Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Has anyone hooked up their home forced air heat to a MH?

This just popped in my head the other day.

My MH is parked right in front of my heated garage. I've got a 4" take-off from the forced air heat duct in the garage.

I was just kind of looking at the take-off, wondering how I could connect it to the MH, keep the temp up over the winter.

It would mean some sort of connection point to a basement compartment, and then some sort of duct between the basement and the living space...anybody seen this done before?

John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
6mm

I like someone that is always thinking and has new ideas.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Flex duct is round and no reason not to try that. Only problem you will have in the house is make up air. Every CU FT you put in the RV has to be replaced in the house. that will come in through every crack in every door or window. We have a make up air intake in our home and it is draft controlled. keep a positive pressure in the house.

How often do you need to have the MH up to temperature?? run the furnace and supplement with a cube electric heater when you need too.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a reasonable idea and probably more cost efficient then running separate heat in the RV. I understand the issue with air loss in the house but you may put a regulator in the duct going to the RV and limit the volume of air to what you need to keep it warmed to the level you need.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Our washer & dryer is in the garage so I use one of these in the winter. No sense in wasting the heat and the lint that gets by the screen trap in the dryer lands in the water in the box.

Repurposed warm humid air.

Name:   dryer vent.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  9.9 KB
Old 11-26-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
On several of the truck stops on the Florida Turnpike there are stations with A/C hook-ups for truckers to fit in the windows of their rigs to allow them to sleep with A/C and not run the engines. Same situation with heat ought to work with what you are proposing. Return air might or might not be an issue
Old 11-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #7

If you want a trial run, it would be easy to make a cardboard template to fit into an open window of the motorhome, with the flex duct going through the cardboard. Of course you will not get distribution via the motorhome furnace ducts but it would be a proof of concept to see what other problems develop.

Fred
Old 11-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
If you are going to do it I would consider installing a return along with your output duct. Would be far more efficient for your house and RV.

I would also consider insulated ducting.

Steph and Eden

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramichi View Post
If you are going to do it I would consider installing a return along with your output duct. Would be far more efficient for your house and RV.

I would also consider insulated ducting.

Steph and Eden

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
I agree. To make room for the heated air to move into the coach, the cool air that's in the coach should be allowed to move back into the house.

That would also solve the issue about air loss in the house.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks all, great bunch of thoughts. Not being an HVAC guy, I hadn't thought about the entire "flow", ie, warm air in, cool air out...

Thanks, Fred, for the "trial run" suggestion...sometimes I get ahead of myself and go straight to what I consider the final solution...I was getting my head wrapped around firewall duct, vs basement duct...temporary window duct just might be a real good starting point.
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I moved back to arkansas from overseas I bought an old farm house. The first thing we did was add a 1200 sq foot addition that was 3 bedrooms. It was summer and the original house did not have HVAC. My brother in law installed HVAC units and had a spare package unit. We set it in place outside of the house. Cut a 8 inch hole in a piece of plywood the size of a window. We made two of the plywood cutouts. Installed that in a window in the living room and then installed the other one in one of the existing bedrooms in the back of the house. Hooked the package unit to them and ran that way all summer while we were building the new section of the house. It kept the house cool during 100 degree days. The point is that you could do the same thing probably with your unit. Make a piece of playwood you could mount into an open window at the front and a second one at the back. run a piece of flex duct from your HVAC ductwork into the front. get a bathroom exhaust fan and run the ductwork from the back of the motorhome to the house and hook to the exhaust fan. This will help circulate air through the motor home.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #12

Do you have heated tanks?

If so then you have a 4 inch connection already.

Using window interface good if it can properly seat and seal.

Roof vent also possible via making a box that sets on top or the open vent but a whole lot of hose required for that.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only flaw I see is....your house is better insulated (hopefully), when your house T-stat is "satisfied" and shuts down the hot air, your motorhome will be cooler. personally I don't think it will work very well if the temp gets below 35 or so. But I would be interested in seeing how it actually works!
Old 11-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You already have a problem with "return air" due to the extension into the garage, unless there's a return air vent in the garage. If there is, there won't be as much of a problem with the diversion of air to the RV.

Big Oil Guy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat