let your delivery driver take it), I would just make an "emergency" mini-vacation out of having fly out and drive it back.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:48 AM   #13

I own a 35 ft. I would be willing to work out a deal, however like others said you should at least inspect home and then hire a driver.
hvac45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #14

If you buy it unseen by you and pay someone to deliver it to you, let me know. I have a bridge to sell and would make you a great deal. I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome